FRCFOAMIES F/A-18 Hornet

Discussion in 'FRCFoamies Plans' started by Boxermad84, Mar 8, 2014.

1. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

According to Eric from Beacon, 3in 1 is almost like fabritac where it's thinner, takes longer to set and formulated for crafts in general, meaning paper and plastic. It will melt foam more than fabritac. I text Eric often with questions we receive about other beacon products that look and even smell like foam tac but are cheaper. This is the deal on foam tac : Foam tac costs more because it is a specific formulation for our foam (as opposed to Styrofoam for craft projects) whereas the stuff like 3 in one, fabritac and that other stuff I did a video on is a general formulation that is just tweaked for something like paper fabric or plastic. Eric is an rc foamie guy like us and He happens to work for beacon adhesives. People were using fabritac instead of hot glue and it had limitations. So beacon listened to what Eric and us rc guys were looking for and produced a specific formulation for depron and extruded polystyrene foam based on what the rc guys told them. For this reason the cost is higher. Not only because it works better but because it isn't an "off the shelf" product that has been tweaked. So, if you are thinking of using a foam glue rather than hot glue to save weight, have better bonding with the foam and no melting in the hot garage then foam tac is worth the extra cost!

www.frcfoamies.com
    www.youtube.com/gstrysky

ReDeYe, TomMonton and hwilton like this.
  2. Boxermad84

Boxermad84 Administrator

Just a few tips on the build of the f18. When you install the nacelles, don't glue down the centre. You can cut this part off easily to make electronics easier to install. The other part is to put carbon in the elevon section to stiffen this area up (ask gibby1117 why) [​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my galaxy note 3 using Tapatalk pro

gibby1117 and F1wanabe like this.
  3. ReDeYe

ReDeYe Cadet

Thank you Greg. I do love the foam tac. That is some useful information. I did see the other stuff that looked like foam tac. It was like zip tac or something like that. I will just keep buying my foam tac. Going to have to make an order soon.

4. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

That's right, zip tac! The stuff is in the same kind of bottle too. Here is my comparison in case you didn't see it...
    Zip dry vs. Foam Tac:

www.frcfoamies.com
    www.youtube.com/gstrysky

5. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

Update,

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

to be continued...

6. sgmoran

sgmoran Ace Pilot

Wow! Airflow you have taken this to an all new level. That is a beautiful airfoil. I look forward to your flight reports.

Airflow likes this.
  7. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

Yes sgmoran, because it's such a beautiful FRC aircraft, looks very scale, so I had to continue on that theme to give it smooth curves even on its top surface.

8. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

Update,
    [​IMG]
    to be continued...

9. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

UpDate,
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

to be continued...

10. TomMonton

TomMonton Administrator

Oh boy I guess so..I've been quietly watching this thread as well just to see where he's going with it.

Some very interesting twists to a foam build.

11. Boxermad84

Boxermad84 Administrator

I'm building a new one right now, getting the airbrush on it tomorrow. I've left the bottom open for fitting the electronics in. [​IMG][​IMG]

ASD, TomMonton and Airflow like this.
  12. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

UpDate,
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

to be continued...

13. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Wow Lars, you are making a real project out of it! Good luck!

Airflow likes this.
  14. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

Thanks Greg, It's a very nice jet you and your partner in GB have put together! I'm almost as fond of this aircraft as I am in my favorite, SU-Mk2. I've been thinking about putting a traditional AF on a foamie. This will be the first, I think it's well worth to try it out on this great FRC F-18. A Flat/traight wing is too poor for this FRC beauty. .. If it fails, it will be tomorrow's worries ...
    It is so easy to assemble, like the Su-Mk2! AND it will not take many nights to put together a new one. straight or with a KF2//4 etc. wing! You both have done a great job Greg!

Boxermad84 and F1wanabe like this.
  15. Boxermad84

Boxermad84 Administrator

Thanks lars! Got some airbrush time this morning, electronics next [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

F1wanabe and Airflow like this.
  16. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

Wow Jay, brilliant! Would be cool to learn how-to airbrush.

17. Boxermad84

Boxermad84 Administrator

Thanks!

18. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Airflow likes this.
  19. Boxermad84

Boxermad84 Administrator

Once you learn how to maintain the airbrush it's just practice, building up in layers. The blue angles looks great Greg!

TomMonton likes this.
  20. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

I just have the usual stuff for car painting, compressor has a reduction valve so ...