FRCFoamies F16 mk2 - Adanced Profile Parkjet!

Discussion in 'FRCFoamies Plans' started by F1wanabe, Aug 9, 2015.

1. BarryM

BarryM Ace Pilot

I bought the plans for the F16 Mk2 and the more I look at it and the preceding build pics the more it seems to be begging for an EDF unit to be stuck in place of the prop slot........Hmmmm, going to have to wait for a while though whilst I finish up my "Spectre" re-designed with a FRC Mossie type wing construction and Polaris style fuselage...bigger job than I thought!!!!

2. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

BB56, if you put twin tails on it it'll be a mig 29! Haha. Are you sure your cg is right? Abrupt diving (also known as porpoising) is the result of cg being too far back. What you describe with not having control with the elevator and ailerons set up also can be the result of cg being too far back. I've flown the 2.88 and this with and without le flaps and other than a tad bit different trim the le flaps produce a lot more lift. All parkjets have a few degree up angle much like the real planes, especially delta wings. Especially the f35!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Barry, the wingspan is perfect for edf! It'll have plenty of wing loading left over!

bimoadiprakoso, lysle42 and BarryM like this.
  4. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

Thank you Ian for your valuable information, worth thinking about.. Just as in your case, I often have problems with gusty winds ...:confused: And it's not often that the weather is suitable for flying with these lightweight models. I'll probably wait until it pops up a profile parkjet from FRCF with two vertical stabilizers. F-15/F-18/SU/MiG. I need a plane with very good stability because I mostly like to fly low and slow with a high angle of attack.

bimoadiprakoso, lysle42 and F1wanabe like this.
  5. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

...But I might change my mind, because I like the F-16 design very much!

6. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

I thought it looked like the F18 with twin tails. It may be my driving style but the cg is bang on. A couple of hours on the bench will see . It did look nice in profile when the wind died down for a few seconds.

7. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

It looks sweet in the air.

bimoadiprakoso, lysle42 and Airflow like this.
  8. flyhighhobbies

flyhighhobbies Administrator

I actually worked on F-16's in the Air Force so it's awesome to have a profile that pretty damn good.

9. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

Yes Ian! indeed, they do!

10. TomMonton

TomMonton Administrator

Interesting. The video that I posted was a nine mile an hour wind and gusting around 15 miles per hour

Last edited: Aug 13, 2015
  11. FED50H

FED50H Administrator

....maybe check the angle of the LE slats...check for movement...just thinking out loud...at speed, if they flex, or at the wrong angle, slats become flaps....airbrakes...it always stinks to create a model and it seems to be misbehaving...I've had a few like that...everyone's flies great, except for mine..gggrrrrr, luckily I usually have more foam and move on to the next...I should probably try to sort it out, but I really enjoy the flying aspect more than the building...

lysle42, TomMonton and Newt like this.
  12. TomMonton

TomMonton Administrator

I know what you mean. ..

I wish I could get my hands on his build to actually see what's going on.

You may be onto something though. Just stick another one together (without mods) since it's such a quick simple build. ..and try that ?

I admit I have assembled a plane with a slight twist in it and it always acted doggy. Wanted to roll or insist on lifting the nose while flying. When I did get it fly straight it always seemed to have some added drag build in because it was working so much against itself to fly true.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2015
    bimoadiprakoso, lysle42 and Newt like this.
  13. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

Tom, I am not happy with what you are implying on this post, especially after the discussion we had about the same handling problems we both had with the Mig2.88 with the stock CoG. There was nothing wrong with the F16 that I built, it is just a preference for KF2 over the LE slats. The KF2 allows for faster level flight where as the slats require a degree of positive incidence on the wing, that means the plane requires to be flown slowly in level flight.
    The field where I fly has a ridge and wood to the north west and when the wind blows from that direction it causes curl over which is very turbulent air with severe buffeting and down- drafts. I was at fault for the plane to crash as I really should not have flown in those conditions, but with more rain and wind forecast for the weekend and further into the week,I took a chance. If you read the posting of the maiden flight I say that the Bixler2 would not fly (due to buffeting and down drafts) and the F16 did really well.

14. TomMonton

TomMonton Administrator

No offence Ian ... I'm just eager to see you happy with the plane and fly it like a man possessed.

I will agree it truly is more of a fair weather bird. I find myself treating more like you would a slow flyer than a speedball parkjet.

I have a couple turbulent corners at my field too. ..depending on wind direction... and there's nothing but trouble in there when you get caught up in it.

In peculiar one area. When the wind is blowing directly into the wood line, the air just in front of that area is completely flat. Nothing to work against and the plane literally just drops out of the sky. Almost as if the propeller is free wheeling on the motor axle.

Flybyknight22 and bimoadiprakoso like this.
  15. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

I was thinking this plane with flaperons would make a nice indoor hanger flyer with a very light set up. Unfortunately we do not have any such facility. The very calm weather looks a very long way off over here so I wont get a chance to do much with this design. It will be interesting to see what Lars does, if he decides to build one.

bimoadiprakoso and TomMonton like this.
  16. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Ian, whether you use KF2 or LE flaps, they always fly with positive degree of incidence, like the real thing. Only straight winged aircraft will fly level. A bit of up trim is all it needs and all is right with the world! :)

17. DavePowers

DavePowers Administrator

Got my F-16 painted AND flown, it went great!
    I went with the MicroMotor, 6x4 prop, and a 1350 battery.
    Elevons only (had the rudder hooked up but forgot to put the pushrod back on after I painted it).
    Anyway, flew really good at all speeds. I also put the battery in the "center line" and I think that helped alot too. Just felt very balanced through the whole flight envelope.
    Also, got some video and will have that up in the next couple days.
    Great simple plane, will update you soon.
    pic1.JPG

18. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Looks good Dave! I think the MJv3 is probably the perfect motor for this. The battery exactly at centerline is a little difficult on the profile plane, but it would certainly feel good in flight! Rudder is fun, but with the center stabilizer it needs some airspeed to work well in both directions. Looking forward to the film at 11!

bimoadiprakoso and DavePowers like this.
  19. FED50H

FED50H Administrator

"Great" paint job on that flimsy green board. Much respect to you for getting it to work. I never could. Looking forward to the video.

bimoadiprakoso likes this.
  20. DavePowers

DavePowers Administrator

But yours LOOKS so good!
    I did a few tweaks on mine "right out of the box" that I think worked really well for me... I'm almost embarrassed how well this one flies for me. So here is what I did:
    1) I cut the elevons a bit smaller. Moved the hinge line back about an inch.
    2) Put the battery on the "center line". This always does wonders.
    3) Its pretty nose heavy with some good up trim (I cut my battery center line slightly too far forward) ;)
    4) I fly it off elvons and rudder, all "medium" throws, nothing fancy.
    5) And get this... I glued the ailerons down into permanent flaps. There is no servos hooked up, just full time light flaps. I felt the plane was a bit heavy with the crappy foam I was using so I thought it was a slick idea to give it some flaps for more lift.
    I don't think any one of these makes a big difference, but all of them added together I think really add up.