FRCFoamies Highlander STOL Plane

Discussion in 'FRCFoamies Plans' started by F1wanabe, May 23, 2016.

1. pileit1

pileit1 Ace Pilot

Wow, sweet ride Lars!
    Oh, the highlander's looking pretty nice too. :D

F1wanabe, Airflow and Wildthing like this.
  2. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

Yes Tom, I remember:) but you had the wing mounted Haha;)

Yep, I had a lot of nose-over. in the 90's:D when I flew ordinary plane like this one with landing gears... So now they are as far forward as possible.

Maiden tomorrow?
    According to the forecast, around 1-2 meter per second tomorrow at 11. I just have rudder and elevator so far, and the plane weighs only 11.3oz. lol! So we'll see... I would like to have a totally calm day at Maiden.

F1wanabe, Wildthing and TomMonton like this.
  3. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

Morning!
    Almost calm. FRC Highlander Maiden.
    Wow! The Tiger motor is awesome, very efficient, had 90% left in the small 800mAh battery after 3 minutes in the air! Wow x2! It's thrilling to fly it without ailerons,:cool: so I'm going to add more throws on the rudder BF next flight.
    The lack of LE slats and flaps makes it a fairly fast aircraft :)

1080pHD

TomMonton, pileit1, Wildthing and 2 others like this.
  4. Good flight Lars...

Thats what I have seen with my T-motor too! On my explorer, I get about 27min flight time with ~3.5V left per cell...

Wildthing, Airflow and F1wanabe like this.
  5. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Wow, what a landing, Lars, now that's STOL! The ailerons help keep the plane flat in the turns, but I think if you can get cg towards the leading edge of the wing you'll get better performance from rudder and elevator. Haha, "damn car!" I love it!

Sent from my Note 7 using Tapatalk

malukk and Wildthing like this.
  6. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

Sounds amazing Malukk, great for FPV.

7. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

Haha! Cars... :mad:!
    A good tip, Greg. Lead in the nose will do the job.
    Will test it during the third flight. The 2nd is already completed. Wow!:cool: fun, fun!:)

malukk, F1wanabe and Wildthing like this.
  8. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

The amazing FRC Highlander's second flight.
    Now with better Rud. feedback
    Taking off from the lawn. Loop and spin test approved!:cool:

I got hit by the wing, while trying to grab it.:D

1080pHD, should be viewed in full-screen HD
    Only a few mouse clicks away at Vimeo.

Some pictures from the second flight.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Wow, Lars, beautiful! You have the prize for shortest landing for sure!!! Great controls, loved the death spirals too.

10. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

Thanks Greg:)
    Yes isn't it amazing what this airplane can do with only rudder!! I'm pretty happy with this simple setting after the second flight.:) But I will test with flaps for the next flight, probably not until next weekend, too windy for 11.3oz now:confused: and the job is waiting tomorrow... 4 4 long days...:( I'm already done with the fixed flaps mod, at about 10-15 degrees.

LE slats? The plane is so light that I think LE slats are kinda over-kill...

10-15 dgr.
    [​IMG]

Wildthing, F1wanabe and malukk like this.
  11. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

I did the le slats on the prototype and you're right, over kill. But, effective! You would need to have no wind for sure using them. The flaps work very well and add a good amount of control for slow flying, but you've got excellent control as it is.

12. TomMonton

TomMonton Administrator

That was my take as well.

It will slow you right down to practically a hover but any crosswind suddenly becomes a real factor. Nothing that I couldn't hold exactly but it created more drag than i needed. "overkill"

Take what we already tried and make them say...much slighter in cut ? You're in a good place to do that being a removable wing. ((I gotta do that too)note to self)

13. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

Haha! Greg, You have persuaded me;) will make LE slats, but it requires time and pressision in this small scale, to get them thoroughly aerodynamically shaped as on the full scale STOL wings, just to achieve maximum performance.
    [​IMG]

malukk, F1wanabe and Wildthing like this.
  14. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

Hmm.. yep! slats can be a challenging winter project, among many others.;)

15. TomMonton

TomMonton Administrator

This was a thought I had too.
    Creates a pseudo leading edge and flaperons already built in. This too was why I liked the highlander frame, solid as plywood and still room to work with inside. She'll take a beating now ... trust me there.

... and it has wheels. :D

Like you I am racing time right now that summer is coming to a close. So I decided to go fly and a have fun while the sun shines. Wing.jpg

Last edited: Sep 4, 2016
  16. whatmovesyou

whatmovesyou Top Gun

Did you try yours with the flaps, spoilers, etc and what were your results?

17. My rudder servo gave up mid-flight so I had to bring it in for emergency landing as the plane started doing weird turns due to the servo gear being stripped...

The flaps are great for take offs - super short takeoff!

From my initial flight (<1min) so far, I thought that having all surfaces work as ailerons is "too much" - the outer "stock" ailerons are good enough... So I have turned off the aileron function for inside flaps!

I only tried "inside" flaps (close to fuselage) and it causes the plane to pitch up like what Tom and others have mentioned so gotta mix in some down elevator... My radio has a servo speed function so I am thinking to slow down the flap servo's movements a little bit so that its not pitching up to make a flip instantly... I am also going to play around by moving the CG (may be a little in front) to see what the results are when I put the flaps down...

I'll try rest of the mixes (the outside flaps and full flaps) hopefully sometime this week if weather permits...

Are you testing anything on this plane? - I would be interested to know...

Airflow, F1wanabe and Wildthing like this.
  18. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

The flaps pitch up, slats counteract that a bit and with the elevator input you are talking about doing, Kk, you should be able to drop the plane down like Lars did in his last video! You're right, outside ailerons are enough I'll be trying flaperons on my next one with the outside 3 or 4 inches of the trailing edge of the wing fixed-no ailerons out there .

Wildthing, Airflow and malukk like this.
  19. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

Sunday evening at seven, dead calm!! Hurray!
    Back in the overnight room day two... at the place of work, where I've just completed and uploaded the third an last flight from the maiden day, Sunday 5th. A thrilling flight with fixed flaps around 10-15 degrees, where I managed to make my first touch and go (with wheels) since the 90's :)
    I love this Courtyard Plane! :)

1080pHD FRC Highlander gets crazy! :)

20. TomMonton

TomMonton Administrator

Excellent Lars

I like what you've done there. She really is a hoot to fly around and through tight places that way.

Now get those ailerons working.

Airflow likes this.