FRCFoamies F16 mk2 - Adanced Profile Parkjet!

Discussion in 'FRCFoamies Plans' started by F1wanabe, Aug 9, 2015.

1. TomMonton

TomMonton Administrator

2. JettaManDan

JettaManDan Administrator

this coming from a guy who does excellent paint work...lol

Airflow, F1wanabe and TomMonton like this.
  3. Lgel

Lgel Ace Pilot

Hello,

I had my maiden flight with the F16 Mk2 this morning in a light wind. It was my second build and third RC flight (trained before with a RC sim).

It flew well and landed softly.

On my second flight I grew bolder and tried many loopings, rolls, and flew inverted (even made a 180 turn inverted).

I built her with elevons only, the only negative was that she lost a lot of height when doing rolls, is it to be expected, or is it a problem of CG?

She had also a slight tendency to raise nose when turning.

An experienced friend had built a F18 V3 that flew beautifully for the first time (first foamie build for him).

Jet foamies have entered the Torroella de Montgri RC club, and many builds are to be expected in the next weeks.

Cheers and have fun flying.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2015
    Slingshot, Fz1Fazer, EricR and 3 others like this.
  4. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Lgel, glad to hear that you had a successful flight! You can try to bring cg back a tad to get a more level roll. You can pull back cg until you notice that the plane wants to roll out at the top of the loop, then go forward until it loops well. But the loss of lift is why the plane begins to drop. Experienced pilots will begin the roll and start pushing forward on the stick a little to bring the nose up while it is inverted then reverse when the plane rolls back around. You can practice that at altitude. It becomes like second nature. Thanks for representing foamy parkjets at your club!

Our Website :www.frcfoamies.com
    My youtube :www.youtube.com/user/gstrysky

Slingshot, hwilton, Lgel and 2 others like this.
  5. Lgel

Lgel Ace Pilot

I have logged six flights now with the F16, two on very windy day, when I was very near to loose it more than once (I was not alone that day, experienced pilots had their hands full trying to keep their planes airborne, sadly three planes were totaled this morning).

Due to the fact that the build was so kick and easy I didn't doubt trying to fly in marginal conditions for my plane and skills, I learned a lot this way.

The plane is incredibly easy to fly, you recover from any error easily if height is sufficient.

The take off is very easy at a little more than half throttle, I launch softly the plane with the left hand as I have seen many times in the videos you guys have posted, and she climbs briskly and straight without any correction.

The landings have my friend bemused, I slow down, cut power at ten feet high, and she glides softly, a little up rudder when less than a feet high and the plane lands on the belly nearly stopped (a friend said it landed as an helicopter).

As the F18 V3, I consider it is an excellent trainer even for a total newbie, my friends at the RC club criticized my choice of plane (a jet) for beginning in RC two weeks ago, they were proved wrong (they
    are busy building foamies now).

Cheers and thanks to every one on this forum.

6. Boxermad84

Boxermad84 Administrator

Nice to here that Lgel! Glad you are having fun!

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

7. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Lgel, what you have just reported is exactly the reason we released this plan! Because you have so little time and money invested in this plane, you are flying it more relaxed when others are grounded. You are getting stick time and experience in conditions others will not fly, and you are building confidence. Excellent! Newt tells us how his experience with parkjets like these has given him so much experience in bad conditions that guys in his club ask him to set up maiden their new arfs! Thanks for the positive field report and keep proving the guys at your club wrong!

Airflow, Fz1Fazer, Lgel and 1 other person like this.
  8. Newt

Newt Administrator

Just some foolishness in the wind
    This jet begs to be abused

9. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Nice Newt! You kept that stationary forever- in fact you were flying backwards there for a second! Nice work in the wind!

Airflow and Newt like this.
  10. Lgel

Lgel Ace Pilot

DSC_2557.JPG After 6 flights in a white livery, now ready for operationnal missions.
    Cleaned with detergent before painting.
    I used water based acrylic paint, doesn't eat foam, adheres to tape.
    Next one will be nicer, but a least no longer all white.

Cheers and have fun flying.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2015
    EricR, Newt, dangermouse650 and 4 others like this.
  11. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Good luck and get video!

Slingshot, Lgel and Newt like this.
  12. Slingshot

Slingshot Ace Pilot

Everyone's builds look awesome! Bought the plans a couple of days ago and I'll be pushing this to the front of my build list. Now if I can only have a day soon when something else doesn't get in the way, I'll get cracking... :D

13. Funnyfoot

Funnyfoot Airman

Definitely building this soon.

F1wanabe likes this.
  14. jimbosflyin

jimbosflyin Top Gun

I suck at making video,but here it is.I'll post pis when it's done and a flight video if the wind ever stops,that's not going to be any time soon say's the weather man.I ment to say the ailerons are fixed in position.The good news is their cutting the corn field down.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2015
    Airflow, EricR, DavePowers and 3 others like this.
  15. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Looks really good, jimbo! The velcro looks like it sticks well enough to pop off only on unplanned landings, and the flaps should fly great too. good luck getting to the field!

DavePowers likes this.
  16. Funnyfoot

Funnyfoot Airman

How does elevens only work? 4x4?

17. Thelic

Thelic Ace Pilot

4x4 means your elevons work with the ailerons in tandem using 4 servos. 4 surfaces, 4 servos, 4x4.

Elevons are enough to control these planes because it gives you both roll and pitch control for "bank and yank".

Some people add ailerons to get better roll response, especially when not under power when your thrust vectoring isn't in effect.

Splashballz, F1wanabe and Newt like this.
  18. Newt

Newt Administrator

Good answer.
    I like 4x4 so I can isolate ailerons as flaps or flaperons. Also let's me fly aileron and elevator or just elevons or ailerons and elevons.
    Like you stated, slow flying sometimes needs more control surfaces moving.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

F1wanabe likes this.
  19. Thelic

Thelic Ace Pilot

In contrast, you can run 2x4, with 2 servos running 4 surfaces. Linking the elevons to their corresponding aileron. This is a little lighter, but limits what you can do with the flaps, also links the ailerons to the pitch control, which can give you more slide into corners, as the ailerons are substantially closer to the cog.

F1wanabe and Newt like this.
  20. DavePowers

DavePowers Administrator

Your setup looks very good and clean. It's ok to have sucky videos if your plane is painted that nice. ;)
    The Velcro missiles are a great idea. I've vowed to not glue anything that breaks off back on... I only cut an equal portion off the other side! Over time, they will widdle away. Good luck on your flight!