FRCFoamies F16 mk2 - Adanced Profile Parkjet!

Discussion in 'FRCFoamies Plans' started by F1wanabe, Aug 9, 2015.

1. dangermouse650

dangermouse650 Ace Pilot

Good luck, it is pretty easy to fly, it will fly real slow, i was so confident of it that i gave the controls to Jeremy, he did well, even landed it. I cheated slightly by hooking the ailerons and elevons to the same servo so i only have 3 servos .

Slingshot likes this.
  2. Slingshot

Slingshot Ace Pilot

Thanks mate, might very well try a 2X4 setup as well later on.

3. Lgel

Lgel Ace Pilot

I know that front slats give this plane it's great low speed caracteristics and foolproof behaviour.

As many, I fly in windy conditions but in a big field, where this light plane struggles (but stays airborne, which is very important).

As someone tried this plane with KF2 and no slats?

Does it improve wind penetration?

Thanks and cheers.

F1wanabe likes this.
  4. Thelic

Thelic Ace Pilot

I run KF2's on my planes. It feels like it adds some wind resistance, but if your flying without needing any additional lift I'd probably jump straight to KF4's.

Lgel likes this.
  5. Lgel

Lgel Ace Pilot

Did you build and fly an F16 mk2 with KF2s?

Thanks.

6. Thelic

Thelic Ace Pilot

No, just the RCP jets.

Lgel likes this.
  7. Funnyfoot

Funnyfoot Airman

FRCFoamies, THANK YOU SO MUCH! I have never flown such an easy plane ever! I wanted to add ailerons, but if I'm not gonna hot dog it, then I won't! It's so fun to fly, easiest I have ever flown. Beas the Parkzone Sport Cub S2, and even the apprentice. ;)

flyhighhobbies, Lgel, Newt and 2 others like this.
  8. Boxermad84

Boxermad84 Administrator

Wow, that's awesome to hear! So glad you are having fun with it, thanks for building and sharing!

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

flyhighhobbies and Slingshot like this.
  9. CPH007

CPH007 Rookie

Great looking plane and looks good for somebody like me who needs a model to learn (read crash) with.

I have downloaded plans but will be a few weeks before I get a chance to build.

I have some small 6g turnigy micro servos here from my slow flyer 3d build I'm just finishing. Do you think they would work?

I am also very new to flying with around 4 visits to flying club with my flight apprentice.

I am thinking of keeping ailerons, rudder and elevator functions to teach traditional flying methods, does that sound the best route please?

Also would you recommend the LE Flaps but in permanent down like Dave has done, to help slow flying?

Looking forward to giving this a go

10. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

CPH007, this should be a good plane to get started with! We recommend starting light with elevons only. Since the rudders on parkjets don't rudder like on straight wing planes then they would be an option IMHO. Ailerons aren't even necessary to start, but precutting the hinge is good so you can add them later. The 6g servos may pass the test if you keep it light but 9gs are recommended. And finally, the plan calls for the fixed leading edge flaps and we have the "wing rails" already on the plans which aline the angle. As far as fixed rear flap like Dave, it's up to you! When I fly with the flaps down its a lot of lift but also a little vagueness to the response. If it was me I'd do that second!
    Good luck and check back often!

Our Website :www.frcfoamies.com
    My youtube :www.youtube.com/user/gstrysky

11. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Lgel, the kf2 makes it more difficult in the wind, but try kf4! It's like sprinkling anti wind pixy dust all over the plane

Our Website :www.frcfoamies.com
    My youtube :www.youtube.com/user/gstrysky

EricR, jimbosflyin and Lgel like this.
  12. Lgel

Lgel Ace Pilot

Thanks, I would just like to improve it's wind penetration, I know that I'll loose some low speed capabilities.

I am thinking of a paper covered plane (polyurethane floor varnish with a better wing profile).

As I won't be able to build before spring, I have time to dream...

Cheers.

13. CPH007

CPH007 Rookie

Thanks for the detailed reply :)

I will go with recommended then and stick with fixed LE flaps and install ailerons but switch them off to start and see how I go.

Time to order some Depron, servos and other bits ready for when I get time to get stuck in.

F1wanabe likes this.
  14. jimbosflyin

jimbosflyin Top Gun

SANY0012.JPG 336-yf16viperzip-17-yf16jpg.jpg Finished my F-16MK2,ready for maiden but it's fourth in line.

gibby1117, malukk, TomMonton and 7 others like this.
  15. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

16. jimbosflyin

jimbosflyin Top Gun

I wish the winds would stop already,I've been takeing my heavier planes out but i want to get these newer builds out to the field.

17. CPH007

CPH007 Rookie

Great paint job Jimbo! Looks real good.

Do you use water based paints? I have an airbrush here with a few Fascolour water based model paints so was thinking of using those.

Also what's the method everyone uses here to hinge surfaces please?

I have seen score and then open up score with wide wooden strip pulled across the joint, then tape when folded over.

I have used the complete cut through with strips of packing tape one side (the reinforced stuff) and complete tape on the side with 45 degs right along joint while folded over.

I'm guessing you can also use plastid strip inserted and glued into foam.

What's the recommended route chaps?

18. TomMonton

TomMonton Administrator

Hinges:.. look at it as one of two ways. You intend this to be a plane that you will eventually wreck anyway ? Then use tape hinges.

If you fully intend to keep this plane around and are striving for accuracy. Then I would recommend a fiberglass tape and glue method. It never wears out or softens along the hinge line and accepts paint very well. In my opinion the more accurate choice.

This method is also called glassing and can be used for stiffening other areas as well.

Essentially ...a slather of foam tac glue over fiberglass drywall tape.

Lgel likes this.
  19. Boxermad84

Boxermad84 Administrator

looks awesome jimbo!!

F1wanabe likes this.
  20. jimbosflyin

jimbosflyin Top Gun

Thanks guy's.

F1wanabe likes this.