FRCFoamies Highlander STOL Plane

Discussion in 'FRCFoamies Plans' started by F1wanabe, May 23, 2016.

1. Well, I dont think he is reversing the prop or may be even stopping it - think that would stall the engine and may be even the plane... I think what we see there with the prop is an "illusion effect" due to the changes in direction of light as the plane approaches... You know sometimes we see the wheel covers of the car running next to us and it appears as though the wheel is moving in reverse direction when its actually not?
    Here's an example video of my reciprocating needle foam cutter... I am running it at constant speed all the time and it doesnt really slow down as its penetrating the foam (at least not to the naked eye!)...

Watch the wheel and may be even the needle... It would appear as though its reversing the direction or even the needle is slowing down in some cases but thats not true... and I am not cheating :p
    Our eyes -> brain communication is just not fast enough to keep up with the speed!

Airflow and Wildthing like this.
  2. TomMonton

TomMonton Administrator

Yes...it returned a big difference and slowed the plane right down nicely which was what I was looking for.

I used a layer of Lars •coating to tighten it up more because it introduced that much more load on the wing.

Into the wind I could drop it straight down. With the wind it would still touch down softly...not needing a bunch of throttle on touch and not wobble in the air.

Not so much flap but about 30% aileron down. 2016082115202700.jpg

Airflow, Wildthing and malukk like this.
  3. Interesting! how did it do on windy days with those LE slats? did it become more sensitive to wind compared to without slats?

Wildthing likes this.
  4. TomMonton

TomMonton Administrator

The fuse and the battery ride low and it will buffet pretty good. It would bang around yeah but it rides stable enough to hold on it at slow speed. Very little wing rock.

It is much more sluggish all around with the added drag.... but she holds it up so well on very little forward air.

The short answer...it fly's more like a farm tractor but is still very nimble in doing just that

5. Did you ever get yours back together after the picnic table landing? I thumped mine really good and is on the do I or don't I list. ;)

Airflow likes this.
  6. whatmovesyou

whatmovesyou Top Gun

Tom:
    Above, you stated "not so much flap, but ailerons are 30% down". Could you explain more in detail. Are you using ailerons as flaps or what?

7. TomMonton

TomMonton Administrator

Yes ...Flaperons. Mix in about 30% of static down tilt into the ailerons.

I still have my first build... it was my second one that I wrecked into a picnic table.

I am currently building a new number 3 but.... I'm going back to the same wing design that i used with my first one.

I will post up as I go forward

8. whatmovesyou

whatmovesyou Top Gun

Tom:
    Your pic shows Flaps as well. Have you tried either or both in conjunction or just not used? If so, what was the difference.?

9. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

Wow, That's just so cool! Why not develop the idea, to a 3D computer-controlled tattoo machine for the tattoo business.:)

malukk and Wildthing like this.
  10. whatmovesyou

whatmovesyou Top Gun

What is happening to that prop is the gyroscopic effect of a fixed frame to a variable. You can do the same with a dual prop(transport) to get the engines sync. Take your dual, turn on a florescent light, and run your engines up. You will actually see the blades stationary, moving cw or ccw. Adjust your rudder trim and you can sync both so they are the same.

Concept is that 60 cycle is exact of electricity and what you are seeing are multiple frequencies of 60 prop and since the motors will vary, it causes it be stationary, a small amount cw or ccw. Try flying a heli under the city lights with a governor. Almost crashed while watching the blades become fixed due to multiple freqs of 60 cps.

In naval service, in order to fly close formation, we used to get close to the other plane, sight ours and their prop, and add or subtract pitch until prop would stop. Then you were same speed and you can drop down and snuggle.

EricR and Wildthing like this.
  11. Hehe... Well, thats not completely my idea... One of our talented members in this community is David (@dkj4linux) and this is his original idea... I only had few ideas to help improve it and make it an effective and efficient cutting tool!!
    It works like charm for sure and I love it!

3D computer controlled tattoo machine would be a cool application though!

Airflow and Wildthing like this.
  12. whatmovesyou

whatmovesyou Top Gun

Tom or Greg:

So, you want to takeoff and land on a table. Here is an option.

Thinking outside the box,(this is what I am setting up to do) you need to explore "spoilers vrs flaps or variations of it, it can be done real simple.

Just like I used the heli mode in the radio to get a movable swing wing on the "TOMCAT", everybody forgets the "GLIDER" mode in your radio.!!!!!!!!!

Combine the motor with "CROW" or simply "spoiler vrs flaps" and you should get some "STOL" takeoffs and landings. With the radio programmed, all you have to do is plug in the deflection numbers. Works with 2-4 ailerons as well as
    1-2 flap servos.

Substitute the motor on approach rather then the wind and you should have some interesting results.

Impressive, isn't it, when it works right. I used the "CROW" method with the glider on a couple of experiments. He even gives some good tips on approaches.

I am starting off using slo-mo(shooting for a vertical descent with no wind) playing with "rudder,spoilers/flaps" to see what happens.

My first success of taking off and landing on a table at the club field was using a F-22 EDF with a movable canard having a variable thrust nozzle. It gave precise speed and positioning on approach which is the key.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2016
    EricR, Airflow and TomMonton like this.
  13. paulh998

paulh998 Ace Pilot

Hi Guys, I just finished building the fuselage of the Highlander. I think it was said before, but that was one of the best designs i have had the pleasure to put together, awsome fit, strong and rigid, nice work and thanks guys

EricR, Boxermad84, F1wanabe and 4 others like this.
  14. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Glad you like the Highlander! We did try to make it strong enough to play close to the ground and do STOL with some room for error. Hope you enjoy!

EricR and Wildthing like this.
  15. Boxermad84

Boxermad84 Administrator

FED50H, TomMonton, Airflow and 2 others like this.
  16. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

Preparing the Highlander.:)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

FED50H, Wildthing and malukk like this.
  17. CeeKay

CeeKay Ace Pilot

A bit late to the party I know, I decided to use up the last of the Depron I had to build a Highlander last night. Arguably the best constructed model you guys have done to date. So light but so strong. Looking forward to getting it flight ready. I'll post a few pictures once I've got it finished.

TomMonton, EricR, Wildthing and 2 others like this.