FRCFOAMIES F/A-18 Hornet

Discussion in 'FRCFoamies Plans' started by Boxermad84, Mar 8, 2014.

1. e3_Scott

e3_Scott Top Gun

Hi Everyone -

Another fall/winter build project in it's infancy:) Plans back from the print shop printed at 93%, ended up with approximately a 26 3/4"/680 mm wingspan.
    20180830_145848.jpg
    20180830_145855.jpg
    My current thinking is a single quad racing motor with a 6" prop, the gents at FRCF have confirmed for me that even with the downsizing I should still be able to comfortably swing a 6" prop. I will decide on the rest of the power system as time moves along, I will probably use an ESC that will allow me to use 4S if I feel the need.

My plan is to go with a KF4 wing configuration as that is my favorite setup for all the park jets I build and suits my flying style and the environment in which I normally fly. I will use a 6 servo setup, elevons, ailerons and rudders and after seeing how I make out I might program V-tails mixed with the elevator to improve pitch authority if need be.

This will be my first tail motor mount park jet, so I'm excited to see how it performs and what lessons I will learn from it:)

Cheers,

Scott

2. Boxermad84

Boxermad84 Administrator

Very nice Scott! Really looking forward to seeing what you do with this, especially with your chosen power setup! Good luck!

Jay, from www.frcfoamies.com

3. e3_Scott

e3_Scott Top Gun

Hi Everyone -

Build process starting to take a little more shape. I cut all the pieces out from the plans to start situating them on the foam. I have decided to build the main body of the plane with MPF, with careful layout, I will be able to get the entire wing plate on a piece of MPF since I downsized the plans.
    2018-09-19 13.33.30.jpg
    I should have enough scrap Depron around to construct the vertical stabilizers, horizontal stabilizer/back deck and elevons with Depron. Hopefully this will alleviate the need for extra reinforcement, although as discussed in a previous recommendation in this thread, I will still go with a piece of carbon across the horizontal stabilizers that come out the side of the fuselage (cut to correct length of course :)). Once I get my KF4 airfoils figured out, those will be made of paperless Dollar Tree foam.
    2018-09-19 13.50.29.jpg
    For power setup and controls, I will use the GepRC GR2306 2750 kv motor with either 6x4 or 6x3 props depending on whether I want to fly on 3 or 4S during a given flight session. Paired with that I will use the HobbyWing Platinum PRO 40A ESC as I know from considerable testing this can handle 4S and runs very cool even in warmer weather (temps in the high 20s/low 30s C).

I will use an 8 channel receiver compatible with my Turnigy 9x transmitter so that I can have separate rudder channels to allow for maximum mixing options should I decide to experiment with V tails. For servos, 9 gr RC Timer nylon gear servos for the elevons, 5 gr RC Timer nylon gear servos for the ailerons and rudders, my standard setup for park jets of this size and even larger. I found some 20 AWG wire in my supply bin to make any extensions needed between the motor and ESC, this is the same gauge as is on the motor, so I know it can handle some pretty serious current and will keep the build lighter.
    2018-09-19 14.10.38.jpg
    I already have the model programmed into the transmitter with all the mixes I want to experiment with, will just have to fine tune once the model is complete.
    2018-09-19 14.11.16.jpg
    For a paint scheme, I am leaning towards this one that was done to celebrate the 50th anniversary of D-Day. I used it once before on my RCP F-18 V4, and it seemed to show up well enough that I could track it in the sky:)
    caf_441-003_50yrsd-day_t.gif
    Time to get it laid out and start cutting foam :)

Cheers,

Scott

4. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Looks great Scott!! You've got the radio to do it, and the f18 is great plane for full control surfaces. With flaps and vtails it can fly soooo slow. I did the RCP v3 with zip tie landing gear and flaps and vtail landings are so much fun! Looking forward to seeing what you do with it, Scott!

hwilton, EricR and e3_Scott like this.
  5. e3_Scott

e3_Scott Top Gun

Hi everyone -

Slowly working through my winter build list, cut out all the pieces for my F/A-18. :)
    20181209_115709.jpg
    As mentioned in an earlier post, the wing and fuselage will be built with MPF Grade B, KF4 airfoils from paperless Dollar Tree foam and I managed to find some good sized scraps of Depron for the vertical stablizers, horizontal stabilizers and elevons.

I'm working on another project simultaneously with another designer, so I will take my time and putter along with the F/A-18 and will provide updates to my build progress.

Cheers,

Scott

6. Boxermad84

Boxermad84 Administrator

Wow, looks sharp on the rear of the top fuselage! How did you find cutting that out at the smaller scale?

JTiger, Wildthing and RCUrso like this.
  7. e3_Scott

e3_Scott Top Gun

It was fine, will require some careful handling.

Cheers,

Scott

8. e3_Scott

e3_Scott Top Gun

Hi Everyone -

Build coming along well thus far, will update with more pictures a bit later. Question for FRC Foamies, are the large green rectangles below show on the top view of your info page document as shown below suggested locations for rudder servos?
    20181210_073801.jpg

Cheers,

Scott

JTiger, hwilton, RCUrso and 1 other person like this.
  9. Boxermad84

Boxermad84 Administrator

Hi Scott, yes, that's the location for all servos. Try and get the around cg if possible!

10. e3_Scott

e3_Scott Top Gun

Thanks.

Cheers,

Scott

bimoadiprakoso and JTiger like this.
  11. e3_Scott

e3_Scott Top Gun

Hi Everyone -

Had a bit of a break from another project I have been working on with another designer, so I made a little more progress on my Hornet.:)
    20181222_122236.jpg
    I have all the score lines taped on the inside on all the pieces, I built the canopy, hinged all the control surfaces and installed reinforcements in the wing and the horizontal stabilizer.
    20181222_122919.jpg
    Since I hope to fly this plane fairly fast and aggressively, I opted for 4mm carbon rod for my wing spars and moved them back slightly from plans location for two reasons. First, I wanted to get as much of the wingspan reinforced as possible and second I already had two pieces cut that were recycled from another plane that fit perfectly.:) I used a piece of 3mm carbon tube in the horizontal stabilizer that I also had recycled from another plane that fit perfectly.

Next I will do a bit of sanding on the trailing edge of the wing, all edges of the vertical stab/rudder and the leading and trailing edges of the horizontal stab/elevon combo while these are all still flat pieces. I have had a look at what a quad motor will look like with a 6" prop between the elevons, I might also have to trim a little bit off the trailing edge of the elevons to prevent any interference since the can of a quad is about half as tall as most standard 2212 size park jet motors. I may also add some spacers to the motor mount like I currently do with my mid mount prop in slot park jets, a bit more dry fitting and measuring required before doing any trimming.

Cheers,

Scott

12. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Looking good Scott!

13. e3_Scott

e3_Scott Top Gun

Hi Everyone -

Just a brief update. Before sanding, I measured the depth of my quad racing motor/motor mount combo from another plane to see where my prop would end up between the elevons. I like to put some nylon spacers between the "X" mount and the wooden mount to get good spacing for prop in slot planes and I think it also allows a bit of air to get into the motor to help with cooling, so I will do the same when mounting the motor in this plane.
    20181229_115310.jpg
    So about 27 mm between the back of the wooden mount and the back of the prop. When placed in the current setup, there was maybe 1.5mm clearance on each end of a 6" prop.
    20181229_114838.jpg
    Since I will also be using 6x3 EMP props for some 4S fun which tend to be a little longer, I decided to measure in about 6mm on the inside trailing edge of the elevon and then taper to the tip.
    20181229_115058.jpg
    This opened up quite a bit more room for the prop and I also double checked with the 6x3 EMP prop and I should be OK:)
    20181229_115223.jpg
    I now have about 6 mm of clearance on each end between the tip of the prop and the elevon. After sanding, this may also be reduced a tiny bit more, so I'm pretty confident it should work out well:)

Cheers,

Scott

14. M
    Mach 10 here we come. :)

15. e3_Scott

e3_Scott Top Gun

Hi Everyone -

Made some pretty decent progress today after sanding the trailing edge of the wing, leading and trailing edges of the elevons/horizontal stabilizers and the vertical stabilizers. :) I glued in the formers for the top fuselage (except for one which has written on it on the plans easier to install after fuselage is installed), secured my velcro along the piece that will hold my battery.
    20181229_162957.jpg
    Also glued on the bottom "spine" along the bottom of the wing plate. I'll let all these pieces setup overnight as they form the foundation of many of the other pieces.
    20181229_163018.jpg
    Also, on reflection, I have decided to change my choice of paint scheme to something inspired by the "Canada 150" CF-18 demo jet from 2017. I saw this plane fly numerous times and it is without a doubt my favorite airshow paint scheme for the CF-18 of all time and I have seen them all. I don't have the talent to do the graphics, but I figure a bright red plane with some white and grey accents will be easier to track than a grey plane with black and white stripes, especially when it is going fast;).
    508-eFLYER-FA01-01.jpg
    CF-188_188734_CYHM17_0524-01_0058.jpg
    CANADA-150-HORNET_Darkroom.jpg

Cheers,

Scott

homey666, F1wanabe, hwilton and 4 others like this.
  16. e3_Scott

e3_Scott Top Gun

Hi Everyone -

Some more progress today:) Upper fuselage installed, the nose will require some work, I plan on filling the gaps with scrap foam later on for a very nice smooth finish, so filling and sandpaper will fix that up.
    20181230_115326.jpg

I also decided it was time to roughly place my electronics to get a feel for where those would fit/go before I got too far.
    20181230_115418.jpg
    I placed my elevon and aileron servos per the plan, taped in place just so I could figure whether I would need servo extensions or not. Also figured out how long I would need to make extensions between the motor and ESC. I shouldn't need servo extensions for my elevons, I will for the ailerons (about 6" should do it) and not quite sure about the rudder servos, all depends on my final placement of my receiver.
    20181230_115900.jpg
    ESC on the right side of the plane, close to the canopy/battery bay so that I don't need an extension between the battery and ESC.
    20181230_115426.jpg
    Receiver on the left side of the plane.
    20181230_115430.jpg
    Originally I had hoped to put my rudder servos up close to the CG, but found I would be interfering with part of the intake/nacelles, so I moved them back somewhat. Hopefully things will still work out to balance on the CG, my battery and ESC will both be ahead of CG.
    20181230_115336.jpg

Cheers,

Scott

JTiger, F1wanabe, EricR and 2 others like this.
  17. e3_Scott

e3_Scott Top Gun

Hi Everyone -

Had a busy few days since my last update. Starting to look a lot more like a Hornet now:) Vertical stabs are just dry fit for now, those will go on after I finish all the sanding.
    20190102_145041.jpg
    20190102_145213.jpg
    Other than that, just need to put the rest of the bottom of the fuselage on now that all the electronics have been installed and checked several times to ensure everything is connected securely, motor is spinning in the correct direction, etc. Pushrods installed for the elevons and ailerons, will add the rudder pushrods at the end of the build.
    20190102_145301.jpg
    With downsizing, it made my battery bay a little tight, so I had to carve away a little of the internal structure of the canopy, especially to get my 4S battery in place. I put a set of magnets on the back to secure it and a small piece of Popsicle stick on the front of the canopy to help hold it secure.
    20190102_145052.jpg
    I moved my ESC back considerably (about 8") from where I had hoped to put it just to try to balance somewhat close to the CG, so I had to make an extension between the battery and ESC, not ideal in my experience, but hopefully it will balance correctly. ESC tucked in on the right side of the plane, receiver and servo wires on the left side of the plane.
    20190102_143328.jpg

I estimate my AUW with paint job and 2200 3S battery to be in the neighborhood of about 600 gr/21.2 oz. My chosen power system will still give it plenty of push, so I'm not too worried about that.

After I install the bottom of the fuselage, the KF4s, I will fill the gaps on the fuselage with some scrap foam, sand it nice and smooth and then it should be pretty much done other than installing the vertical stabs last. I may do the maiden "unpainted" just to see how things work out since I have never flown a tail motor mount park jet before.

Cheers,

Scott

JTiger, Wildthing and EricR like this.
  18. Boxermad84

Boxermad84 Administrator

Looking really good Scott, she's crammed full of electronics for sure! At 100% scale it's a snug fit so you did well to get it all in!

FED50H, JTiger and e3_Scott like this.
  19. e3_Scott

e3_Scott Top Gun

Hi Everyone -

Ready to slip the surly bonds of earth :)
    20190112_153215.jpg
    20190112_153244.jpg
    20190112_153818.jpg

Build summary

Current AUW with 2200 3S battery - 601 gr/21.2 oz

Built primarily of MPF Grade B, vertical stabilizers, horizontal stabilizers and elevons made of Depron, KF4 airfoils made with paperless Dollar Tree Foam (Adams Readiboard). Wings reinforced with 4mm carbon rod.

Power System

Motor - GepRC GR2306 2750 kv

Props - 6x4 APC gas for 3S and 6x3 EMP for 4S

ESC - HobbyWing Platinum PRO 40A with custom settings of 26.25 degrees timing and 8 KHz PWM frequency.

Servos - RC Timer 9 gr nylon gear servos for elevons, 5 gr servos for ailerons and rudders.

I decided not to fill any grooves for now, but gave all the score and folds a good sanding, painting may come later. Throws are currently set per the info page that comes with the plans.

Hope to maiden in the next few days weather permitting.

Cheers,

Scott

F1wanabe likes this.
  20. Boxermad84

Boxermad84 Administrator

Good luck Scott, looking forward to the maiden report. Watch out for torque roll at slow speed, with the motor on the back the motor can torque the plane more than a mid mount would do. Other than that she's a great flying plane!

F1wanabe and FED50H like this.