FRCFoamies Highlander STOL Plane

Discussion in 'FRCFoamies Plans' started by F1wanabe, May 23, 2016.

1. TomMonton

TomMonton Administrator

Cool... what did you have in mind to use ?

I started with a 1000kv 9"prop but it truly was a little too aggressive. My best balence has been focused around a 1400kv 8" propeller. Something in the 150 to 200 watts area.

I've been trying (as a general rule) to stay close to a 3s 1200 to 2200mah type battery. Still be able to re-use your existing parkjet battery to essentually "fly something different". I haven't even explored using a 2s system yet.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2016
    Wildthing, bimoadiprakoso and Airflow like this.
  2. I ordered 2 different motors but not at home and I don't remember exactly what they are.

bimoadiprakoso likes this.
  3. TomMonton

TomMonton Administrator

Ah....gotcha. I wanted to also mention that 9" propeller had a tendency to want to "mow the lawn". Clearances were a little on the close side with the landing gear I had used.

Wildthing likes this.
  4. rodrigo

rodrigo Top Gun

Tom, can you tell me the pitch on the 8" prop and 1400 kv motor ? My porter goes great with this combo at 8x4 triblade with enoght power to climb even with 300grs load, but I like a little more speed... please post brand too

BTW the extra thick flaps (over 1/4 of the chord) experiment was a sucess, the STOL capability are improved a lot and landings are really soft...

Last edited: Jul 15, 2016
    TomMonton and Wildthing like this.
  5. Hi Tom,

Both Emax motors, 1 is Outrunner XA2212 1400kv and just for the sake of it and then also able to go down to a 7" prop the other is their CF2812 1600kv motor which is built for 5 to 7" props.

TomMonton likes this.
  6. Boxermad84

Boxermad84 Administrator

Managed to get out and try the new mods to reduce some bad tendencies, it feels so good now!

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Lgel, TomMonton, Airflow and 4 others like this.
  7. TomMonton

TomMonton Administrator

The same Emax 2212/1400kv that Jeff just mentioned above with an 8x4 propeller. I've used 8x4x3 without issue but I simply ran out of 3 blade props

A 40a esc and 1800mah battery.

Wildthing likes this.
  8. TomMonton

TomMonton Administrator

Looking real good... eager to hear your take on the wing extention(s) next

malukk, Wildthing and F1wanabe like this.
  9. TomMonton

TomMonton Administrator

The other odd ball parts that I had used...but not require. It was an easy retro fit for what I was looking for anyway.

I used the landing gear kit for the Multiplex "Fun Cub" and the wheels are off a turbo " Cracked Beaver". Both of which can be bought online.

Flaps, ailerons, elevator you can get away with using 5g servos and hide them nicely. The rudder is also your tail wheel so go with a decent 9g servo. There is no need for a metal servo there, most any servo will do. There really isn't that much torque to work against back there.

I'm glad to see you're getting set up for it... it is a fun little guy to just kinda clunk around in. I haven't started landing on picnic tables yet but it's getting very close to that stable a performance.

......besides there were people sitting at the table and it would have been rude of me to interrupt their picnic

Last edited: Jul 15, 2016
    Airflow and Wildthing like this.
  10. TomMonton

TomMonton Administrator

It started with me whining a lot .. I wanted a STOL that i could build on. There was really little choice to shop for online and would much rather have a scratch build craft that I know I can fix or build again if need be.

Jay had started a Highlander project awhile ago that I thought it looked really cool but ... I didn't care for its flight characteristics and saw it as a golden opportunity to challenge it. Little did I know .. sheesh.

In dialog with these guys everyday for weeks, I know that Jay and Greg were getting a alittle annoyed with me a few times ... heh-heh .. deal with it. We had a good time anyway and oh boy did I learn a whole bunch in setting up a new airplane.

F1wanabe was instrumental in walking me through the challenges and stepped me through illuminating the various issues I had and finally to get us to ... here. Nicely done sir and here is my contribution.

[​IMG]

F1wanabe, Airflow, Boxermad84 and 4 others like this.
  11. Cool, looks really stable.

malukk likes this.
  12. TomMonton

TomMonton Administrator

... and there's seating for two.

[​IMG]

F1wanabe, Airflow, Grantman and 2 others like this.
  13. pileit1

pileit1 Ace Pilot

Looks awesome Tom. I built Flitetest's Bushwacker and it flies pretty good. Is there a plan to have a removable wing for this plane?

F1wanabe and Wildthing like this.
  14. TomMonton

TomMonton Administrator

No... its all in one piece but it will still fit in a car well enough.

F1wanabe, malukk and Wildthing like this.
  15. Boxermad84

Boxermad84 Administrator

Wow, had a blast with what could be the final version of the highlander! So much fun floating it in with flaps then dropping it down!

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Flybyknight22, sirskyhi, Lgel and 6 others like this.
  16. TomMonton

TomMonton Administrator

... excellence. Sign me up.

Wildthing, Boxermad84 and malukk like this.
  17. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Nice, Tom! This was a real challenge on the highlander and it really helped to have you willing and able to test stuff for us. We were pretty much ready for release but something was just too on edge with the highlander. I flew in the wind and it did great which I believe masked a bit of a tip stall tendency. Once we got out in the calm air it just wasn't something we wanted to release. So the last week was a crash course in modifications geared to stability and removing tip stall. Since Jay and I were bogged in with bad flying conditions, Tom did a lot of heavy lifting with the stabilizer and wing fence mods. Jay gave under camber wings a try and combining all the mods created a crazy stable, fun plane like we see in Jay's video. So, I'll build from the final plan and hopefully that will be that for the highlander! I will say that this plane is really a better flying version than a fun cub or Crack Beaver for a fraction of the cost!

www.frcfoamies.com
    www.youtube.com/user/gstrysky

Airflow, Lgel, lawrenceb and 5 others like this.
  18. Grantman

Grantman Top Gun

..... a little too quiet if you ask me.

Flybyknight22 and Wildthing like this.
  19. Siesta

Flybyknight22 likes this.
  20. Flybyknight22

Flybyknight22 Top Gun

Cat knapping

Wildthing likes this.