FRCFoamies F16 mk2 - Adanced Profile Parkjet!

Discussion in 'FRCFoamies Plans' started by F1wanabe, Aug 9, 2015.

1. gibby1117

gibby1117 Ace Pilot

Greg - SO AWESOME to get to meet ya and show you our flying field. Was too damn cool seeing planes I built being flown by the guy that helped to create them in the first place.

Here's some video from that morning!

2. DavePowers

DavePowers Administrator

That is a great video gibby! Looks so good, must have been such a nice time. Glad you got a video of it.

3. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Thanks again for hosting me at that beautiful club! Your Warbirds looked beautiful in the air too, and very scale performance. Gibby likes to retract landing gear as soon as there is daylight between them and the runway, haha. And he times the landing to the second with the Taranus count down. Lots of fun!

Our Website :www.frcfoamies.com
    My youtube :www.youtube.com/user/gstrysky

DavePowers and gibby1117 like this.
  4. gibby1117

gibby1117 Ace Pilot

Me too. It was like being at a really good concert in that I really wanted to document the situation, but also wanted to be there for the moment. Greg flew the heck out of my F-35 600mm as well. We did some experimenting with the CG... didn't get any video of that :/

Haha! Your comment about the retracts is pretty spot on. I've definitely got to addictions in the hobby; warbirds and these score-and-fold parkjets! Thanks for the compliments on the landings. My run in with an over discharged battery having brought down my P-40 two days earlier DEFINITELY has me keeping mindful of my flight timer countdown :)

Speaking of which, I was sure I posted this other video from a couple months back to this thread... but apparently I didn't. Fixing that.

5. DavePowers

DavePowers Administrator

If you are going to fly an FRC plane, you have to catch-land it!

6. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Nice one! Love the loop-roll combo and, of course, the catch! Speaking of catch, I must tell the boys on the forum that your little lady Amanda is certainly a catch! Nice visit all around.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2015
    Slingshot, gibby1117 and sirskyhi like this.
  7. gibby1117

gibby1117 Ace Pilot

Nice transition there into the lovely comment about Amanda. I must say the same about Lela. So glad the four of us got that time to get eats and drinks Fri night!

Slingshot and F1wanabe like this.
  8. BarryM

BarryM Ace Pilot

F16 With 64mm EDF
    When I bought the plans for the F16 and opened them up the first thing that came to mind was EDF, after digging around I found an old HK 64mm 5 blade with a 4200kv motor...that will have to do, I tested it and it came up with about 550g of thrust..:)
    Re worked the plans a bit for the EDF and then scaled it down to 80% (620mm wing span)
    Wing Plate small.JPG

Cut out the new fuselage and a few licks of paint...
    Fuselage Painted small.JPG

Next the air intake......I made this narrower than the original, at 80% 120mm enough to be able to hold it from underneath and launch it...
    Underside rear small.JPG

And here it is ready to go...:)
    Complete rear view small.JPG

AUW with 1800 3 cell battery......450g...:)
    Thrust with the EDF buried in the center of the plane...only 300g...:(
    Here's the Maiden flight...didn't expect so much authority from the elevons, once I'd figured it out the F16 flew really stable albeit at max throttle..need more thrust, next step a thrust tube running from the EDF to the tail...sharp knife, hot glue and a little luck..:rolleyes:

9. gibby1117

gibby1117 Ace Pilot

^ Loving that paint job!! Looks like she flies fine too :)

Slingshot, BarryM and bimoadiprakoso like this.
  10. bimoadiprakoso

bimoadiprakoso Top Gun

Awesome Barry!

Sent from my LG-F320K using Tapatalk

BarryM likes this.
  11. BarryM

BarryM Ace Pilot

F16 64mm EDF Modifications
    Did a little experimenting with the F16 and added a thrust tube, instead of the thrust getting spattered around by the wing plate and fuselage, cut those bits out and made a thrust tube from 180g card. Was a little tricky and the vertical piece of Depron in the photo was temporary just to give a little strength to the assembly whilst fitting the tube..

Cut out for EDF thrust tube small.JPG

The tube test fitted as far as the main CF spar, marked and cut the tube to enable it to slide in all the way...
    Thrust tube test fit front small.JPG

Here's the tube fitted, glued into place and the rim of a plastic coffee cup fitted on the end..
    EDF Tube fitted  rear small.JPG

The tube was parallel without any taper 68mm ID, fitted like a glove...test details...
    AUW increased by only 14g due to the Depron removed and light weight tube...
    Thrust increased from 300g to 430g...enormous :D
    Still no vertical but easy 45 deg..

Lastly another coffee cup cut short with a taper from 64mm down to 56mm stuck on the back of the tube...
    EDF Tube with afterburner small.JPG
    only another few grams of weight but another 50g of thrust, climbs out now at about 60 deg..:D
    AUW...488g
    Thrust..470g......sooooooo close.

12. jimbosflyin

jimbosflyin Top Gun

Great job.

bimoadiprakoso, BarryM and F1wanabe like this.
  13. sirskyhi

sirskyhi Ace Pilot

Great

bimoadiprakoso and BarryM like this.
  14. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Great work Barry! This kind of stuff is great to do on the profiles. Since a normal build takes a fraction of the time of a score and fold build you can easily modify and test and still have an easy plane to build and fly. Plus, the starting weight of the profile is so low, adding a heavier power system should still work out ok. Nice!

15. BarryM

BarryM Ace Pilot

Thanks Greg, just got to squeeze a couple more grams of thrust out of it...interesting thing here is although I'm only using elevons and even with them out of the EDF thrust it's still very controllable..:)

bimoadiprakoso and F1wanabe like this.
  16. Icsbpowell

Icsbpowell Cadet

I'm late to the party. (As usual) I neglected to flag this thread. Hey Greg- It was great to meet you and share some stick time here in Nashville. I still can't get over the coincidence of first connecting with Gibby then with you a few weeks later. The odds are staggering.

BTW: I got the Alpha Glowjet finished last weekend and have about 10 flights in the books. It looks crazy at night. Just picked up a programmable light control yesterday at a swap meet to add real flash to the setup. I'll get some pics/vid posted real soon.

Newt, F1wanabe and DavePowers like this.
  17. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Yeah that was crazy when you asked me if I was Greg, haha. I immediately remembered you guys meeting up with the f16's and that great picture. Nice to meet you too, and glad we got to fly. I didn't get the formation pass down, though. Great work on the su37,Btw. Alpha jet at night is so easy to fly, isn't it? Try to get video!

bimoadiprakoso likes this.
  18. sirskyhi

sirskyhi Ace Pilot

This is my third build of this F-16. I think I finally figured out the build. It's lighter and stronger. Hopefully I'll get her in the air soon.
    20160110_202759(1).jpg

Wildthing, Lgel, jimbosflyin and 5 others like this.
  19. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Looks really good, Sirskyhi! And the lowered battery tray too- good work! What's your weight on this?

bimoadiprakoso likes this.
  20. sirskyhi

sirskyhi Ace Pilot

The weight is 20 oz with a 2700KV motor and a 2200mAh 3S battery. You think she'll fly?