FRCFoamies Mig 2.88 AFC- Plan Available!

Discussion in 'FRCFoamies Plans' started by F1wanabe, Mar 7, 2015.

1. TomMonton

TomMonton Administrator

Yes I did the same on my scale built earlier. A tube inside a tube mechanism and drive the canards with one servo. I did have to add some washers so they didn't rub together at the seam.

Me too ... i will have to scroll back a year ago.

homey666 and malukk like this.
  2. I know from my last build that this plane gets a little tail heavy and I was balancing it with a 3000mah battery so trying to put the servos as far forward as possible esp. for the canards, its going to be hidden inside the fuse...
    [​IMG]

TomMonton, homey666 and Wildthing like this.
  3. TomMonton

TomMonton Administrator

I did notice that with using a quad motor I could practically mount it flush with the prop slot. [​IMG]

Wildthing and malukk like this.
  4. Good eye there Tom! I modified the motor mount to accommodate my F40 Tiger motors... used simple mounts here as motor mount support:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Need to design a custom motor mount...

Wildthing likes this.
  5. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

KK, good point! I always place as much static weight (servos, esc,rx)as forward as I can to give battery placement flexibility. With the quad motors and their lighter escs as opposed to MJv3 and 20a escs you will probably be much more forward with CG, and the Servo placement should be icing on the cake! Looking good!

malukk likes this.
  6. Finished with the foam build and now just need to attach motors with motor mounts and sanding and other stuff.

[​IMG]

One additional mod here: After experiencing the blended wing body design on F-22 and Mig-29, I decided to add those here as well just like what Lars (@Airflow) had done on his. Super simple with only one rib on the inside. Not sure if I’ll be able to fly like him but I know it definitely makes it buttery smooth in flight performance...

[​IMG]

7. TomMonton

TomMonton Administrator

Yeah... yeah... ya show off.

I'm working over here, lemme catch up.

The scaled enlargement on this plan has been right on the mark so far. 6mm slots, 3mm spar ... no errors found yet.

[​IMG]

malukk and Wildthing like this.
  8. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

KK is always right on the mark so I don't think you'll find anything wrong, Tom!

TomMonton and malukk like this.

9. Looks good Tom! The only missing cut out on this plan is the slot for the vertical spine as shown here:

[​IMG]

I simply took the center point of the battery tray cut out and cut a slot to the length of spar’s piece that goes into it... the slot size specifically is going to be 45mmx6mm...

TomMonton and Wildthing like this.
  10. TomMonton

TomMonton Administrator

Bracing is stuck down and the elevators are a part of the aircraft again.

Finally ... now I can start putting pieces back together and move on a little more.

Happy new year everyone !![​IMG]

F1wanabe, malukk and Wildthing like this.
  11. Happy New year Tom and everyone else.

F1wanabe, TomMonton and malukk like this.
  12. Did you catch my quick edit Malukk???? ;)

F1wanabe and malukk like this.
  13. Thanks Jeff! Happy new year to you as well and all the fellow members here.

Looks good Tom! Nice and clean...

Done installing motors on mine and additional 1mm CF supports marked by red arrows really brings a lot of stability (avoiding lateral movement) on the tail end of the structure...

[​IMG]

F1wanabe and TomMonton like this.
  14. Haha, you bet I did!

Wildthing likes this.
  15. TomMonton

TomMonton Administrator

I had planned to use 3mm the same as you would a spar ... then 1.5mm rods on the under side so I don't have to look at it . Same difference.

What did you end up using for motor mounts ?[​IMG]

16. I 3d printed custom ones... let me send over the stl files to you over message.

F1wanabe and Wildthing like this.
  17. TomMonton

TomMonton Administrator

Motor mounts are on the table and should be finished in a few minutes... thank you again Kk!!

The next few days will be slow going because work tends to insist I focus on matters at hand ... go figure.

I do need to tinker toy a workable linkage idea for the canards yet. That will eat up a few hours and a trip to the hardware store.[​IMG]

FED50H, Wildthing and malukk like this.
  18. TomMonton

TomMonton Administrator

Picked up some 5/32 tubing to use on the canard controls.

A 3mm carbon fiber tube fits nicely inside the metal tubing. It will serve as the guide ...or bushing hinge'ing the canards.

That and lots of careful gluing [​IMG]

F1wanabe, Wildthing and malukk like this.
  19. Could you join those tubes by soldering?

20. TomMonton

TomMonton Administrator

Yeah but ... one is aluminum and the other is brass. Dissimilar materials normally don't bond well especially over time.

I have enough to do three planes probably. 3mm cf tube slides inside the metal tubing. I did plan to build another scale size and migrate to a quad motor and see what i can return that way. That's all this craft really lacked, on my setup anyway, was that exciting 4s snap on a throttle punch. I still have my original orange lava lamp plane waiting on the rack.[​IMG]

F1wanabe and malukk like this.