FRCFoamies F16 mk2 - Adanced Profile Parkjet!

Discussion in 'FRCFoamies Plans' started by F1wanabe, Aug 9, 2015.

1. Icsbpowell

Icsbpowell Cadet

Finally got to fly my first scratch built plane today which happens to be the F16 MK2. Here's pictures of it before and after the first flight. Incredible... they look the same!! Despite all the great comments about the design on this site, I was afraid of it before launch. It only took one pass to realize what everyone says is true. This thing flies smooth as silk with no surprises. I'm running the recommended 2200 ma 3s setup with a 2700kv motor. This thing screams at full throttle. I had so much fun I never got around to flying my Extreme Flight Laser. I've already taped up my next set of plans so I can start cutting tonight. (

gibby1117, Boxermad84 and Slingshot like this.
  2. Icsbpowell

Icsbpowell Cadet

Sorry. I was logged in using Windows and it locked up when I went to open the files. Here are my before and after photos.

Attached Files:

3. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

Final test, F-16 Mk2 80 scale With flaps 20 dgr

Works really well
    Like an F-18 with flaps.

720HD

Slingshot and TomMonton like this.
  4. Boxermad84

Boxermad84 Administrator

Looks awesome! Glad your having a blast with it!

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

5. Boxermad84

Boxermad84 Administrator

Nice work lars, solid high alpha!

Airflow likes this.
  6. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

Thanks Jay! sometimes it is very nice to go lightweight ... and I appreciate it very much. Already waiting for the next profile jet in this nice series.

F1wanabe and Boxermad84 like this.
  7. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Very nice results, Lars! For a single prop plane it looked super stable. I like how you can do those crazy maneuvers at 5-10 feet off the ground! Not much to lose if you crash too. You are flying it the way we want people to fly it! :D

Airflow likes this.
  8. Icsbpowell

Icsbpowell Cadet

Talk about a small world. So I'd been flying all day today and just finished loading up to go home when a fellow I hadn't seen before shows up with another FRC Foamie F16. I didn't know him but I sure recognized the plane. It was Gibby1117 with the Thunderbird paint scheme. What are the chances of meeting at the same field outside of Nashville? I was really excited to see another one so I unloaded mine, slapped in a fresh battery and we got to fly side by side in some low passes and high alpha. What a blast. Too bad we didn't get any video. It really looked cool. He got some side by side photos of our planes on the bench and said he would post one on this thread. Looking forward to seeing it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Newt

Newt Administrator

Very cool!

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

gibby1117 likes this.
  10. TomMonton

TomMonton Administrator

It always impressed me how you could take a heavy plane and make it fly light. Then turn around and make a light plane fly like it's heavy.

Nice work Lars

Airflow likes this.
  11. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

So it was you! Gibby tagged Jay and I on facebook and posted this picture.
    11990396_10100357692619762_7297670205013034236_n.jpg
    Must have been something to see the two in the air! What a small world it is! Thanks for posting, Icsbpowell! Oh, and the lack of video is inexcusable :mad:

12. Icsbpowell

Icsbpowell Cadet

It was really cool! Gibby, thanks for posting. They look great side by side.

gibby1117, Newt and F1wanabe like this.
  13. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Yes, they do! Thanks to both of you for flying our planes!

gibby1117 likes this.
  14. Icsbpowell

Icsbpowell Cadet

It's funny, I was all set to start building an Alpha MK2 tonight and I just got the posting about your new Sbach plans. Ohhhh Nooo! What to do now. Thanks for all the work you guys put in on the plans. Guess all have to build both!

gibby1117 and Newt like this.
  15. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Believe it or not, they both take only a couple hours to build! The Alpha Jet is super quick too.
    Nice video, Gibby! Were you filming icsbpowell?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. Boxermad84

Boxermad84 Administrator

Wow, amazing you guys met up like that, both look awesome to!

17. gibby1117

gibby1117 Ace Pilot

When I was unloading and I heard you say "I recognize that plane!" I initially had no idea that you meant you'd actually seen MY EXACT PLANE on this forum. Haha! What a cool event to have met like that!
    I'll be there again in the morning - we have GOT to get some video of these flying formation.

Greg, the guy that got the video footage is a former bandmate from the touring days. Hopefully he'll join us again tomorrow to get the footage :)

18. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Excellent Gibby! There's a set of plans in it for the both of you if you get the footage of them flying in formation!!! We'd love to see that!

gibby1117 likes this.
  19. TomMonton

TomMonton Administrator

Oh neat idea. Formation flying is hard to do well but it looks so cool in those moments when they fly in unison.

Airflow likes this.
  20. whatmovesyou

whatmovesyou Top Gun

You really need to take a look at the variable leading edge flaps (VLEF by NASA). For instance, when you add the strip in front on the wing, adding the servos, you get instant lift and your getting your wing loading very low. Fixed angles (15-20) doesn't allow the full range of flaps. You need to find the max vortices coming off the wing.

After exploring for about a year, results--it tightens your high speed turns, lower takeoff/landing speeds and increase your angle for high alpha. Since you like high speeds, tuck them up and you got it.

It is amazing that most of the fighters have adapted the LEVF to their planes. If you have not seen some of the videos (rear view) of the flaps at work(no rolls, they are playing with that now) the positions are different for turns, takeoff/landing. The F-22 was the first that turned me on to this stuff and some of my landings are "STOL" in nature. Latest is NASA doing transports with VLEF and flaps!!!

After all the NASA articles I've reviewed (6 factors control the vortices), I found out and I am exploring (LEVF) deflections up to 60 degrees in high alpha!!!!!!! All this was a result of canards not working other than using them with a gyro.

Airflow and sirskyhi like this.