FRCFoamies F22 Raptor- Scale Score and Fold

Discussion in 'FRCFoamies Plans' started by F1wanabe, Dec 20, 2015.

1. Newt

Newt Administrator

Tom,
    Looks like you found the cure..

2. TomMonton

TomMonton Administrator

Okay she's done finally. I can still see my scratches under the paint yet but considering what I put that little bit of foam through ... it held up pretty good.

I lined the underside with tape to protect the foam and we're ready to go. ... let's fly !
    uploadfromtaptalk1453345487555.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1453345511368.jpg

3. kjdubuque

kjdubuque Ace Pilot

As always, your plane looks great!

4. CeeKay

CeeKay Ace Pilot

Plans printed today (finally). This one has been accelerated to first in the build queue for 2016. Hoping to get most of the work done over the weekend.

Sent from my SM-G850F using Tapatalk

5. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Good luck, CeeKay! I'll be waiting to see what you do with it!

www.frcfoamies.com
    www.youtube.com/user/gstrysky

Slingshot and bimoadiprakoso like this.
  6. Newt

Newt Administrator

IMAG0182.jpg IMAG0185.jpg IMAG0184.jpg Since I'm using the super mega jet v2 I decided to keep my servos ahead of the cg.
    Gonna try putting the rudder servos up front under the canopy. Looks like a good spot.
    Hope it works.

7. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

That's nice planning, Mark. The SMJv2 is a little heavier so that will be good for weight distribution!

8. bimoadiprakoso

bimoadiprakoso Top Gun

Tom, you're simply the Rembrandt of parkjets painting. Love it! Nicely done.

Slingshot, F1wanabe, malukk and 2 others like this.
  9. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Guys, anyone out there using a Taranis radio on the F22? We've had a question emailed to us asking about the proper set up on the Taranis but I'm using Spektrum. Thanks for your help!

www.frcfoamies.com

bimoadiprakoso likes this.
  10. bimoadiprakoso

bimoadiprakoso Top Gun

Taranis is quite similar to my 9xr pro, Greg. I configured some of my friends' Taranis. May be I could share something.

Sent from my LG-F320K using Tapatalk

F1wanabe likes this.
  11. sirskyhi

sirskyhi Ace Pilot

Here's my completed F-22. Again she's a bit heavy but hopefully the 2700kv motor will push her around. She weighs in at 970g with a 2200mAh 3s battery. Plus I had to add weigh to the rear to get her balanced. Hopefully the maiden flight will happen soon with video.
    F22.jpg

Last edited: Jan 26, 2016
    Airflow, pileit1, homey666 and 3 others like this.
  12. TomMonton

TomMonton Administrator

I tried yesterday to run a turnigy 2200kv motor on this very same plane. It will push it but it is definitely at its limit.

I did the same thing. I replaced it with an ntm 2700kv motor over night and was going to try that on my next opertunity to fly.

13. sirskyhi

sirskyhi Ace Pilot

I've just flown the big T-50 with a NTM 2700kv motor on it and the plane took off out of my hand, it has lots of powers. I like the NTM motors, but they are a bit more expensive than the generic cheapo 2700kv motors like the one I have on the plane, they work on most of my planes, but the NTMs are far better. We'll just have to wait and see how it goes.

F1wanabe likes this.
  14. sirskyhi

sirskyhi Ace Pilot

I had to reinforce the fuselage under the cockpit window with popsicle sticks. I used 3mm depron and it just was not firm enough for me. I know it adds weight but it seemed like a point of failure if I didn't add the sticks.

F1wanabe and bimoadiprakoso like this.
  15. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Sirskyhi, we like to see how everyone mods the planes to their own liking! In all the abuse I've put the prototype through- regular landings, parachute landings, flops, nose launches and even a couple hand catches- I have not had an issue with the cockpit area. I'm using MPF too. But, as long as the plane will fly at that weight then no harm in reinforcing! You said you needed weight on the rear? Can I make a suggestion? Your FP2700 (or equivalent) is a pretty light motor whereas I am using the heavier Heads Up 450 Zoom. The 1800 still offers enough weight for proper balance with my 450 Zoom, so I would definitely recommend putting an 1800 in there if you have one and remove the ballast on the back. This would also drop your weight by a couple oz. Most of my flying is with an 1800 and performance is really nice! One thing you'll find is that the CG is very flexible on this. Lots of weight spread out across the length of the plane (front battery, rear motor and everything in between) tends to do that. As a matter of fact, I didn't need to move the battery throughout testing even though I probably added an oz or 2 to the back over the course of the modifications. Funny how we've been talking about placing mass around CG for so long, and then a plane like this comes around that just doesn't care how the mass is laid out! Looking forward to seeing your flight!!!

malukk likes this.
  16. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Sirskyhi, did I read that right? 970 grams? That is 34 oz- a full 10 oz heavier than mine. Are you sure that's correct?

17. sirskyhi

sirskyhi Ace Pilot

Thanks for the suggestions. I will see if I can apply them and I'll let you know how it turns out.

F1wanabe likes this.
  18. sirskyhi

sirskyhi Ace Pilot

I'll check the weight again before I apply any changes. A lot of the extra weight was to get the balance right. I do have an 1800nAh battery but it's about the same weight as the 2200. I'll just do a little more playing around with the balance.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2016
  19. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Ok, i hope it's not 970g. The heaviest f22 I've seen is FED50H's which is 28 oz (800g) and he used a thicker foam board. 8 extra oz would be equivalent of another 2200 3s battery hanging off the back, so I think the number must be incorrect. If it is 36 oz then the wing loading is going way high and regardless of the thrust it'll be hard to fly. We've got the dimensions right for anything up to 26 oz or so. I think Chip is at the limit at 28 oz. Anyway, let us know and we'll go from there!

www.frcfoamies.com

20. EricR

EricR Ace Pilot

Any idea what the foam airframe weighs by itself without any electronics?