FRCFoamies Mig 29 Scale Twin Prop

Discussion in 'FRCFoamies Plans' started by F1wanabe, Feb 24, 2017.

1. Yeah, those red bottom motors are insane and power hungry! I was using 70C battery and its getting warm with 10-20s bursts... not sure what it would do with those red bottom motors :p

Airflow and Wildthing like this.
  2. I was just reading the specs on them, tons of power but yes they do like a lot of juice, you won't get away with the 30 or 40A esc's. :)

Airflow and malukk like this.
  3. Yeah, they have very similar specs to what I am using. Test results for most race quad motors is right on here:
    http://www.miniquadtestbench.com/emax-rs2306-2750kv.html

Lars, if you plan on going 6S then also look for the new EFAW motors:
    https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?2867187-EFAW-2407R-motors

They claim to go up to 2.5KG of thrust on 6S and the weight of these moors is only about 40g...

Airflow and Wildthing like this.
  4. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

O, oh.. Malukk, 6s!:D No way! I use 30A ESC's to keep the weight down, although the DYS Storm takes 35A on 4s. But I rarely use full throttle more than brief moments at a time.

Wildthing, homey666 and malukk like this.
  5. Ok, so here is the video that shows the afterburners... no fancy flying - just normal cruising around in calm weather with beautiful sunset late evening to try to capture the "afterburner lights" on tape:

6. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Wow, KK, that looks really good! Makes the plane look really scale.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Wildthing, Airflow and malukk like this.
  7. Boxermad84

Boxermad84 Administrator

Wow, those after burners are awesome, I might have to do that! Nice work guy's with these builds! Love seeing your builds.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Wildthing, Airflow and malukk like this.
  8. you'll love it Jay! adds a whole another look to it... See the attached .ino file that you can upload to your arduino nano board and connect it to the WS2812 LED's. I am using 14 pixels (LEDs) total (7 in each nacelle) from a 144LEDs/m strip...

Attached Files:

Flybyknight22, Wildthing and Airflow like this.
  9. Boxermad84

Boxermad84 Administrator

Oh nice, thanks!

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Wildthing and malukk like this.
  10. jimbosflyin

jimbosflyin Top Gun

mulukk,I saw on Flit Test where they attached some freyed fiber glass cloth by the lights extending about 3 inches out the back and it trasfured the light threw them produceng a flame affect out the back of the naccels.

F1wanabe, Wildthing and malukk like this.
  11. Yes, I have tried that long time ago and did a whole bunch of tests... Its a thrust killer! With rear mount motors, it doesn't feed clean air to props and with mid-mount motors, the air leaving the plane is very VERY turbulent... You can notice a huge difference in the flight characteristics - it is reduced drastically! Its because the fiberglass thread bounce up and down to disrupt the airflow in either cases.

That said... here, the nice thing about this design is that you can not only mount the LEDs inside the engine nacelles (and hide) but you can use the white foam to dissipate light - this way you are not killing/compromising your thrust and/or performance... and in my opinion this actually looks a lot better as the foam illuminates much better than the fiberglass threads :)

As far as the flame effect goes, I have programmed that into my LEDs...

This is what I had done on the FRC F-22 where you can see the flame effect along with flames changing colors to throttle response:

Wildthing and jimbosflyin like this.
  12. That's cool, looks lie your plane is on fire. :)

F1wanabe, jimbosflyin and malukk like this.
  13. Nightswatch

Nightswatch Top Gun

Maluk you got a link as to where you got them motors and props etc my god it took off like a rocket very nice flying

Wildthing, F1wanabe and malukk like this.
  14. Well I got the motors and escs from rcgroups for a nice deal...
    You can also find them either on helidirect.com (my local store) or from getfpv.com

Motors: T-motor F40 pro
    Esc: T-motor F45A
    Props: dal 5045 v2 or HQ 5045

15. CRMERC

CRMERC Ace Pilot

Airflow and F1wanabe like this.
  16. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

Nice! :)
    35A is recommended for that motor but 30A is enough for normal flight without full throttle all the time.

17. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

New pictures of the weekend's work with number two. :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Wow, a work of art, Lars! Jay and I are watching a few of your videos together while since our plane is delayed and we have some time to kill. Awesome work and flying so far, Lars!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

19. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

Nice that you like how it comes together (so far ;-)), I have a vague feeling that it will be quite aerobatic. The plane is almost complete now, but lacks the out of stock motors....

Nice of you guys to kill time by my videos Thanks! But don't forget to get out to the field!;)

Wildthing and malukk like this.
  20. Had mine out for a quick little flight yesterday, played a little to close to the ground though, broke the props but nothing else. ;)