FRCFOAMIES F/A-18 Hornet

Discussion in 'FRCFoamies Plans' started by Boxermad84, Mar 8, 2014.

1. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

Jay, The plane was Ok! I have made a new flight this evening, the airfoil works better than expected!
    The aircraft maintains a good speed through the air, even when the engine is turned off.
    video follows

[​IMG]

gibby1117, F1wanabe and ASD like this.
  2. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

3. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

Oh no, Greg! It's an FRC aircraft you know!? ;-), and they are very tolerant. I think it would fly, even with a brick-like airfoil ... HaHa ;-) no, but almost ...
    This airfoil is actually simplified a KF2 50/50 airfoil. and not like the usual KF2/40/60

Next testflite here...

2nd test flight online, and a bit closer to a good optimization... I still fly on a 1300mAh battery. But have loaded the nose with more dead weight.

The flight lasted for 5 minutes. The small 1300mAh battery was only half empty
    53% remained.

Hami21 and ASD like this.
  4. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Nice job, Lars! Looked much better! The rear mount prop is a lot more quiet than mid mount because the prop has no cavitation with surrounding foam. Its Open and delivering almost full thrust. You may feel like you need more thrust compared to a thrust vectoring plane, but without thrust vectoring its impossible to get into the same high alpha angle or hover because the control surfaces are ineffective without airflow. Momentum is key and after a couple flights I was able to maintain forward momentum enough at all times to get the angle up pretty good, but its definitely not like the TV planes. I think of it as a great challenge to get that nose up with the F18! But, speed looked really good with that motor. Glad the airfoil is working!

Agent_J and Airflow like this.
  5. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

Yeah Greg, it feels pretty much like my Su-34 which has (TV) system, but weighing too much, (41oz) for the NTM Prop Drive. But I also have TV mounted on this one, but so far limited by the transmitter/ radio. Will try with full throws tomorrow.
    I do not miss elevons on this one! The ailerons are slightly larger, to compensate, for the elevons.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

F1wanabe and ASD like this.
  6. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Airflow likes this.
  7. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

Yes it is a great aircraft regardless! :)

8. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

UpDate,

Preparing for the third test flight, with full throws on all control surfaces

Now the Pitot tube, installed correctly to avoid erroneous speed data, given the turbulent air around the fuselage. Yesterday's top speed was only 28 Mph.
    [​IMG]

And then ... an accident happened this morning .. Stumbled upon the aircraft and managed to break off the right vert stabilizer, now repaired with an ugly barbecue skewer.

[​IMG]

Changed timing (ESC )from low to high, have never tested it on a 2200KV Aero Drive before ...

[​IMG]

A Cut through the scrawny 3mm nose. to get the center of gravity right without having to load unnecessary deadweight or a bigger battery. Now I can even fly with a 1000mAh battery.

[​IMG]

Here comes the sun, clear skies, but the wind increases ... Not good!

F1wanabe likes this.
  9. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

10. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

the moment of truth, almost time to take a few steps from the workshop to the field.
    ETL. 30 minutes.
    Headwind 6.7 mph - 10.8 - km / h - 5.8 kn, gusty. Not so bad!:)

11. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

No comments on the topic of power lines, I'm used to it now...

But it flew very well with the T.V. activated!
    My most manoeuvrable plane with just one motor.:cool:
    almost like my old twin su-mk2!!

The air speed indicator worked fine after the adjustment.
    New top speed 53 mph.

A rather spectacular film on the "tube" tomorrow.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Wsamoset, ASD and F1wanabe like this.
  12. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

Thanks Greg/Jay! such a magnificent plane you have put together! it splits the air like a razor blade.
    The AeroDrive Motor does not give this streamlined masterpiece any justice (I need to change to a Prop Drive!) Anyway, This will be a new summer addiction... It really comes to life with TV! add without elevons!

When are you ready to deliver your FRC TVmotor mount?
    If I crash this aircraft, then I do not want to build a new TV unit my own way again.
    I want it simple! I'm thinking of using an FRC TV motor mount for other future builds too.

FRC F/A-18 Hornet TV Optimisation almost finished! Oops, there's a ...
    What a potetial this aircraft has! But I do not like power lines...

720p HD

13. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

That'd better, Lars! Full throws! That doesn't have totally vertical performance but it does really well with momentum! High alpha is very steady with this plane and I haven't seen wing rock at all! A slip side ways or two, but no wing rock! Very nice flying! You should put up gates across the road while you fly...

www.frcfoamies.com
    www.youtube.com/gstrysky

14. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

Yes it really is a terrific stable airplane! Especially considering that it only has an elevator instead of elevons, which I think works better in high alpha. I can not explain why not the FRC F-18 wing rock as others do...

15. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

The absence of power ...
    My FRC F/A-18 hornet turned out to be an exelent aircraft. Extremely happy with it!
    But ... The aircraft's weight is 21oz with TV motor mount.
    Turnigy Aero Dive D2826/6 2200KV. (It supplies about 21 - 25oz)
    APC 6x4 prop.
    40A ESC
    3s 1300mAh Battery.

Instead of switching the motor to an NTM 2700kv
    I decided to do a test with 4s battery and a 6x3E TGS/EMP propeller.

The result was not expected! :) !
    STT. Static Thrust Test, on line, soon...
    [​IMG]

F1wanabe likes this.
  16. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

There must be something wrong with my Watt meter ...

17. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

TomMonton and Airflow like this.
  18. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

F1wanabe likes this.
  19. TomMonton

TomMonton Administrator

F1wanabe and Airflow like this.
  20. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

Here is the last test before I plug in a 4s battery for this motor :) hehe...
    FRC F/A-18 Hornet with TGS/EMP 6x3 Prop/ 3s bat.