FRCFoamies F14 Tomcat Advanced Profile Parkjet

Discussion in 'FRCFoamies Plans' started by F1wanabe, Nov 10, 2015.

1. JettaManDan

JettaManDan Administrator

That is why I always wear a hat..to keep overhead flights from being disrupted!

2. sirskyhi

sirskyhi Ace Pilot

RCP and FRC just keep putting out great planes. I'm recovering from total knee replacement. Stuck in the house for 4 weeks. You think I'm bored. Heck no. I've built 5 planes during this time. The SU-27 and the Frcfoamies F-14 are two great planes to build. I just can't believe how smoothly they went together. Also I think I made a major breakthrough. I built the F-14 with almost no hot glue. The weight is coming in really light. Thank you for such great planes. Oh the other planes where flitetest planes.

3. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

4. gibby1117

gibby1117 Ace Pilot

[​IMG]

Maidened today! B-) Very glad my CG is spot on. I'm rather committed to it w the way I cut a position under the nose for the battery.
    Rolls on full sweep are spectacular, but mid sweep is my favorite position at the point.
    Something is VERY wrong with my MJV3 :( maybe a baring or something. Still flew great though!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. JettaManDan

video set to private sir!

looks good from the pics...hoping for a maiden of mine today

Slingshot likes this.
  6. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Yes, pictures are really good, gibby! Can you give us a synopsis of each configuration? What's wrong with the mjv3?

Our Website :www.frcfoamies.com
    My youtube :www.youtube.com/user/gstrysky

bimoadiprakoso likes this.
  7. JettaManDan

Did i mention i'm using a 450 zoom? lol...if the maidens go well today i may try a 4s on this next ;)

F1wanabe and bimoadiprakoso like this.
  8. gibby1117

gibby1117 Ace Pilot

It sounds like maybe a loose baring or something. Performs and sounds fine in the lower and top 1/4 of the throttle range, but there's definitely something very wrong. You can hear it most easily in the beginning of my video when I shut my yapper and start spooling up the motor for flight.

CONFIGURATIONS:
    Open: Very docile, stable flight. So much so, that I wasn't comfortable attempting an axial roll.
    Half-swept: My favorite due to good aerobatic capability while still looking very scale! Very predictable with surprisingly tight tumble loops.
    Full-sweep: Not a speed demon, but swift, fantastic maneuverability. Stable as well. Really, all configurations are very stable :)

bimoadiprakoso and F1wanabe like this.
  9. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Nice Gibby! flew well despite that motor irregularity. And the roll rate was pretty good too. Love the profile look of that in the air! I wonder if the ESC is the issue? I've never had a mjv3 go bad, but there's always a first time. Thanks for building that so quickly!

bimoadiprakoso and gibby1117 like this.
  10. gibby1117

gibby1117 Ace Pilot

It being an F-14... I had no choice ;) it's only my favorite bird EVER!!!!

11. JettaManDan

just got back from flying mine..of course it was nice out this morning...and when i went to fly it was windy and cold..oh well. Maiden is done! VERY responsive...i have my elevons dialed up to 150% throw of course...and a small amount of expo...it is crazy fast in the roll..and flips awesome at full sweep. If i had it to do again i may have tried half sweep..but for a crazy aerobatic plane full sweep is the way to go! I'm working on the video now..i should have it up by tonight.

Dan

12. sirskyhi

sirskyhi Ace Pilot

Thanks, Jay and Greg for another wonderful plane. This F-14 was so easy to build... It's just about complete, just waiting for servos. As you can see it built it so I can adjust the wings, I figure I'd start with them at the mid point. Oh ya, full AUW 650gr. with a 2200mAh 3s and 2200kv motor. F-14 Completed01.jpg F-14 Completed02.jpg

Last edited: Nov 17, 2015
  13. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

bimoadiprakoso likes this.
  14. sirskyhi

sirskyhi Ace Pilot

Adding the wing holes was easy, I just copied the layout as shown in the preview video and yes the weight came in right on the marks. I did cut out some of the center support in the middle of the plane so I can place the battery in the middle and added a wrap around velcro strap to hold the battery in place. Also added bamboo skewers on leading edges and across the center of the elevators.

F1wanabe and bimoadiprakoso like this.
  15. JettaManDan

i did the same mods sirskyhi...the leading edge bbq skewers and on the elevons...

here is my maiden video guys...

DavePowers, jimbosflyin, Lgel and 3 others like this.
  16. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Wow, Dan, excellent flight! Really looked good up there and great control in the wind. Wait until you get a calm day - rock steady stable. You can bring it down low at full throttle and it just stays straight as an arrow.

Slingshot and bimoadiprakoso like this.
  17. bimoadiprakoso

bimoadiprakoso Top Gun

Great flying Dan!

Sent from my LG-F320K using Tapatalk

Slingshot and F1wanabe like this.
  18. muttandjeff02

muttandjeff02 Airman

Hi on forum "radical paint schemes" page 3 mpmilesjr has a video. "F14 foamie flying sean's swing wing in action" That looks like a lot of fun. Does anyone have a build plan for this set up? Thanks for the help.

19. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

No, muttandjeff, as I mentioned in the intro, we did not want to complicate the build and durability with a swing mechanism and kept it quick and simple. The swing mechanism itself adds a lot of time to the build and set up. If you check parkjets you can see 2 swing wing f14s on there. Good luck!

20. muttandjeff02

muttandjeff02 Airman

Hi OK thanks but the swing mechanism reality cool.