FRCFOAMIES F/A-18 Hornet

Discussion in 'FRCFoamies Plans' started by Boxermad84, Mar 8, 2014.

1. gm3

gm3 Top Gun

Sweet how much would like a 50 pack end up costing;)

2. Boxermad84

Boxermad84 Administrator

Haha, depends on how many I order, the more I order the cheaper it goes. [​IMG]

Sent from my galaxy note 3 using Tapatalk pro

gm3 and Airflow like this.
  3. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

I'm on it Jay, as soon as you are finished with your TV mounts.

4. TomMonton

TomMonton Administrator

Slick.... it makes for a rather unique business card too.

gibby1117 likes this.
  5. alastair b

alastair b Rookie

Im done !
    Hopefully maiden in a few hours.
    I found this build quite filddly compared to the F15 / Su 37 , The top section is quite intricate.
    I did the bottom nacelles before the fuselage, in hindsight I think the fuselarge can go on before ? Would be easier to glue it!

My ESC is out the back, I extended the battery rather than the motor leads, have cut a little hatch near the vertical stab's to give me access to it. CG is spot on with a 2200 and plenty of room to move it as well.

Maiden will be FP 2700 on 6x3, I'll video it.
    Great design Jay!

F18_1.jpg F18_2.jpg F18_3.jpg

Airflow, gibby1117 and ASD like this.
  6. Boxermad84

Boxermad84 Administrator

Wow! Great work Alastair! Thanks for your input on the nacelles / lower fuselage, beautiful build, look forward to seeing the video! Good luck!

7. alastair b

alastair b Rookie

Typical British weather, as soon as i say Maiden it starts raining!

Airflow likes this.
  8. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Beautiful job, alastair! I'll mention again that a little paitience is a must for this plane. The scale look comes from the intricate cuts, as you say. I did the top first and then nacelles after and it works well! Putting the esc in the rear works well for placement and airflow and the only drawback is the need for a larger lipo (therefore a heavier total weight) to balance it out. However, the plane can take the extra weight like a champ! Overall, how was the experience?

www.frcfoamies.com
    www.youtube.com/gstrysky

9. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

What is the maximum wing loading of this aircraft with KF2/6mm on top?

10. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

We'll have to work out what we feel is the max number, airflow.
    But, the difference between 19 and 23 Oz was negligible so I believe that this f18 will do fine up to 28 Oz before you start feeling it drop. It's not a delta wing so the stalls show themselves at the wing tip more than on a mig. My v2 would start sliding off to one side as soon as a wing tip stalled. I haven't stalled this one yet, although on the first landing of the three I did in the last video, you could see it stall as I did a slow approach and banked at the last second. It at about 5:15

www.frcfoamies.com
    www.youtube.com/gstrysky

11. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

Okay I'll check the video for that stall Greg. The weight just under 28oz could be held. Maybe ...
    I have plans to try any of the following motor options, NTM 2700 or 2200kv, both with 3s batteries 6x4/7x4 APC. But not before I 've tried with a HK AeroDrive 2200KV 6x4/6x3, 3s, 30A ESC.

12. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Ooh, sounds interesting! I've seen them but have not thought of buying one. I'm smitten with the heads up zoom 400 2200 kv motor at this point, and the 450 for 4s duty like AsSoulsDream does.
    In answer to your wing loading question, I spoke to the chief designer ;-) and the total wing area is about 2 Sq feet including the lerx area. This plane is quite a bit smaller than the RCPowers f18 v3 which is 3.3. So the standard power systems you use will already push the wing loading high on this plane. This puts normal wing loading at around 9 oz per Sq ft when the plane weighs a minimal 18 oz. At 23 oz like mine with 8 servos and 1800 3s we're at 11.5. Luckily the rear mount prop delivers a clean thrust and even the mjv3 was pushing this plane OK. If you take it up to 28 oz that's a wing loading of around 14,so this would really flying scale. I would say 25 oz would be more enjoyable! 20 oz is a total blast!

www.frcfoamies.com
    www.youtube.com/gstrysky

Airflow likes this.
  13. alastair b

alastair b Rookie

WOW What a plane ! My new favourite, Here is x4 Lipo's worth of flying.

Plane survived , thats the main thing ! I cracked the fuselarge at the nacelles but a bit of tape will sort it out.

The video quality is not great after stitching the vids together (from a 808 #16) - What do you guys use to edit your movies and what settings for encoding prior to uploading to Youtube?

Boxermad84, F1wanabe and ASD like this.
  14. Boxermad84

Boxermad84 Administrator

Wow, that was a great video! Great flying, looks so cool on the flybys doesn't it!

ASD likes this.
  15. I use sony vegas pro. But its really expensive

cuz there's no tooling around, full stick and full throws all the way and always on 4s!

16. Boxermad84

Boxermad84 Administrator

I use cyberlink power director, the latest version. You can download a free trial. I render in wmv in either 720p or 1080p, whichever I recorded in. I sometimes render in mp4,just depends on the camera I use.

ASD likes this.
  17. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Alastair, that was beautiful! If the plane is close enough, even a crappy camera makes a good video! And if the plane is too far away, even the best camera looks crappy! But you kept it close and it looked great! Super smooth, isn't it? The lack of thrust vectoring makes the plane look really scale. Great Job!

ASD likes this.
  18. gibby1117

gibby1117 Ace Pilot

Greg, Jay... this plane is an absolute beauty. Especially in the air. Was awesome to fly this thing!!! I must've glued the right elevon on a little weak, because it RIPPED CLEAN OFF about 2 mins into the maiden flight. Took the control rod with it.

But get this... IT STILL FLEW GREAT!!! Brought it down safely. Video is uploading. :cool:
    She WILL fly again.

F1wanabe, Newt and ASD like this.
  19. What's ur setup gibby

cuz there's no tooling around, full stick and full throws all the way and always on 4s!

20. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Amazing, Gibby! The rear mount set up is really amazing, isnt it? You must have need quick on the sticks to recover from that- great job!Can't wait to see that video. With MPF and the NTM Prop Drive 2700 it must need a little reinforcement!

gibby1117 likes this.