FRCFoamies F22 Raptor- Scale Score and Fold

Discussion in 'FRCFoamies Plans' started by F1wanabe, Dec 20, 2015.

1. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

Haha! For a short while, I thought it was Zorro!:D
    [​IMG]

2. Boxermad84

Boxermad84 Administrator

Thanks malukk! I did the same thing flying to low, reinforced the elevons before this flight, much stiffer now, [​IMG]

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

3. Yes, i'll do the same thing or will use the brown paper technique...

Wildthing, Airflow and F1wanabe like this.
  4. Boxermad84

Boxermad84 Administrator

Good idea!

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

5. kjdubuque

kjdubuque Ace Pilot

Finally! I got it finished and in the air today. It only took me 8 months for this build... The weather cooperated, calm, some sun, no rain and no parks department workers mowing! Even though I really tried to build light, I was concerned with needing to go with the NTM 2700 but my old beat up Turnigy 2200 has plenty of punch. I didn't do the best job of getting my control surfaces all level (was really excited to fly) so it needed some decent trim on the radio. But WOW, does it fly nice. You guys knocked it out of the park!

I quickly said forget it to just doing a short test flight and let it rip. I still have some fine tuning to do with dual rate settings and getting flaps set but this one will be going with me to the field every time.

Naked foam and painters tape glory!
    IMAG0182.jpg

malukk, Boxermad84, Airflow and 2 others like this.
  6. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Excellent, glad to hear it flew well! How heavy are you? The blended surfaces really add lift and make it slip through the air so a smaller power system works. We love the f22 and think it's something very special but we will not say most precise or ultimate. But I will say it is the best all around parkjet I've flown. Will you be flying again soon?

Sent from my Note 7 using Tapatalk

ASD, malukk, Airflow and 1 other person like this.
  7. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

Very nice! kjdubuque:)

malukk and Wildthing like this.
  8. kjdubuque

kjdubuque Ace Pilot

It is something special. If the weather cooperates, I'll be flying tomorrow. I have the luxury of a good sized field across the street from work. I can't wait to get it back into the air. As far as weight, I have no idea. I have a digital scale somewhere that I'll have to dig up and see where I'm at.

malukk, Wildthing and F1wanabe like this.
  9. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Haha, no problem, I just like to keep a mental tally of the upper weight range of this plane because I'm around 22 oz and someone was up in the 34 oz range and it flew well too. Good luck flying tomorrow, the plane looks great!

Wildthing likes this.
  10. kjdubuque

kjdubuque Ace Pilot

Not much flying today, way too much wind. I did get in on the scale though, with a 2200 battery it's just under 26 oz. I did cover the bottom with strapping tape so that's some added weight but it doesn't feel sluggish. Actually, it was floating nicely heading into the wind with flaps down. :) Landing was really fun today, just coming in super slow and lightly sliding in the grass.

11. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

26 is still good! FYI, the cg is forgiving so you can use an 1800 or 1600 3s and you'll still be able to fly well. Very aerobatic at 24 oz and cg a bit back.

Airflow and Wildthing like this.
  12. Alrighty! So, I finally got the video from last week...
    I am going to call this plane "The Most Precise Jet"... I am loving it very very much the more I fly it... I will even say that this plane is now in my "Top 5 Jet Planes To Have" list!

Here's a video of me flying it low to the ground and crashed it in the end... as I came lower to the ground I realized that I am still above the tall grass and was afraid that its going to catch the elevator and rest you'll see in the video. The damage was not bad at all but with this plane you can push the limits!

For anybody who has flown this plane enough and would like to try to take this a level up, I have some recommendations that I found work best for me... After much testings with different mixes, throws, rates, etc... this is what I have found works very well for even greater performance:

1) Setup elevons - this function is active all the time

2) Mix 35-50% Aileron throws with elevons (I find 50% mix the best for my liking)

3) DEFINITElY ACTIVATE FLAPS - when active, turn off the aileron function/mix!

Here's a video demonstration:

If you are out on the field on very windy days, just activate the flaps and fly, you'll see that this plane is on rails even in the strong gusts - just try it!

Highly recommended build if you haven't done so... You'll love it!!

13. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Wow, love the title, Kk! Great set up too. You're right, love the flaps and the plane just hunkers down and stabilizes when they are on. Great video!

Wildthing and malukk like this.
  14. notamedclosed

notamedclosed Ace Pilot

Great flying, and such a nice looking plane. Did you do the top skin in 6mm?

Wildthing and malukk like this.
  15. Thanks! :) For top skin, I simply used dollar tree foam with paper peeled off! Works very well...

F1wanabe and Wildthing like this.
  16. notamedclosed

notamedclosed Ace Pilot

Awesome, that's what I'm planning as well based on other posts in this thread. Looked thicker in your video so I was curious.

F1wanabe, Wildthing and malukk like this.
  17. You'll absolutely love this plane!
    Looking forward to see some pictures :)

F1wanabe, Wildthing and notamedclosed like this.
  18. Oh btw, this plane will also be perfect for your "led" lights!
    Everything will hide in very nicely and will glow very well if you decide to do so

F1wanabe, Wildthing and notamedclosed like this.
  19. notamedclosed

notamedclosed Ace Pilot

It's like you read my mind. Just got a fresh shipment of Arduino Nano's in. This time it's not going to connect to a FC but just be tied to the throttle with a Y cable and maybe some additional patterns via a spare channel.

F1wanabe and Wildthing like this.
  20. Lol,
    I figured as much...
    You ARE good with this kinda stuff!

Here's what I did with mine on this with throttle control:

I could send you the code if you would like and you can make it even better..!!