FRCFOAMIES F/A-18 Hornet

Discussion in 'FRCFoamies Plans' started by Boxermad84, Mar 8, 2014.

1. BarryM

BarryM Ace Pilot

He he, thanks Greg, think I might just do it....:cool:

F1wanabe likes this.
  2. RCUrso

RCUrso Ace Pilot

Greg, could you tell me the KF airfoil thread # that I can go and study it deeper? I need to learn more about that.

3. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

4. RCUrso

RCUrso Ace Pilot

5. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Oh, and here's a classic, Silvio! haha!

RCUrso likes this.
  6. RCUrso

RCUrso Ace Pilot

Hahaha, Dave was a boy! Hahaha... Thanks Greg... I learned a lot in just one day!

bimoadiprakoso and EricR like this.
  7. BarryM

BarryM Ace Pilot

Greg I'm planning on using a standard elevator and ailerons setup once I get going on the F18, what do you think?

8. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

That is good, Barry! The extra controls I had on mine are not necessary at all. It'll fly great with elevator and ailerons! I mentioned it several times, but will mention it again : remember that this plane is a scale flier with a rear mount motor and no thrust vectoring, so it's important to keep your speed up so the control surfaces have enough airflow to work. Other than that, it is a super smooth flier! Good luck Barry!

bogusbandit56 likes this.
  9. RCNoob902

RCNoob902 Airman

Thinking about buying/building this. First build for a rear mounted motor. Is it a faster build than RCP F-18 v4? What's the placement of the ESC & battery? Extend the 2 battery wires or the 3 motor wires? I'm already flying the Alpha Jet and the SU-30 v4 is 90% complete. Looking to get another plane in the pipeline. And clean up my workspace before my wife kicks me out....

bogusbandit56 likes this.
  10. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Giao, I extend the motor wires in order keep the esc forward for better cg. A rear mount parkjet has better thrust but you need to move all components forward to get proper cg. So, the cg and servos should all be at cg and the battery will balance the motor. This plane is not as quick as an rcpowers plane to build because of the scale features. The cuts and scores are a little more precise. Also, the rear mount planes have no thrust vectoring so you must fly it scale. It's so much fun to fly and it looks really amazing in the air. Super fast on a small power system too.

11. RCNoob902

RCNoob902 Airman

Oh, not really a fan of slow builds. Day job and kid responsibilities. Even the easy build Alpha Jet took me long enough... Plus I'm anal about everything. (Last to finish Chemistry lab experiments) Haha.

12. alastair b

alastair b Rookie

Hi Guys,
    Im back after an absense, I checked my last build was the FRC F-18 a year ago !
    Anyway, I've finished cutting out and will start assembling my 2nd this week.

Question - Without going through all the pages on here. In a nutshell are there any worthwhile mods on the standard plans?

I will be re-inforcing the fuse where the nacelles are as I had a crack on mine after a few landings. Aside from the normal carbon / dry wall tape in the usual areas, anything else to look for?

13. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Wow, glad to see you back! I love this plane light. So, flat wing with fixed le flaps and using the build techniques you mentioned is great. A 2826 motor is fine too. If you can get a heads up rc zoom 400, that's got the best combination of light weight and speed/power in my opinion. And all you need is a 30 amp esc on 6x3 emp prop. When this plane is under 19 oz then it is so nimble despite no tv. I would recommend elevons and ailerons, but if you use flaps with the le flaps, it can fly very slow and stable! How many control surfaces are you planning?

14. BarryM

BarryM Ace Pilot

Nice to see the F18 being re visited....:) I never did get around to building one due to the Mig29, A10 & F15 taking preference, but like the F15 American revolution bi centennial caught my eye, this F18 paint scheme has just done the same thing....
    Millenium_02.jpg

I'm really enjoying the scale looks that FRC have produced and after just finishing the F15 this has got to my next project...:D

bimoadiprakoso, F1wanabe and malukk like this.
  15. Travm1982

Travm1982 Rookie

Can someone give me a recommendation as to how this wing should be set up for a novice. Will it fly ok with a flat airfoil or should I add the leading edge flaps? If so, what is a good angle to fix them at? I'm not interested in controlling them with a servo at this point .

Thanks
    Travis

F1wanabe likes this.
  16. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Travm1982 and RCUrso like this.
  17. Travm1982

Travm1982 Rookie

Thanks F1,

I'm still learning the basics so the majority of my flying is on the slower side. Gentle sweeping turns, rolls and loops. Probably more on the scale side of the spectrum.

Thanks again for the help. I've already built the F-15(haven't flown it yet), I think the A-10 is next after the f-18. I love these designs.

F1wanabe and Wildthing like this.
  18. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

The f18 will be a good one for you then. It is a real stable flier and for scale flying it's excellent. Try the fixed le flaps at 25 percent and it'll have a very wide flight envelope. Especially if you just want to tool around. The a10 is one of my favorites - good luck with that!

www.frcfoamies.com
    www.youtube.com/user/gstrysky

19. Travm1982

Travm1982 Rookie

Now I just have to figure out how I'm going to get all of the electronics in there.

Attached Files:

F1wanabe, malukk and Grantman like this.
  20. Boxermad84

Boxermad84 Administrator

oooh, looks sharp! What paint are you thinking of?