FRCFOAMIES F/A-18 Hornet

Discussion in 'FRCFoamies Plans' started by Boxermad84, Mar 8, 2014.

1. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

Oops the Canopy! almost forgot it! glue dries ...

2. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

Jay/Greg
    Maiden/COG issue. Is there any margin for COG half an inch further back without unpleasant things happen, kind of ...

3. Boxermad84

Boxermad84 Administrator

Half an inch shouldn't be to much of a problem

Sent from my galaxy note 3 using Tapatalk pro

Last edited: May 11, 2014
    Airflow likes this.
  4. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

Thank you, just in case it ends up that way.

5. TomMonton

TomMonton Administrator

I've been using acrylics deluded down with Windex about 1 to 1 roughly to a milk typed consistency. This is what seems to shoot the best for my setup then of course spray that first coat lightly and give a chance to dry well. Painting over packing tape can be a real challenge sometimes

The gloss paints cover pretty good in only two coats but the matte finishes always takes three.

Nicely done too btw .. You've created a nice weathered scale look on that one.

6. Boxermad84

Boxermad84 Administrator

Thanks, I use this stuff. It's ready to use out of the bottle. Have you done the fibre glass tape and foam tac hinge yet? So easy to paint and stronger than the foam around it! [​IMG][​IMG]

Airflow and TomMonton like this.
  7. TomMonton

TomMonton Administrator

Good timing.. I was just at the hardware store today to pick up some more epoxy and drywall tape.

My next build will have glassed hinge lines this time. Filament tape is quick and is simply how i learned to do it but...sometimes change is good right? :) Besides I'm just that frustrated trying to hold paint over the slippery surface anymore.

I understand how it's done using foam tac ...You use the same technique as tape to and bottom right ? No surprises otherwise?

gibby1117 likes this.
  8. Boxermad84

Boxermad84 Administrator

I just do it on top of the hinge, it's incredibly strong just on one side.

TomMonton and gibby1117 like this.
  9. gibby1117

gibby1117 Ace Pilot

I still use filament tape from time to time, Tom. In fact, I used it on my latest build, the Drongo, to hinge the electronics hatch. To get the paint to stick to the tape, just sand it a bit. Roughts it up enough to let the paint stick to it.
    But I am a HUGE fan of the method Jay is using for hinges. I used his foam tac & drywall tape method on all the Drongo's control surface hinges. I did it once a few planes back, and has been my preferred method since :)

TomMonton, ASD and Boxermad84 like this.
  10. TomMonton

TomMonton Administrator

Okay I'm sold..it just in my mind seems incomplete being on the one side only. I'm going to work this into my next build already on paper waiting that next rainy day.

Thanks guys.

11. gibby1117

gibby1117 Ace Pilot

Just to further ease your mind, remember that the hinge is only on one side of whatever surface it's attached to. If your control horn is on the top of a control surface, then the underside of that same surface should be beveled to form a wedge that still meets flush with the top. There is no hinge on the bottom, it's only on the top. So that's the only place you need that strength. It's the only place there's a pivoting action :)

[​IMG]

Airflow and F1wanabe like this.
  12. TomMonton

TomMonton Administrator

Gotcha... and it all makes good sense. I just become a create of habit sometimes. Lol.

gibby1117 likes this.
  13. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

UpDate

The night shift in the planeshop has started, Maiden approaching...

[​IMG]

to be continued...

14. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Lars, I wouldn't be surprised if your airfoil wing would need a cg adjustment specific to that wing. With the straight wing to lift is coming from a different place than the airfoil. I have a feeling you may need to bring cg back even more once it gets airborne.

www.frcfoamies.com
    www.youtube.com/gstrysky

Airflow likes this.
  15. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

Thank you! for your interest in this matter Greg, I have chosen a fast elliptical airfoil and you're probably right, thickest in the middle. 50/50
    [​IMG]

So it may be that I have to move the center of gravity even further back in the aircraft.

BTW, maybe Maiden tomorrow evening, Central European Time.

F1wanabe likes this.
  16. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Excellent Airflow! Yes, I agree about the cg. You may need a smaller battery to achieve it since there is only so much room to move it back. Will the weather be OK tomorrow?

17. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

I have 3 small 1300mAh batteries so there are margins. :)

hmm ... the weather tomorrow evening, It seemed better two hours ago ... typical ...
    Gentle breeze, 4 m/s (meters per second) from northeast, and rain! according to the latest weather data..
    but we'll see?

18. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Airflow likes this.
  19. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

Thanks, The weather does not look so promising right now, starting to rain and I hear thunder approaching, almost windless ... New preliminary test flight tomorrow ... if our creator wants it to happen ...
    Good luck with your new V4 plane! now you may have had time to decide what to build first? I think I know what you have chosen... ;-)

20. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Haha, the su30, of course! And it may require a day off from work to build! Maybe a half day at least.

Airflow likes this.