FRCFoamies F22 Raptor- Scale Score and Fold

Discussion in 'FRCFoamies Plans' started by F1wanabe, Dec 20, 2015.

1. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

Yeah, It is only during the early mornings and late evenings these lights are useful, far from major cities where there is no traffic around the clock. Impossible to use otherwise ... just as in your case. Yes, these animals have long legs and a heavy body that cuts the A-pillars of the smaller cars...

2. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

It's done.:) It ended up with a really low weight for its size.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Materials, electronics Used:

3 and 6mm Depron Aero

Carbon fiber rods for the wing and stabilizers.
    Wooden coffee stirrers
    Brown Paper
    UHU Por
    Blue Dolphin, dry wall tape.
    2 Elevon servos, HXT 900
    1 rudder servo, HXT900
    2 TGY MG servo, TV unit.
    Balsa and Plywood TV-unit. Weight with servos and motor 3 Oz.
    Motor TGY D2628 / 6 2200kv
    Prop APC 6x4
    ESC 40A

The weight without battery. 15.3 Oz
    Weight with a 2000mAh 4s 24 Oz

Scale 110%

Have not decided yet if I really want to paint it or not, it will add a lot of weight.

Last edited: May 7, 2016
    achilles and TomMonton like this.
  3. whatmovesyou

whatmovesyou Top Gun

When helis came out with collective, it was winter. So for my son and I, we got to learn in the dark in a partial lit parking lot. So I bought a 2 million candle power hand held searchlight(used the car battery) so when you flew out of the lighted area, you turned on the light to help get it back.

Another interested point was while under the night light, when you ran up the heli speed,(learning to hover) the blades would sync with the 60 cycle parking light phase and it would slow the sync blades down and then it would stop still, and then speed up again. It would get scary, for your mind would start to concentrate on the blades and not your flying, so you learn to put full effort on your flying. Paid off.

Airflow likes this.
  4. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

With the first flight of the year in my mind... I don't want to crash a second time...
    Especially not at the maiden run. So I've mounted a temporary fixed motor mount. I will leave the TV-unit on the ground until my rusty fingers become less rusty.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

DavePowers and achilles like this.
  5. whatmovesyou

whatmovesyou Top Gun

One tip with TV. Whatever pitch movement you use for elevator, do 1/2 travel for rudder. Otherwise, it will rollover and spiral into the ground fast. Ask me how I know.

malukk likes this.
  6. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

Haha thanks, yes I know,.. we seem to have the same experience of the spiral effect lol.
    the hard way...;)

malukk likes this.
  7. TomMonton

TomMonton Administrator

Be sure to give her a good heave on your first launch. I think everyone had mentioned this at some point.

It's a heavier (than the atypical pj) plane so it needs a little momentum to get rolling.

...and yes I learnt the hard way. Once your flying it will practically stand still in the air and that much was a pleasant surprise. Otherwise it fly's easy or fast and it all comes to that point of preference, your personal flavor of riding on a flight.

My one heads up ... I have to remind myself that it's a heavier plane and carries a little different than a simple foamie.

Last edited: May 8, 2016
    Airflow likes this.
  8. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Airflow and TomMonton like this.
  9. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

Ohh .. my.., You make me nervous Tom. <But thanks for the tip!:)
    Oh no, not again ... A third wasp is on its way in through my open window ...
    It's obvious that it has become summer teperatur here now, d a m n Bugs.:mad:

TomMonton and Wildthing like this.
  10. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

Yes they give you the opportunity to spot the animals before it gets too late...

Wildthing likes this.
  11. TomMonton

TomMonton Administrator

I wanted to remain on 3s since I didn't want to buy a fleet of 4's right away. My solution was a prop drive 2700.

I don't care for the extra weight of the prop drive and battery so it really does need a 4s system in my opinion.

Once I'm home and settled again I wanted to mess with this plane a little more and make it a performer. It just looks so cool in the air.

Wildthing and malukk like this.
  12. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

A TGY 2200kv motor can cope with a 4s battery, NTM 2700 can not. why not try? I'm super happy with this little rugged TGY motor.

Wildthing and TomMonton like this.
  13. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

Ready for Maiden, Scale 110%, Weight 19.6 Oz with a 1300mAh 3s
    No ailerons only Elevon/Rud. I run it on an old 1300 3s during Maiden.

Waiting for the wind to die, the last chance in a week, back to work 4 4 days tomorrow ...

A counterweight on the nose. It's a little tail heavy without it. 1 "
    will not be needed with a larger 4s battery.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

TomMonton and Wildthing like this.
  14. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

This is a smash hit.:) Greg/Jay .. Why have you waited so long for something that the world has needed for so long, 2yrs ...... Members, download and start building! Everyone should build this, flying as if it had TV, just like a mid-mounted parkjet. Incredible, outstanding, amazing!!. Superlative, superlative, superlative x 10! No tuning needed. COG stock. Still hard to believe .. How is it possible! such a flying machine! Wow!:cool:

Thank you very much Greg/Jay !!

Video when I'm home again next weekend.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. kjdubuque

kjdubuque Ace Pilot

So this is literally the slowest build for me. Everything else just seems to be getting in the way of getting the F-22 finished. Anyhow... time to finish it. I'm ready to epoxy the motor mount on, any advice on getting it square? With the mid-mounts, I'd always draw as center line or use a glue seam to line everything up.

Airflow, bimoadiprakoso and F1wanabe like this.
  16. jimbosflyin

jimbosflyin Top Gun

I alway's attach the motor to the mount first,that way i know it i's straight.The epoxy holds quick but hold it in place untill it sets.

Airflow, bimoadiprakoso and F1wanabe like this.
  17. jimbosflyin

jimbosflyin Top Gun

I finally downloaded the F-22 and then while watching video's of it on you tube i saw the prototype for the mid-mount version,will the mod be added to the plans ? or should i just do it myself.

Last edited: May 9, 2016
  18. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Next weekend?!? What am I supposed to do until then? Glad it met your expectations, Lars! We worked hard to get this to have maneuverability more like a midmount than a rear mount, yet it's got the stability and full thrust of a rear mount. How was the wing loading on this 110 percent scale?

www.frcfoamies.com
    www.youtube.com/user/gstrysky

Airflow and bimoadiprakoso like this.
  19. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

I eyeball the wooden mount to get as close as possible then shim the motor precisely using tooth picks as wedges under the "X" motor mount. I also use gorilla glue so that, as it expands, it strengthens and fills around the wooden mount

www.frcfoamies.com

20. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

You can do it yourself! This rear mount actually is much nicer to fly than the midmount was!

www.frcfoamies.com