FRCFOAMIES F/A-18 Hornet

Discussion in 'FRCFoamies Plans' started by Boxermad84, Mar 8, 2014.

1. gibby1117

gibby1117 Ace Pilot

She's a real looker!!!

F1wanabe likes this.
  2. ScottLott

ScottLott Administrator

Beautiful design work on this one, Jay!

I like the air intakes, it's a nice touch.

DavePowers, Boxermad84 and F1wanabe like this.
  3. Boxermad84

Boxermad84 Administrator

Thanks, Scott! I spent a lot of time tweaking this one, got the main airframe down months ago but spent maybe thee times as long getting the little details right. Spending time on the internals now getting the weight as low as possible.

Sent from my galaxy note 3 using Tapatalk pro

Wsamoset and F1wanabe like this.
  4. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Worked out the flying elevon set up. 2 issues concern me. I'm not exactly 100 percent happy with this set up because it adds weight where I don't want it-on the back where the motor already adds weight. So all else must go forward. Servos, esc and battery will no doubt balance out the motor and elevons. I was planning to do the 2s set up but it looks like the extra weight of this may need a light 3s.
    Second, home Depot no longer carries the tempered 2mm steel rods so I used some hardened control rods that may flex a little. This is a nice, scale look though!
    Here is my elevon set up. 2mm hardened rod within a 4mmx2mm cf rod. The control horns are screwed onto the threaded rod.
    [​IMG]
    And the two in place with gorilla glue curing around the cf rod :
    [​IMG]

Now that this is done the rest should go smoothly.

www.youtube.com/gstrysky
    www.frcfoamies.com

gm3, Wsamoset and DavePowers like this.
  5. DavePowers

DavePowers Administrator

Hey Boxermad and F1! What a great looking F-18!
    Great idea on hitting the high performance angle on this one.
    The F-18 platform seems so limitless and reaching into the higher speeds and capabilities is really cool.
    Watching it in the videos it just moves and flows in total control.
    The build, fold, and hardware techniques are really slick. The plane isn't being held back by trying to stay to simple. Really good balance on making it all work so good.
    With that rear mount, it just has to have your VT on it!

Boxermad84 and F1wanabe like this.
  6. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Thanks Dave, you are right, designing for the advanced pilot and builder opens up some opportunities for a more complex build with scale looks and performance! We are going to fly the standard rear mount set up a bit before adding the tv mount just to see what people can expect from it. Jay had some pretty good response from the elevon/vtail set up-almost as good as tv. Of course, for me the slow flying is important so a TV mount would add control in slower speeds. But then we ask ourselves whether a more scale performance should go along with the scale looks? We'll see what we get from it during testing!

www.youtube.com/gstrysky
    www.frcfoamies.com

Wsamoset likes this.
  7. lookin good bro, looking good!!

F1wanabe likes this.
  8. gm3

gm3 Top Gun

I never thought of a system like that to do the full moving control surfaces:eek::confused:. I'm definitely gonna use this.

gibby1117 and F1wanabe like this.
  9. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

That's my standard canard set up but bigger! Actually, my yf23 all moving surfaces were larger but the mounting was easier. Anyway, they work!

www.youtube.com/gstrysky
    www.frcfoamies.com

gibby1117 and gm3 like this.
  10. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

I flew the f18 yesterday - 21 oz and using the mjv3 on 6x4 3s. It flies great ! Jay used the fp 2700 which has a ton of thrust but sucks amperage, so I prefer a more efficient motor. With the 1800 3s the flight time is amazing and wing loading is perfect! I have become a momentum flier so this is ideal for me doing more scale flying. But I think a little extra punch is what most people would like and there is enough flexibility in battery position to accommodate up to a smjv2. With a heavier set up a 2200 would definitely be necessary. I will be placing my favorite heads up 450 zoom on there for more than enough thrust and I can still use my 30 amp esc and 1800 3s battery to good effect.
    Flap and slat angles need experimentation (Which I know Dave has done lots of already for the up coming v4) so that will be the next step for us. It's definitely a different feeling to fly with them deployed! Kind of feels like the plane is in slow flying limbo... Given the complexity of mixes and need for 8ch rx, my guess is that most will skip the slats.
    But, this is one stable plane especially for a flat wing! And thanks to Jay's skills, it looks great on top of that!

www.youtube.com/gstrysky
    www.frcfoamies.com

Wsamoset and Boxermad84 like this.
  11. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

Sounds good and promising Greg! What do you think, can I mount a Prop Drive 2200-2700kv motor on this ship?

F1wanabe likes this.
  12. Boxermad84

Boxermad84 Administrator

Going by your history Larz, i think if anyone can, YOU can!!!!! ;)

13. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

Thanks Jay! Just what I wanted to hear, if the designer says so, I will go for it! Hepp!! :)

gibby1117 and F1wanabe like this.
  14. Boxermad84

Boxermad84 Administrator

Hey, I didn't say anything of the sort, but that hasn't stopped you before :eek: 6s.............. Haha

Airflow and F1wanabe like this.
  15. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Haha, I say yes, Lars! As long as you have the esc cables to withstand 1200 watts! You'll need to cut up your wife's battery cables for that 6s set up!
    The f18is not a load bearing plane like the mig or su 37 though. You'll have to tell us where the limit is!

www.youtube.com/gstrysky
    www.frcfoamies.com

Airflow likes this.
  16. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

HaHa 6s no way...
    just a 3s bat. NTM 2200kv 7x4 or 2700kv 6x4 prop ;-)
    Sounds reasonable for the FRC F-18

17. Boxermad84

Boxermad84 Administrator

Once we have finished testing out our prototypes, we will post the "recommended" weight, then you can decide if the ntm will work.

Airflow likes this.
  18. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

Do not worry Greg, there will not be any high-risk experiments with this aircraft. ;-)

19. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

20. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

After a morning of testing, the plane flies great! This was going to be a walk around video but I also included test footage... Just because. Jay has shown the speed and stability of the first prototype and then made a few adjustments to the plans. This prototype has those changes plus I added flaps and slats and spoilerons.
    FRC F18 Prototype Testing:

A few minor details and we'll have it released as soon as possible, but all surfaces work well and are very effective. Rudders and vtails are very precise and add a lot to the plane and I would recommend them. They allow you to get thrust vector like performance out of it with a rear prop. The slats, or fronterons, really have my interest! As Dave said after testing them on his f18 v3, there is a lot of potential there and this is where we must continue the testing so that we can provide a standard set up! I flew them with flaps and without, both ways have a dramatic effect. Spoilerons are not as dramatic.
    For anyone who loves scale planes -tge looks and flight characteristics, this is it!

www.youtube.com/gstrysky
    www.frcfoamies.com

aangeles, ReDeYe, Keith_5031 and 3 others like this.