FRCFoamies Mig 2.88 AFC- Plan Available!

Discussion in 'FRCFoamies Plans' started by F1wanabe, Mar 7, 2015.

1. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

The 2.88. A marvel of precision, so maneuverable. Yes, Greg! you have to get it in the air soon, the summer steaming ahead! The clock is ticking...

2. It looked like some of those rolls were with rudders - they are so great, I love them...
    But this flight looked so good!!

Airflow, Wildthing and F1wanabe like this.
  3. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

Yes that's correct malukk. The rudders are helping a lot in slow speed, they kicking the plane around very rapidly in roll axis.

Wildthing, malukk and F1wanabe like this.
  4. Yes! They are great at slow speeds too...
    This plane is so good that I dont think I would change anything on this other than even lower wing loading...

Airflow, Wildthing and F1wanabe like this.
  5. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Malukk, if you'd like to make an easy mod for lowering wing loading, try extending the wing root forward.
    Screenshot_2016-06-26-09-50-48.jpg
    It will add wing area, reduce stall, increase lift, but it will also make the plane less responsive. Increased wing area does have that effect. The best thing to do is just upscale the whole plane as you've done with the twin, but for a mod, the wing root extension works. Also the blended fuselage like Lars does? We see how well that works for him and for the F22!!! Finally, we did make the nose very strong knowing that people will want to push it and take chances with it. If you are confident (which you seem to be) you can pull the sides of the nose in which will decrease strength, but it also allows for a bit more airflow to the wing. My prototype actually has a slightly more narrow and delicate nose and you can feel the difference!
    1426381797950.jpg
    That's me and Jettamandan, BTW.
    As with every plane we build, we try to make them as well rounded as possible so there are some compromises!

Last edited: Jun 26, 2016
    Airflow, Wildthing and malukk like this.
  6. Yes!! I am a big fan of the blended fuselage...
    May be thats the route I'll go on my next twin because I would like to keep the responsiveness as it is :p

Airflow and F1wanabe like this.
  7. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

BTW, I just added another mod up there for you to consider in the last post but you were lightening fast in your response!!!

Wildthing and malukk like this.
  8. What's the blended fuselage, any pictures?

Airflow and malukk like this.
  9. Its the top skin on the fuselage that gives the plane scale looks - blends with the wing body...
    Just like what you see on the FRC F22... It is great since it produces a lot of lift - a lot!!

Airflow and Wildthing like this.
  10. Cool, seen that but didn't know the terminology. Interesting that it gives it lift. :)

11. Yes, another great point on the fuselage...
    I think I can modify it to fit the 100% scale nose width only while keeping the same length as 110%(or at least use that as a reference)...

If I try and extend the wing area forward a little like you suggested (will have to make it like a removable KF piece with a small extended piece on bottom - have done that on another plane) and try that too...
    If it makes it less responsive, I might as well add a bottom piece towards the end of fuselage so that it acts like a airflow channel/tunnel and will make the center region of elevon region more responsive - will make it for a cleaner airflow and reduced drag? - similar to that on alphajet and/or the F22..

I think I just lied in my previous post that I wont make any changes, lol :p

And yes! I do remember that picture of you and Dan, esp. The picture where you all pose with your transmitters at the field... :p

F1wanabe and Wildthing like this.
  12. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Yes, I remember that one too. I posted that picture for the 2.88 prototype, a picture of Dan was purely a bonus for you

www.frcfoamies.com
    www.youtube.com/user/gstrysky

malukk likes this.
  13. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

Yes guys, to lower the plane's wing loading is always an advantage, especially if you intend to use heavier batteries and motors. As Greg says, to extend the wing root extension is also a good way, besides KF2, slats and flaps. I have done it on my new 288.
    Here is a picture of how it looks, compared to my old 288. Moreover, it protects the tip of the canards from snapping.. if it gets stuck in tall grass, ask me why I made this change... They act like hooks otherwise.
    [​IMG]

And Yes! A blended fuselage is always good for extra lift and stability, and I have used it with great success on all of my Su's and MiG's and on the outstanding FRC F-22.

Here's some pics for you Jeff, of my new MiG, with blendet fuselage. BWB Blended Wing Body design.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

And the SU Fullback BWB
    [​IMG]

And the BWB of the J35F
    In true Delta BWB planes, wing is not a separate part. The wing is part of the fuselage, and can not be removed, this makes a true BWB plane, very strong.
    [​IMG]

Kiko12, Wildthing and malukk like this.
  14. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Wildthing, malukk and Airflow like this.
  15. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

Absolutely Greg, the only drawback is that the structure becomes more complicated and take longer to build.

Wildthing and malukk like this.
  16. Wow! Your planes are just a work of art Lars!!
    Good looks with performance!

It would appear that you use a lot of 3mm foam even for BWB skin?

Wildthing and Airflow like this.
  17. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

Malukk Yes, I am a big consumer of 3mm skin panels;)

malukk and Wildthing like this.
  18. TomMonton

TomMonton Administrator

Nice....very nice. I love the planking.

19. Holy catfish Batman. :) what workmanship. :)

HSV_Freak, Airflow and malukk like this.
  20. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

All too windy today, but ready for next weekend:D

1080pHD

Flybyknight22, Wildthing and malukk like this.