Frcfoamies Kits

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by F1wanabe, Jul 5, 2013.

1. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Alpha Jet Kits? Did someone ask about Alpha Jet Kits?
    For the past few weeks, and especially at the Warwick fly in, many people were looking for laser cut kits. What would you guys think about frcfoamies kits?

youtube/gstrysky
    frcfoamies

youtube/gstrysky
    frcfoamies

Wsamoset and Boxermad84 like this.
  2. trumpy959

trumpy959 Ace Pilot

I think that's a great idea and you would probably find lot's of people willing to pay for the precision of a laser cut kit, as long as it was reasonable. I was trying to decide between the FRC Su-37, or the Su-35 mod, and ended up cutting out an RCPowers Mig 29 V2 a few days ago as my first park jet ( I had both plans blown up @ Staples because I couldn't decide :rolleyes:)

As far as the cutting goes its like Squishy said in one of his video's, you gotta just get down to business and do it. I'll bet there would be plenty of people (myself included) that would rather just get a nice laser cut kit in the mail, and wouldn't mind spending the extra $

3. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

If you consider the cost of full page plans, depron costs, hardware and the time, the kit costs are not that great. For me, cutting used to be part of the catharsis:unwinding and emersing myself in the process. Now, I would rather spend more of my limited time on precision building and finishing, which I've found really pays off in stability and performance. We would offer basic kits with hardware, full kits with servos and power system, and then the led kits also.

youtube/gstrysky
    frcfoamies

4. e3_Scott

e3_Scott Top Gun

Greg/Jay -

Are you talking about kits just for your Alpha Jet or your whole line of planes?

Cheers,

Scott

5. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Definitely the alpha jet, then probably starting with the mk2 planes and going from there, Scott.

youtube/gstrysky
    frcfoamies

6. e3_Scott

e3_Scott Top Gun

OK, sounds cool! I'm sure there is a market for them for sure.

At risk of "preaching to the choir", I think your biggest challenge up front selling kits is not going to be the parts and the accessories, but rather the instructions/build guides. As all of us watching the RCP V3 thread intently have been told by Dave Powers a few times, the documentation and instructions are probably the biggest hurdles to clear.

I know that FRC Foamies has prided itself on designing planes and plans for the more "intermediate builder/flyer" (sorry to quote your own words back to you), I am thinking you may get a lot more "beginner" folks buying your kits as an easier way to get into the hobby. Most of us who have built and flown your planes and enjoyed them immensely already had/have some experience scratchbuilding and have been able to get through without detailed build instructions because of our experience and your and Jay's help.

As my experience from being an instructor has taught me, one of the biggest challenges is taking your immense "corporate knowledge" of the subject and the product and distilling it down to what could be the lowest common denominator to save yourself being endlessly bombarded with questions (there will still be some obviously, that is just normal, you can't expect every contingency).

More to manage, unless you expand your staff...:), less time to design and fly airplanes, but I guess if it means more FRC Foamies planes in the air, then that can't be a bad thing, right?! Anyway guys, I say go for it, these are just my humble opinions...:rolleyes:

Cheers,

Scott

Flybyknight22 likes this.
  7. Boxermad84

Boxermad84 Administrator

Why didnt i think of that! ;) hahahaha! i think even advanced builders would buy kits just to save time and effort of cutting out plans. I know i would rather a laser cut kit over hours of printing and cutting. Frcfoamies is aimed at everyone, as in everyone can build and fly our planes "but" you will need previous experience and a general knowledge of parkjets to fully enjoy our plans without running into problems. I think offering kits is a way for everyone to enjoy the whole process just that little bit more and take away the hassle of printing plans ,cutting out parts etc, so more time can be spent on setting up the plane.

8. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

I have picked up a couple sample kits. Ooohhhh! So nice to have perfect cuts! I agree Jay, I like building, set up, testing and flying. The one part of this I left out? Cutting! I hear the sound that the blade makes- "Shhht, Shhhht, Shhhhhhhhht"- in my sleep! So nice to pop the pieces out and build! And, no prints to print out (at $7.50/ sheet) and attach to foam. I'll spend the extra time on finishing and set up.
    20130705_163314.jpg

Boxermad84 and Wsamoset like this.
  9. wattail2

wattail2 Cadet

i just finally started cutting for the mk2 su 37. and as soon as i poped out a few parts, i was thinking i wish i has a laser cutter. for me and my work scedual, it just take to long, and it cuts in to my training and stuff on the side. thats why its been taking so long for me to get mine started even thoeing ive had the hard wear laying around for quite sometime. but i think a lazer kits would help for some of the people who just dont have the time to go a cut, or to order depron or anything like that in between or to go get big print out of the plans. i usualy work on average of 80 hours a week and i halft to excerzise and lift weights too. so u see my point of view on this.

F1wanabe likes this.
  10. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

I have heard a lot of that over the past few weeks. It was the first or second question I got at the last fly in. People want kits! The mk2 planes may be available soon also!

youtube/gstrysky
    frcfoamies

11. farside

farside Airman

When will the kits be a reality? Will they be available from some company in the USA?

Denny

12. Boxermad84

Boxermad84 Administrator

13. farside

farside Airman

14. Boxermad84

Boxermad84 Administrator

shipping will be from the usa, not sure what that will be yet.

15. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Hi Denny, with the alpha jet the wingspan is just wide enough not to fit into a standard box. So, finding the right box will determine when we can ship and how much. But the laser cuts are so perfect!

youtube/gstrysky
    frcfoamies

16. Yes I too would love and do love already avaliable kits since my build time is limited to one or 2 days a month. I think it would be a big hit y'all..

Sent from my SCH-I415 using Tapatalk 2

Boxermad84 and F1wanabe like this.
  17. okie86

okie86 Airman

I thank it would be a wonderful idea and I thank they would sell like hot cakes just look at how well the other people who sell laser cut dollar tree foam and BBQ sticks kits are doing
    As for the hardware all your would need is a laser cut ply motor mount and some control horns I know I would pay $30 + shipping for a frcfoamies mk2 laser cut kit

ASD likes this.
  18. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Jay and I are days away from unleashing the Alpha Jet kits, and look who are second customer is!
    [​IMG]
    Yes, that is David from Flite test! Newt and I met Dave and Josh at NEAT fair. Newt was out first Alpha Jet customer, David was our second, although I can't say money exchanged hands! Gotta say, they are nice guys and wouldnt stop talking! Dave even asked Newt to go out and fly with him. I'm a fan now....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

RCUrso, Wsamoset, Newt and 3 others like this.
  19. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

:) I've been waiting a long time for this! To see a review of any FRC product. Especially the Alpha Jet. AND SU-37 Mk1/mk2 :) Finally, it might be the truth with the Alpha Jet.
    It will be built many Alpha Jets around the world if they're doing a review of the Alpha Jet!!
    Congrats FRC guys!! :)

Boxermad84 and F1wanabe like this.
  20. whatmovesyou

whatmovesyou Top Gun

Ahh, to start a business, quality control, writing instructions(especially to prevent accidents), advertizing, incorporating, purchasing insurance to prevent loosing your house,car and valuables, covering local, state, federal taxes, etc.,etc.,. Wish you the best of luck!!

RCUrso and Shannon like this.