FRCFoamies F16 mk2 - Adanced Profile Parkjet!

Discussion in 'FRCFoamies Plans' started by F1wanabe, Aug 9, 2015.

1. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Definitely! That's a good weight with the 2200. The plane has a log of lift and the 2700 has 33 oz thrust, so... Fun times at the field!

www.frcfoamies.com
    www.youtube.com/user/gstrysky

TomMonton, bimoadiprakoso and Newt like this.
  2. ColoradoGuy

ColoradoGuy Cadet

I'm relatively new to scratch building and I'm almost finished with the F-16 mk2 build, but wanted some info on component placement. The plans show the approximate location of servos, and kind of where the battery should be.

Does anyone have a more detailed plan on the best location for all the components for this airframe (battery, esc, receiver). What seems to work the best and how is the battery mounted? Also, the plans indicate the hatch on the bottom, but there isn't any detail on the configuration of the hatch or if it is required.

Also, is the CG indicated on the plans good? I saw some posts where the CG was moved back an inch from the plan location.

Thanks

Attached Files:

DavePowers, F1wanabe and TomMonton like this.
  3. TomMonton

TomMonton Administrator

Very nice Colorado guy there are a number of photos already in this same thread with examples. You'll just s need to scroll back through the pages.

I just finished a new F-16 myself in fact. I left off the missles this time cute. ...but not very practical. I kept snagging and snapping them off on the grass.

uploadfromtaptalk1455738686257.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1455738699293.jpg

I did make one more change. ..you know me and rudders. I had a couple ideas on the table but decided to go this direction first and to change will be as simple as gluing in another slice foam.

I know I will get enough bite to rock the plane now but I'm just not sure how far from center will it hinge on the horizontal plane. If I don't like it well enough I will run the hinge line down to the frame....quick adjust.

uploadfromtaptalk1455738926468.jpg

Last edited: Feb 17, 2016
  4. TomMonton

TomMonton Administrator

One example. ..

5. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Hi Colorado! The component placement and on the plan will ensure that the plane will fly well but exactly where is up to you as the builder. Each build and builder is different so it's impossible to say "mount esc here, battery here and servos here" and have it come out perfectly precise so we give you approximate positions. Once you're flying feel free to adjust cg. Forward cg gives better high alpha, rearward cg gives better aerobatics. We set it up for a compromise that gives you a little bit of both. The battery placement is up to you. Depending on your placement of components and their weight, you'll need to move it forward or backwards to achieve the right cg. Most likely you'll be velcro-ing the battery into the intakes close to the front of them, but the electronics hatch allows you access to mounting esc and rx under there. We say keep as many of the components as close to cg as possible so that you have the best maneuverability and maximum flexibility in battery placement! Good luck and check in often!

www.frcfoamies.com

DavePowers and TomMonton like this.
  6. ColoradoGuy

ColoradoGuy Cadet

Thanks. I'll look back through the posts and see what I can find.

TomMonton likes this.
  7. ColoradoGuy

ColoradoGuy Cadet

Thanks for the info. I'll look at other posts in this thread and figure out where I want to place the components and hopefully have a chance to maiden when ever the wind decides to calm down here in Colorado.

DavePowers, TomMonton and F1wanabe like this.
  8. flyhighhobbies

flyhighhobbies Administrator

Tom, Did you finish your F-16?

I realize I never posted my video from December on how well the F16 MK2 handled the wind. It is very precise and aerobatic.

ColoradoGuy, Grantman, Dennys and 6 others like this.
  9. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

flyhighhobbies likes this.
  10. TomMonton

TomMonton Administrator

I have it built yes but I haven't painted it yet.

I got busy building and left myself with 6 new/replacements planes to decorate this spring.

I've been interrupted by work the past couple weeks and everything slowed down for a short while.

Right now I'm almost finished with a lighted AJ2 and I will need to finish off the FT Explorer.

.... then I'll start obsessing over paint schemes. ... spring is like knocking at the door right now.

11. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

TomMonton, malukk and Wildthing like this.
  12. DavePowers

DavePowers Administrator

13. DavePowers

DavePowers Administrator

Hey ColoradoGuy, good idea about the calm winds, this F-16 is floaty, which makes it nice for easy flying (assuming it's not caught in a wind storm). And with the electronics, I like to go stock according to the plans, and sometimes error on the side of "bringing everything in" towards the center line and CG as much as I can. Not a huge benefit, but nice to do if/when possible. Overall, you should have a good time with this plane, it's very forgiving.

14. But he does nice paint. ;)

15. TomMonton

TomMonton Administrator

16. Now you are starting to sound like my wife. :)

17. PropWashed

PropWashed Rookie

I downloaded your files and printed them out. How about a plan that I can take to my local print shop to print the plan on one or two sheets? I was disappointed there was no instructions on how to put all the pieces together. Which sections should be started with and then the next one. Being a newbe I was mostly in the dark. Why not a video on assembly?

18. pileit1

pileit1 Ace Pilot

The file to take to your printer is the one labeled "UNTILED".

19. PropWashed

PropWashed Rookie

----
    There was no file labeled "UNTILED" in the F-16 MK2 download!!!

20. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Mike, the file you get is a folder named "F16 mk2. Zip" and in that folder you've got either tiled or untitled plans as an option. As far as instructions, we gear the plans for advanced fliers which should have no problems with a profile plane. It turns out on this plane, it flies so easily and there are only a few pieces to it that beginners are finding it a snap. Also, we keep the cost of the plans to only a couple $ so we leave the build instructions to posts in on the forum. You can see the f16 mk1 thread this one for support. Plus.... We are all here to help! Pm me if you can't find the untitled plan.

www.frcfoamies.com

Wildthing likes this.