FRCFoamies F22 Raptor- Scale Score and Fold

Discussion in 'FRCFoamies Plans' started by F1wanabe, Dec 20, 2015.

1. jimpalmer

jimpalmer Ace Pilot

I'm getting there. All the servos mounted and linkages. Now to mount the ESC to balance it out. It's going under the bottom pan. The bottom is only taped in place so far.
    image.jpeg image.jpeg

2. Looks good. Hey silly question, how do you get the glue from the masking tape off, I tried alcohol and that doesn't work.? I clean mine pretty good but still after painting I can see where the masking tape was.

bimoadiprakoso and F1wanabe like this.
  3. jimpalmer

jimpalmer Ace Pilot

I've not noticed the masking tape marks. I usually do a light sand. Maybe that takes off the glue.
    If I use spray paint I first put a light coat of min wax polyurethane so the paint doesn't eat the foam. That must cover it.

4. jimpalmer

jimpalmer Ace Pilot

I'm all done the build and now for paint. I don't know why mine came out nose heavy but I have it balanced right on with the battery in the middle and had to put the servos fairly far back. Even before I put in the ESC it was balanced exactly so I put the ESC right on the CG marks as shown on the plans. Here are the last couple of photos of the build before paint.
    As always I struggle with a paint scheme. I need to sleep on it.
    IMG_0437[1].JPG
    IMG_0438[1].JPG
    IMG_0444[1].JPG

5. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Wow, that does look beautiful! The cg is very flexible so you'll be able to experiment with it of necessary to get the exact feel you like. I did a more scale look with white bottom but anything looks really good on the F22!

www.frcfoamies.com
    www.youtube.com/user/gstrysky

bimoadiprakoso and malukk like this.
  6. Very Clean setup! Looks really good too...

bimoadiprakoso and kenswa like this.
  7. Looks great Jim

bimoadiprakoso and kenswa like this.
  8. jimpalmer

jimpalmer Ace Pilot

Well nothing too fancy but it's painted. image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg
    What kinda mixes have you guys tried?
    I've set up two flight modes.
    1. Elevons, rudders and flaps
    2. Elevon, ailerons, rudders and flaps.
    It looks like you could even mix in some v-tail action as well.

9. Wow! That looks awesome! Simple yet beautiful... You can go with either mix# 1 or #2...

F1wanabe and bimoadiprakoso like this.
  10. I don't think my dad would approve of those colors, just sayin.... :D

bimoadiprakoso, kenswa and DavePowers like this.
  11. DavePowers

DavePowers Administrator

Hey Jim, looks really good! Smooth and painted super nice.
    So are you saying it was too nose heavy??? even with the motor and servos in the back?
    Or did you mean tail heavy?

12. DavePowers

DavePowers Administrator

For control setup I've liked ALOT of rudder throw on the F-22 in general. Those verticals sometimes get blocked when the plane is flying slow. Second thing I've liked more lately is flying a "calm" 4x4. Throws at just 15 to 20 degrees. This way I don't get into as much trouble, helps the controls from stalling out too. But that's just me!

13. jimpalmer

jimpalmer Ace Pilot

No it was a bit nose heavy. I saw everyone else was putting the servos closer to the cg point but with mine I needed to mount the servos farther back and the esc about the middle to get it to balance on the marks shown on the plans.

14. DavePowers

DavePowers Administrator

WHAT??? Oh, you must have glued a screwdriver in there and sealed it up.

15. jimpalmer

jimpalmer Ace Pilot

I wondered where that driver went. Dang it was my favourite one.
    It's perfectly balanced on the marks on the plans now so I better leave the screwdriver in there now

16. DavePowers

DavePowers Administrator

And that's where they all go.
    I had a plane I was building a while ago and I had the same thing happen... I had way too much stuff in the back and it was STILL nose heavy... I never really figured it out... Only thing I could guess is that the foam and glue in the nose and cockpit wasn't "too much" but it had so much leverage from the CG.

One ounce 10 inches away from the CG is equal to 10 ounces 1 inch from the CG kind of thing... Some math and measurements I'm going to start paying more attention to. So that's my best barely-educated guess.

17. jimpalmer

jimpalmer Ace Pilot

I did a weight check and I'm at 840 grams. Did a static thrust check and it's about 800 grams with a 3s and the 6x4x3 prop on the banggood 2212 2700kv motor.
    Draws 31 amps.

18. jimpalmer

jimpalmer Ace Pilot

I had ran out of the blue paint yesterday so today to the art store today to pick up some more. The vertical tails looked kinda naked. Now it looks finished. image.jpeg

F1wanabe, homey666, EricR and 2 others like this.
  19. jimpalmer

jimpalmer Ace Pilot

I'm a bit worried about mine at 850 grams. Did you get your prop drive on there yet?

F1wanabe likes this.
  20. This plane does generate a lot of lift and floats really well so I guess you should be fine although with that weight is a little on the higher side...
    I think one of the members here was a little less than 800g and it still flew well... I think you'll just have to toss it a little harder at launches with full throttle... Should be fine...

If going with 2700kv motor, might as well use a ntm2700kv for a few extra grams and quite more power provided you have good enough bracing on your wings..