FRCFoamies Mig 2.88 AFC- Plan Available!

Discussion in 'FRCFoamies Plans' started by F1wanabe, Mar 7, 2015.

1. pileit1

pileit1 Ace Pilot

Glad to see you back at it airflow.

Airflow likes this.
  2. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Excellent, Lars! It's been too long since we've seen your projects. Looking forward to this one- Love the stabilizer brace!

Airflow, malukk and TomMonton like this.
  3. TomMonton

TomMonton Administrator

Well put actually and yes.... it 'is' good to see Lars messing up some foam again.

You just can't help but marvel at some of the Frankenbirds in creation.

4. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

Thank you WT, the same that I use on my first one, my new favorite prop, MasterAirscrew 3 blade 6x4 will even try the good old APC 6x4's

Flybyknight22, F1wanabe and Wildthing like this.
  5. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

Thanks Greg,
    but don't look at the foam piece on top of the stabilizers. That piece is only temporary to keep everything stable during construction. But the coffee stirrers works fine, this is something that I copied from the old one.
    [​IMG]

Wildthing, DavePowers, EricR and 2 others like this.
  6. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

Haha! Frankenbirds lol
    But actually, there's truth in that word.;)

F1wanabe, TomMonton and malukk like this.
  7. DavePowers

DavePowers Administrator

Airflow, that looks really good man. The extra reinforcements will do it nice for all the tests.
    You got a delta/canard platform with the verticals trailing behind in clean air.
    You should be able to really move this one around up there.

Wildthing, Airflow and F1wanabe like this.
  8. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

Yes, you are so right Dave. A clean air design that creates unique flight characteristics.

For those who intend to build this plane - Absolutely no need for any additional reinforcement of this aircraft, as long as you choose a single motor setup. It became clear after Dave's tough tests of this aircraft last year. It took a lot of punishment, but survived longer than expected. ;-)

9. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

An update, the second one.

Added brown paper cover on the LE slats.
    Wiring job almost done, two new 40A ESC's has been soldered and installed.
    Some glue work remains on the fuselage, a few pieces at the top of the LERX and nose.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. TomMonton

TomMonton Administrator

You have a couple interesting twists going on with this one Lars.

....can't wait to see it running.

11. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

Yes Tom,
    I am particularly interested in how the active LE slats are of any use in reality?, maybe "Over Kill" on a parkjet like this excellent FRC aviator, I mean, my first one is flying totally excellent in highalpha without any LE slats, spoilers or flaps at all.

malukk and Wildthing like this.
  12. DavePowers

DavePowers Administrator

I remember doing a test where I had one leading edge slat down and the other flat...
    There was a noticeable improvement on the slat going down. Especially around 40 degrees angle of attack.
    Kind of one of those things where it helps "10 %" and the game is getting as many of those as you can to make the big difference.

13. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

Actually Dave, you are right about that 10% improvement factor. And I think it will end up having them fixed at an angle after some test flights.. where they work best in general to get rid of the weight of the 2 slat servos.

Wildthing likes this.
  14. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

Have got a little more job done now since last time.
    Weight so far, with two motors, wires, two 40A esc's six servos,
    brown paper and carbon fiber rods.
    18.6 oz, not bad.:) for a OneTen Scale.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

DavePowers, F1wanabe, pileit1 and 3 others like this.
  15. DavePowers

DavePowers Administrator

Those side runners are going to be great! Nice you are building it out of the good foam. My old one died because I flew it so much and it was made out of the weaker grey depron. Solid base here that can take some hits.

F1wanabe, Airflow and Wildthing like this.
  16. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

Yeah! you never crashed, it just died of exhaustion. Yes, white depron is a bit stiffer than the Gray sheets. But on the other hand, white Depron is quite brittle...

Wildthing likes this.
  17. DocCool

DocCool Cadet

Finished mine some time ago and had a dozen of flights up to now.
    After breaking it in and trimming flies very smooth and I had some nice flights in HA-mode.
    with active canards it is very controllable in HA compared to my SU 34 or F18V4.
    In normal mode no speeder, but very manouevrable for tricky flying.
    In reversed flight I have to push the stick quite a lot, does this mean I must move CG to the front?
    In normal flight throws are in line with normal CG.
    P1050893_kl.JPG P1050897_kl.JPG
    I "internalized" all the control system for canards
    P1050896_kl.jpg
    Very long weekend from now on, best weather no wind, promises to become a long flying time.

FED50H, TomMonton, Airflow and 3 others like this.
  18. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Wow, looks beautiful! Glad you like the performance. I really think this platform is ideal for all around perform plus durability. You're right, the long delta will never be a speed plane due to the drag from the wing, but from slow to medium fast speeds it's awesome!
    We designed the 2.88 to have a lot of lift for aerobatics and high alpha performance. When you are inverted, you are actually fighting the lift of the wing(now upside down) so you will need to give some corrective input. You can experiment with cg to try to help, but anything you do to make the inverted plane fly better may effect the plane when it's verted Have a good weekend! Can you please post video?

www.frcfoamies.com
    www.youtube.com/user/gstrysky

Wildthing, malukk and Airflow like this.
  19. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

Yes, better to optimize the plane for good flights in normal mode, rather than inverted. This is a fantastic all-round plane, stable like a good parkjet trainer, as well as superior for advanced maneuvers. A hallmark of all delta platforms in combination with active canards.

Flybyknight22, Wildthing and malukk like this.
  20. DocCool

DocCool Cadet

Yes that's right, and the LE Slats will be part of the "problem" with inverted Flight.
    And sure, this is not really necessary for this plane, I have others for it.
    But the SU 34 with KF witout slats is much better inverted.
    On the other hand the controllability of the Mig in HA is much better than the SU.
    When I had a flight training nearly exclusively HA another club member later said I had to trim the plane completely different because it flies so strange :)<))
    Sorry F1W, no movie, but be sure it would not be more exciting than the dozens others you find here.

F1wanabe and Wildthing like this.