FRCFoamies Mig 2.88 AFC- Plan Available!

Discussion in 'FRCFoamies Plans' started by F1wanabe, Mar 7, 2015.

1. homey666

homey666 Top Gun

Oh man, that's fantastic. Thanks for posting this! Loooooove the sound.

Peter

2. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Wow, Lars, that is what I call low wingloading! Rudders are very responsive, do you need diff thrust?Great performance and so smooth! I couldn't listen with sound, but I will later.

3. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

Thanks guys! Yes, it makes a big difference with Such a low wing loading. Unfortunately, quite short rides with just one battery... Flat spin and hammer heads becomes a breeze with Diff-thrust, but also more nervous in the yaw axis.

4. Such a nice flight Lars, Loved it...
    That plane does feel very light... You had that in inverted high-alpha!!!! Wow!!! The twin is still my favorite jet...

I crashed mine recently while doing a loop close-to-ground... At the end of the loop, I wasn't able to pull it back up (had enough power) and I think it was because my canards were activated and may have caused the airflow to NOT go over the wings enough? I don't have a better explanation... I have noticed that when I try to do loops, they are much tighter and better with canards inactive... What are your thoughts? Do you see the same?

Here are some pics:

FullSizeRender 2.jpg
    FullSizeRender 3.jpg
    IMG_2264.JPG

I normally don't build the planes again unless I really really like them but this twin is one of my all time favorites so I am going to build another one! I am thinking of using the small EMax 1806 2280 kv motors that only weighs 18grams... with 2 of them, I'll have about 800+ grams of thrust... Will be very light weight... but then, I may go back on using mjv3 motors like I had before... We'll see... :rolleyes:

bimoadiprakoso, Airflow and F1wanabe like this.
  5. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

Tanks malukk, agree! it's a great airplane with a twin setup, very easy to fly. Sorry for the crash, but it's possible to repair it, then you have two planes if an accident should occur with any of them. A half-scale would be nice, should work well indoors! Yes, I have noticed that it helps having the canards activated in tight loops, it is fact!
    It would be nice to see you in the air with a new one.:)
    Successful to!

bimoadiprakoso and malukk like this.
  6. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

Ready for flight number two now with a 2000mAh 4s:). Weight increased from 27 to 30oz.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

bimoadiprakoso, F1wanabe and malukk like this.
  7. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

Not much to talk about, the video speaks for itself.:D

New 4s Maiden Video will come later if the weather gods want.

[​IMG]

MiG 2.88 VS Sony XPERIA Z5 Premium
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

For best effect, should be viewed in full-screen HD
    Only two mouse clicks away on Viemo

8. Great flying as always but that landing, what ???? :D Break anything?

Airflow likes this.
  9. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

Hi!
    ...Just love this plane, nope:) Mobile escaped without a scratch, no propeller blades broken either...:D But a bad 4s Maiden demonstration:(... Must try again!:rolleyes:

Flybyknight22 and Wildthing like this.
  10. Wow Lars,
    What a great video again! For an instance I thought that plane knocked you out OR... you were doing a side flip just to make it more challenging, lol... :D
    Great video, love the plane, love your flying skills!

Airflow and Wildthing like this.
  11. TomMonton

TomMonton Administrator

I think he likes to show off sometimes

Some seriously tight skills Lars .... and you're already warmed up so early in the season yet. You struggled more last year coming out of the gate.

Well done

Flybyknight22, Airflow and Wildthing like this.
  12. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Excellent, Lars! I see a twin in my future! Mine has been partially completed for a year now. I love the lower weight flights you have been doing- very responsive and in control.

13. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

Certainly Tom, there has to be a certain amount of drama in each flight.:confused:;)

Yes, oddly enough, the start went better this year without too much trouble...
    But I still feel rusty, can only fly three days a week nowadays.
    Provided that the weather is good enough to fly without rain or wind.:rolleyes:

TomMonton and Wildthing like this.
  14. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

Hehe Yes, but most of the flight took place outside the fixed groundcam lens...

Yeah.. I was lucky, just the right wingtip that hit the top of the camera mount.:)

Yes I love It too, the 2.88 is amazing, there are not many futuristic foamjets on the market that can beat this stunning design, when it comes to stability and maneuverability in one package. Unbelievable!!

Wildthing and malukk like this.
  15. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

Yes, Greg, the 2.88 has a very dignified and undramatic behavior in the air, silky controllability even in tight turns at high alpha!:cool:
    I can hardly wait for a even better FRC jet than the excellent 288.;)

Wildthing, F1wanabe and malukk like this.
  16. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

The plane is now repaired after it got stuck in the grass. Glue and dry wall tape did the job.

1080pHD

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Done:)

17. ONE and I mean 1 tough grass. :D

Airflow likes this.
  18. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

Yep, the grass from hell!

Flybyknight22 and Wildthing like this.
  19. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

Took it out for two rounds of this wonderful evening, one 3s and one 4s round. I've optimized it a bit, the active slats just caused me trouble, so I took the servos out and fixed the slats at 10 degrees, approximately... It is much more accurate in the air now. Besides that, the COG is now moved half an inch further back. And it did not hurt.;) Inverted flatspins, hammer heads and so on are now a piece of cake.:cool: Just love this masterpiece! Here is a lovely shot of the 4s round. It's really fast at full throttle, during vertical climbs!:rolleyes:

Video of
    ...the second of two flights this evening, from 3 to 4s. With fixed slats COG 1 "further back.
    1080pHD Best viewed in full-screen HD just a few mouse clicks away on Vimeo

Slats servos gone. But rudder horns are still there, just in case.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 26, 2016
  20. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Excellent, Lars! Really did look dialed in. I've got a twin in the works for a while now and every time I watch your videos it reminds me!

Wildthing, malukk and Airflow like this.