FRCFoamies F16 mk2 - Adanced Profile Parkjet!

Discussion in 'FRCFoamies Plans' started by F1wanabe, Aug 9, 2015.

1. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Wow, Dave, that's a great idea! I just told the boys on kik today that I will do elevons only and use the aileron servos to make active le and rear flaps. Flip the switch and I'll have full flaps, like you just did but yours are fixed. I'd like to be able to do the a/b switch test on it. Oh my God! I'm thinking like Dave Powers! I don't know what the le flap haters are talking about, I love them ever since your su30.
    Btw, what is the reason for cutting down the elevons?

bimoadiprakoso likes this.
  2. TomMonton

TomMonton Administrator

This would make good sense too. ..I'll have to try this.

Flaps/flaperons really helps to tame the mig29 and especially the f18. Brings the nose up a little and floats much. .much better to coast in and set her down with.

bimoadiprakoso likes this.
  3. DavePowers

DavePowers Administrator

Remember back in the profile only days that the jets would not fly like jets?
    The flat plate wings would only do good at slow speeds and then "flip around" at high speeds.

It wasn't until KFs came along did the flat plate wing start to act like an airfoil.
    Also, the cylindrical fuselage also created alot of stability over the profile fuselage (that would act like a "kite" at times).

So I'm thinking if you are not going to have a KF and want to fly fast, leading edge slats AND flaps would help to create an airfoil out of the "flat plate". I think this might be making the difference here. The way I have my F-16 set up it feels very "airfoil wing" not "flat plate" ya know what I mean?

Also, I made the elevons smaller for a couple reasons. Not to get the plane too maneuverable and wreck the lift from the wing - and also the blue foam isn't as strong as Depron, so less moving surface has less flex.

4. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Ah, yes, I see what you mean about the blue stuff. I really like the feel of the flaps for my style of flying and will definitely mod it. Newt took my prototype to FliteTest so I'll have to get it back. I could build another (quickly) but there's something about making mods to the same plane to let you see exactly what they are all doing for you. Actually, it might be better to start from scratch after all. My prototype might have caught something from those FliteTest birds....

RobDavis, DavePowers and TomMonton like this.
  5. FED50H

FED50H Administrator

2 quick maiden flights yesterday morning. I just came off a week of midnights, so not a lot energetic flying. The plane looks amazing in the air. My airframe is a little smaller than stock...thanks to my local print shop and my being too lazy to check it before leaving. Mine weighs in at 12.6 ounces without a battery. I'm only using 1300mah 3s. On the first flight, it felt nose heavy. I think the stock CG on the plans are pretty conservative. I moved it back on the second flight and it was better...my CG then was right over the motor. Using elevator and ailerons, it was slow on the roll. I like a little more snap. I will reprogram them so I will have a linked set up. Another option would be to just enlarge them. It is such a fast build, making mods and tweeking is part of the fun. The large single stabilizer, which is part of the distinct profile of the F-16, limits some of the performance that other jets have...(think of any twin tails). That spine is right in the middle of the air flow. The ailerons are out to the side, so roll speed is directly related to the speed of the plane. Elevator response is great, as they are right in the prop wash. When using the rudder to assist with rolls, it will roll a little faster, but it is a larger cork screw type of roll. The rudder sits high on the stabilizer, which will cause that corkscrew... I plan to cut mine larger, down to the air frame, when I reprogram the control surfaces too. Very clean build, super fast, easy to tweek and modify. That is one of the reasons I love the profile styles. Everything is out and easy to get to. It does feel slower than other profiles, but that is more than likely due to the LE slats and missiles, but it is also what make this bird look better than just a flat profile. I noticed more stability with the slats, even with a little bit of wind. I'm using a 2200kv motor with a 6x4 prop...I think I may switch it out to a 6x3 for the next go round....

6. FED50H

FED50H Administrator

I just came back in from the 2nd round of flights...I got mine dialed in pretty much where I like it. My CG is at least an inch further back from the stock...I'm using a 1300mah 3s pack, and my bird is a little smaller. I cut the rudder straight down to the top of the plane...giving it a little more bite...down lower...it tamed the butt wobble down a little bit...using heavy rudder will cause it to roll, but it isn't as wide...I selected the Delta configuration on my DX7, then slaved the elevators to the Gear and Aux channels...I still get confused when doing that...anyway...my ailerons work in conjunction with the elevators on roll, but not on pitch...I'm happy with the results...the video I shot where I was playing with the rudder wasn't centered...but at slow speeds, nose up...it will hammerhead turn....inverted is effortless. I was afraid to try it earlier today...but now with the sped up roll rate...I could...once upside down, the nose goes up just enough without any help....I switched to a 6x3 prop as well...The F-16 profile in the air is unmistakable and classic...

7. DavePowers

DavePowers Administrator

Hey that is looking real good!

8. JettaManDan

JettaManDan Administrator

Nice job bud...i am building this next...just life keeps getting in the way! I'm going to do mixed ailerons with elevons...and see how that setup works out...

9. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Chip, that was really nice. You can see your confidence is much greater with the elevon set up. Had to watch that twice!

FED50H likes this.
  10. FED50H

FED50H Administrator

I think it definitely needs it. To fly elevons only would require making them larger which would alter the scale look you guys have achieved...unless it is flown strictly scale style, long passes, figure 8's etc...but to really throw it around, linking them is key.

bimoadiprakoso and F1wanabe like this.
  11. DavePowers

DavePowers Administrator

I made a muuuuuusic video:

12. TomMonton

TomMonton Administrator

Nice touch Dave...very well done.

13. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Love that, Dave! You're getting such good results from the flaps on there! Really scale looking flying! It looked stable and nimble at the same time. I'm going to do this! Nice muuuusic too

14. sirskyhi

sirskyhi Ace Pilot

F-16 small.jpg
    FB_IMG_1439841587559.jpg
    Waiting for my esc but completed everything else. I currently have the Ailerons and elevators active. I'll try it that way first. I may later lock down the Ailerons as described by Dave. I'll just have to see how the maiden goes. I'm not a fancy flyer, If I can get it to stay in the air and fly around I'm pretty happen. I still have a ways to go for acrobatics. It is an easy build.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2015
    EricR, Airflow, Slingshot and 5 others like this.
  15. TomMonton

TomMonton Administrator

She's an easy flyer sirskyhi...set to about half throttle, face the breeze and let go.

Interesting lines and was thinking that it should be easy to track against the contrasting colors. Well done.

F1wanabe likes this.
  16. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Sirskyhi, that's a beautiful plane! This is the reason we wanted to put out a series of nice looking advanced profiles. I for one learned to relax and push the envelope with the profile f16 and mig 29. In fact, my first edf was the mig 29 v1 edf! So, profiles have played an important roll for me. The elevator/ aileron set up you have will be very slow on roll which as you say, may be good for what you are looking for. Once you get comfortable, activate elevons and go to town!

TomMonton likes this.
  17. FED50H

FED50H Administrator

Veeeeerrrryyyyy nice...you tricky guy. The air thinks its a true airfoil....like a Frisbee. Impressive approach. Once again, learning from Master Powers:)

18. DavePowers

DavePowers Administrator

Hey looks really good!
    Great plan, start easy and be ready to adjust.
    Aerobatics are easy, its just a crash you catch at the last second. :)

sirskyhi likes this.
  19. DavePowers

DavePowers Administrator

A Frisbee, never thought about that, good way to describe it.
    My F-18 V4 kept flying weird (and it has a similar wing to this F-16) and I remembered this trick helped calm it down.

FED50H and sirskyhi like this.
  20. Icsbpowell

Icsbpowell Cadet

I'm excited to get started building this beauty but it's my first scratch built foamie and I'm scratching my head over the best way to layout and install the servos, linkages and electronics. I found 1 pic of servos on the original design but not the MK2. Any chance you could post some detailed photos of your installation with ailerons, elevons and rudder? Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

My patterns are cut and I'm ready to start tearing into some foam. Thanks.

F1wanabe likes this.