FRCFoamies F22 Raptor- Scale Score and Fold

Discussion in 'FRCFoamies Plans' started by F1wanabe, Dec 20, 2015.

1. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

2. DavePowers

DavePowers Administrator

It moves around really good. It's got alot of maneuverability even with the VT off. Very nice.

3. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

Yes Greg, the flight time is very good, flight time uncut video, add 2 minutes.:)

4. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

Thnx Dave,
    ...And with a more aggressive COG pos., probably even better maneuverability.
    But too late to find out now... hehe, the TV motor mount is on:D!!

kenswa, Wildthing and F1wanabe like this.
  5. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

Replacement of the old M mount to the TV unit.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

3rd flight Maiden the TV-unit.

My lucky day ...Without knowing it, the plane got a fatal error during the last half of the flight.

The plane is now really manoeuvrable! Very fun to fly it, more challenging than with a Twin TV plane.

New weight 26oz, with a 8oz 4s battery.
    same propeller MAS 6x4 3 blade.

1080pHD FRC F-22 TV testflight

Luckily, the remaining Pitch axis pushrod survived the flight.. It was exposed to a lot of stress...
    [​IMG]

7. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Wildthing and Airflow like this.
  8. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

Yes, Greg:) always good with a double set of pitch and yaw Pushrods, it saved me from having to build a new Raptor...:eek:

Wildthing likes this.
  9. Lars, Here is how I had setup a simple mechanism for thrust vectoring on my F-14 tomcat:

1.jpg

2.jpg

I simply used 2X 4-40 monster ball-links that are used in cars or big planes...
    May be you can exploit this to make thrust vectoring for pitch and yaw?

Wildthing, F1wanabe and Airflow like this.
  10. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

Tnx Malukk, such a good reminder! I have those things lying around since my balsa era in the 90's. It's perfect for an NTM 2200 with a 5s battery!;)

Wildthing and malukk like this.
  11. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

malukk, Airflow and Wildthing like this.
  12. Nice, simple and looks strong plus clean.

malukk and Airflow like this.
  13. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

Yes, although it is heavier now with the 8oz battery. But still plenty of lift, thanks to its Blended Wing Body design, just like the original. I think I can load it with more stuff, right up to 35oz, with no major problems! Yup.. neighbors notice a lot more than you might think. Haha;)
    This one is far from my old screaming 2.88 With two mid-mounted NTM 2200kv's powered by 2 x 5s batteries :)! or the FRC 37 XL Quattro drive...:D

Wildthing and F1wanabe like this.
  14. Ok, so I have been bitten by the LED bug (again) and have been playing around with it...
    Controlling them with Arduino programming (with help of my wife and internet), did the LED afterburner lights that I then plan to install it on my FRC F-22...

It takes the input readings from the receiver (reads the Tx signal values - connected with a Y-connector) and based on the throttle settings, it changes colors...

I had previously done it with amber color lights connected with the brushed motor ESC but it was just one color (amber/yellow), and dimming the lights (controlled with throttle) wouldn't really show up that well at dusk/dawn:

This time I have changing colors!!! I went with the thermal radiation (light) spectrum (similar to the "K-ratings" that you would normally find on bulbs - warm or cool):

startemp.gif

Now the colors ("spectrum") that I have aren't really "perfect" but they are close enough - still need to do some tweaking with the code to get it right... Couldn't resist to post this :p

I am really happy with the start - it looks like the flames have just started to come...

...Love the red :D

...The blast of white light at above 80% really stands out! :cool:

FRCFoamies F-22 provides a really good frame-work to put the LED afterburners on...
    The video doesn't do full justice of how it actually looks - here it is anyways:

Hope you like it :)

Last edited: May 19, 2016
    Lgel, jimbosflyin, Airflow and 4 others like this.
  15. That plane is going to be so bright you won't know if you are coming or going, or you might be shot down as a ufo.

Totally cool. ☺

16. hehe... Yeah, the leds are so bright that I was blinded for like 5 min after recording that video...

Wildthing, Airflow and F1wanabe like this.
  17. TomMonton

TomMonton Administrator

Impressive ... I love what you've done with the place

Wildthing, Airflow, malukk and 2 others like this.
  18. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

Hello F-22 builders!!:) Oops... I forgot to post the video in this thread yesterday...

OK ... Copy from Yesterday May 22. The WDYFTD thread.

"OK weekend over and the wind finaly calmed down at Sunday 8Pm, three flights done.
    Back to work tomorrow for 4 days... Gotta fix the 2nd and 3rd movie after work during the week over there.

Yeah, I managed to do three flights and I had two Incidents, one on each flight... and finaly a crash at the end of the 3rd flight... Just a bump in the nose.:) lol. Here's the first flight."

1080pHD

OK. Incident'video No:2 online. Now with a healthy 4sbattery;)

1080pHD "The smell of rubber... flight 2, May 22.

Newt, jimbosflyin, Wildthing and 2 others like this.
  19. Did you look in the canopy? I think the pilot pooped his pants with all those maneuvers. :D

Great flying Lars

Cheers
    Jeff

Airflow likes this.
  20. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

HaHa! For that reason, the pilot was left on the ground.;)
    Thanks Jeff:)

Wildthing likes this.