FRCFoamies Mig 2.88 AFC- Plan Available!

Discussion in 'FRCFoamies Plans' started by F1wanabe, Mar 7, 2015.

1. Flybyknight22

Flybyknight22 Top Gun

Hey Braw!

Add some paint to hide a couple of those minor scratches, do some of that twin motor Mageek!

Then that should fly! :)

Wildthing, bimoadiprakoso and Airflow like this.
  2. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

sure,;) as soon as I have seen your prospective X-32 in the air!
    looking forward to it! Good luck!:)

3. Flybyknight22

Flybyknight22 Top Gun

You got it!

Took her to the chop shop for the remix modification so she's not the same plane at all now.

It looks like the remix mod "might" clean yours up some BUT then again, after looking 2-3 times more at the pics,... Maybe not :)

Wildthing and bimoadiprakoso like this.
  4. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

naa, Nothing is impossible, I have repaired some of my planes in worse condition than this, it's all about desire and time to fix it... ..so much else going on, and just one week left in freedom...:( then back to work, all the way up to Christmas.:eek: lol

5. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

May be a little late, but this is the prototype with KF2 and LE flaps:
    20150308_160408 (1).jpg
    And the preview video featured it. Very stable in high alpha and aerobatic at the same time with the kf2! If speed is not important then go for it! The flat wing is faster.

6. Flybyknight22

Flybyknight22 Top Gun

I am hearing what you are saying Lars,

Time is precious for sure.

I really don't have time to build the Mig-2.88 but bad weather set in for several days so I started the build.

I thought after building the Mig-2.88 I would give it a rest for awhile and then out comes
    FRCs HighLander, RCPowers V5s and Bimo's PI YF23! :)

I don't have the time for this but I keep getting sucked into the RC Worm Hole!

7. Flybyknight22

Flybyknight22 Top Gun

No worries F1,

Yeah I saw that.

I have been through the entire thread a couple of times and saw several questions about this.

I have been looking for and over some of the different ideas and solutions that you and others did during the build to incorporate the KF2 with the lower wing plate LE Slats and I saw a couple different ways that would work.

I'm putting the KF2 over the LE slats and cutting them to match up with the lower slats.

I cut out different sized KF2s to fully cover the LE Slats over the wing plate and then cut them so that both match up.

It might have been less fuss to do it exactly like the F-18V4 LE slats where the KF2 laid on top of the wing plate and the slat was simply scored and folded into the KF2 then bent over the edge of the wing plate but decided to do this instead.

This should be fine, getting ready to glue in the CF Rod.

image.jpeg

Here is a comparison between the two KF2s:

Original KF2 from PDF plans.
    image.jpeg

New KF2

image.jpeg

8. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Wildthing and bimoadiprakoso like this.
  9. Flybyknight22

Flybyknight22 Top Gun

F1
    Thanks for clarifying that.

I understand what you are saying.

The problem was just trying to figure out how that should be implemented because I didn't see any straight forward build instructions covering this part adequately at least not from my perspective.

That is why I had questions about it and I assume that that is why there were other questions regarding the same problem about the KF2 LE Slats configuration.

I think I have it figured out, at least I hope so.

I guess I will find out one way or another on the maiden.

Thanks again for your help.

F1wanabe likes this.
  10. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

Haha, Yup! The confusion is total. Too many interesting plane to build from several talented team here at the forum... hard to keep up!

Flybyknight22 and Wildthing like this.
  11. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

We designed it to fly best all around without kfs at all and that is my preferred set up for the best combination of speed, high alpha and light weight. But Jay and I also realized that people love their kfs so we threw them on there. I'd say don't bother unless high alpha is the most important thing for you. However, at the end of the first post, johnfromoz's build pics show the kf2 with integrated le flaps pretty well. It's at the end of the first post so you may not have seen it!

www.frcfoamies.com
    www.youtube.com/user/gstrysky

Last edited: Jul 30, 2016
    Wildthing likes this.
  12. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Here are the kf related photos from the build pics in the first post...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I hope these are helpful!

www.frcfoamies.com
    www.youtube.com/user/gstrysky

Airflow and Wildthing like this.
  13. Flybyknight22

Flybyknight22 Top Gun

F1,

Thanks again for your help.

No, I saw all the videos and pictures without any problems.

It's just that the lack of step by step clear build instructions causes folks to ask questions to clarify what they need to do, me included.

I saw one of your posts where you considered providing actual build instructions and so I searched for them through the thread a couple of times thinking that I might have missed them but that's ok.

I finally managed to figure out what I thought was required after going through the entire thread a few times and seeing what you and others did.

Thanks again for all your help.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2016
    Wildthing likes this.
  14. Flybyknight22

Flybyknight22 Top Gun

When dry fitting I saw that I initially left out a part that saved me from messing up during the glueing process.

The next thing I did was glue up some of the center support sections and the lower electronics bay piece.

I will dry fit the fuselage over these parts to see if I should glue that next or wait and glue this section to the wing plate instead.

image.jpeg

Wildthing, malukk and Airflow like this.
  15. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

You should glue that section together and then glue to wing plate. Then wrap the nose around it.

16. Flybyknight22

Flybyknight22 Top Gun

F1,
    Thanks man, I was wondering what might be best to do next.

I will glue the little forward bulkhead piece in the slot at the very front of the wing plate first and then glue this long center spline to the wing plate.

Then I'll wrap the nose/fuse around the center spline.

That sounds good!

F1wanabe and Wildthing like this.
  17. Flybyknight22

Flybyknight22 Top Gun

I stole Scott's paint scheme from his RCPowers F-22 v5.

In the spirit of this guerrilla build I didn't fill in and smooth the crack joints, just slapped it together and went on but without all the normal stuff I usually do on a plane I still like the way she turned out.

Not much left now, just need to add the servos, ESC, control horns, check and set the throws then take her out for a test flight.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

pileit1, Wildthing, homey666 and 5 others like this.
  18. e3_Scott

e3_Scott Top Gun

Very slick finish and paint, FBK, hopefully should be easy to track in the sky:)

Is that your first time experimenting with a 3 bladed prop? Which motor are you using?

Good luck with the maiden flight:cool:

Cheers,

Scott

Flybyknight22, Wildthing and F1wanabe like this.
  19. Flybyknight22

Flybyknight22 Top Gun

Thanks Scott,

Camo looks great on all these Migs I see here in the forum including the 2.88 but for my tired old eyes it is a paint scheme that does not work for me while the bird is airborne. Great on the ground, not so good in the air.

I wanted to mimic your paint scheme because besides being PURTEE :) it is simple to incorporate and looked like it provided good contrast for visual cueing during flight. My depth perception isn't quite what it used to be and your paint scheme is easier for me to see.

Scott, this prop is a MasterAirScrew 6x4x3.

It currently is on an NTM-2000kv motor but this is just for mock up checking for alignment in the prop-slot. It will be getting the Zoom-450.

This prop choice will not be the very fastest so Wildthing probably won't like it but it still gives most foamies, the size that we have a tendency to build, good overal speed for fun flying.

To me the main benefit of this 3-blade prop should be overall smoother power through its rpm spectrum but most important,..
    FAR LESS TORQUE ROLL, WITH FULL POWER APPLIED ! :)

As you know I like the 7x3 and 7x4 props but you have to be aware of the torque roll on 3-cell that they have a tendency to produce, especially on take off. The MasterAirScrew 6x4x3 is a good compromise between the 7" and standard 6x4 props.

Coupled to a PowerUp 400, 450 Zoom the guys at FRC have had some very nice "STABLE" flights with plenty of power for normal aerobatics and High Alpha flying.

There are good motors out there but my personal favorite is the PowerUp Zoom 450. It is very versatile in the props that it can swing safely (up to 7x4 on 3s) and is powerful for its size and weight.

It's not quite as powerful as the NTMs but almost, it however is lighter. The Zoom 450 is the best motor "overall" in what it can do than any other I have tested so far in these light Foamies.

Everybody has a personal favorite motor and one gets the nod over the other based on purposed use but I just can't say enough good about the 450, with the 400 probably a close second.

"If" I had to rate all the motors I have used/tested so far I would say that the NTM-2000 comes in third, NTM-2700 fourth, NTM-3000KV 5th and the Turnigey 2200KV in there somewhere :).

All are good choices depending on how and what you are flying and of course we all know there are other good ones out there as well, these are just the ones I prefer.

One of the things that drew me to the 2.88 design is the fact that it provides a little more ground clearance for the prop in a similar way that FRCs X-32 Guppy did, even for this 3-blade.

This is an excellent feature that I look for and wish was possible to incorporate into every foamy. I have busted numerous props simply due to inadequate ground clearance.

The 2.88 does not suffer from this problem as much as most other planes do.

For my great homies out there trying to build
    "The Ultimate Park-Jet" :), without this basic ground clearance feature, I feel we have somewhat missed the mark. :).
    If you can, put that feature in the design of your planes! :)

I don't mind speed at all in a plane but I also look for good slow speed characteristics as well.

I have a tendency to favor great slow speed control and stability over maximum speed in most any plane I fly.

This balance in flight envelope must be hard for designers to achieve. From the flight demos of this plane that I have seen, with its lifting body, canards and delta wing, it appears to me that the Mig 2.88 has achieved both in reasonable amounts.

I will test this in my flight experiences soon and report back but FRC and RCP have already proven what I needed to see and what I look for in a plane already, a plane that:

#1 Can fly "well", in a reasonably smaller area than most other foamie park jets ( small parks)

#2 Is very stable in most flight modes including high alpha

#3 Outstanding prop ground clearance on landings, this saves the prop, less hard on structure, motor mount etc

#4 flys well on uncomplicated and fewer flight control surfaces (Elevons & Rudders only with NO Ailerons or flaps needed)

5th and probably the most important feature is its size that fits perfectly in the trunk of my Hi-Pro Hemi Challenger Hot Rod! :)

Oh! and 6th,..

both have lots of Red coloring!

Always great to hear from you Scott!

Thanks for letting me steal your paint job.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2016
  20. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

Sounds good! A Challenger is a flexible Muscle car, there is no need for big brother, Charger then. ;-)

Wildthing and Flybyknight22 like this.