FRCFOAMIES F/A-18 Hornet

Discussion in 'Scratchbuilding!' started by Boxermad84, Mar 8, 2014.

1. Boxermad84

Boxermad84 Top Gun

FRCFOAMIES
    McDonnell Douglas F/A-18 Hornet

orange_buynow (1).png

So, Greg and i have been working on a new project for a while now. Well i actually started this in sketchup at the beginning of August 2013! We have both been throwing ideas back and forth trying to figure out how we could make the frcf f-18 different from the other amazing f18 parkjets already out there
    We decided a score and fold rear mount version would be the best idea so we could keep the sleek looks from nose to tail. We all so based it off the
    McDonnell Douglas F/A-18 Hornet with the rounded intakes and the different style of lerx. So far testing has been good, the very first maiden brought to light a few issues but a quick modification got those problems smoothed out. Ill be adding a KF4 to test it out in the wind and see how the stiffer wings perform, the the plans will be past to Greg to see if the mods that we changed are better than what we have already.
    The F-18 is one of my favorite planes so i just had to try and build one and try and keep the amazing looks of the f18 from score and fold. Watching it flyby up close, i think we are close! once all is how we like it, we will release the plans on www.frcfoamies.com

More info and specs will be added as we progress with the project.

20140219_164512.jpg 20140219_164525.jpg 20140219_164543.jpg 20140219_164623.jpg 20140219_164634.jpg 20140219_164706.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 3, 2015
  2. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Top Gun

One thing I did want to add is that the f18 is a plane that can be built scale, rear mount with no tv, and still gives performance similar to a plane with tv! The control surfaces are so effective! The plane is so sleek that it'll give good speed with a variety of power systems meaning that you will be able to choose from a wide performance envelope. For all you guys our there who love scale performance, this plane looks amazing in the air-you will love it!
    We chose this Naval version of the f18 after Jay and I saw it up close during the JettaManDan fly in last July when Jay came to the US to visit....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Stay tuned!

www.youtube.com/gstrysky
    www.frcfoamies.com

borg187, Newt, TomMonton and 2 others like this.
  3. Wsamoset

Wsamoset Ace Pilot

OOhhhhH:eek::eek::eek:! super slick guys!
    Im really glad you did the f-18 instead of the larger Super hornet:).
    Love the nacels, and well, everything else about it!
    And i see that you have control horns on the leading edge slates ;).

borg187 and F1wanabe like this.
  4. Boxermad84

Boxermad84 Top Gun

Thanks Walden! i like the shape of this version to, the leading edge slats may not come into use as it performed very well as is. i added them just in case, its heavy enough as is so don't want to add more weight.

Wsamoset and F1wanabe like this.
  5. JettaManDan

JettaManDan Top Gun

very cool...glad the trip gave you inspiration!

borg187, F1wanabe and Boxermad84 like this.
  6. vedo

vedo Cadet

Truly happy to see you guys did the F18! LOOKS REALLY GREAT!!!
    I love the fact that it is a rear mounted motor, I personally prefer this option much better. GREAT JOB GUYS!

Boxermad84 and F1wanabe like this.
  7. TomMonton

TomMonton Top Gun

I've not been one for a rear engine jet normally....but this one is just too cool.

Nicely done guys..the lines on this bird is gorgeous.

8. sgmoran

sgmoran Ace Pilot

This plane with a gimbal motor mount would be the park jet we all dream about.

9. sgmoran

sgmoran Ace Pilot

I like your logo control horns with dual holes. I couldn't find them on your website. Do you sell them anywhere?

10. Boxermad84

Boxermad84 Top Gun

Thanks guys, great responses! I will be ordering more of the control horns and motor mounts soon, I'll add them to the site when I get them.

Sent from my galaxy note 3 using Tapatalk pro

Wsamoset likes this.
  11. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Top Gun

Last edited: Mar 8, 2014
    TomMonton likes this.
  12. TomMonton

TomMonton Top Gun

13. BarryM

BarryM Ace Pilot

That is AWESOME, just when I thought I could sit back and relax for a while...........:cool:, oh well got to find some more space:)

F1wanabe likes this.
  14. gm3

gm3 Top Gun

this is what ive been waiting for, so happy you guys are doing this one. the origional hornet always looked better than the superhornet to me.:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:):):):):):).

F1wanabe and Wsamoset like this.
  15. sgmoran

sgmoran Ace Pilot

My fighter squadron has turned into a wing! I like the accuracy of the Grayson laser cut horns and moter mounts. They seem to have the market, your guy sell online? Cheaper?
    BTW, I got out the GPDH, but not was not happy with the quality. I'm going to make a foam/Popsicle mout on an old hat for my iPhone.

16. Newt

Newt Ace Pilot

Love the smooth lines of the rear mount. The way you tucked the motor in just makes it so sleek.
    Great job guys!

17. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Top Gun

Stephan, can you reduce the angle on your gp? Some of them allowed a smaller angle. My Sony is at 120 degrees and that's the maximum, I think. You will really look dorkey with an iPhone on your head! Ask me how I know... Haha.
    I have a belt clip for my phone and I can put a baseball cap on backwards the clip the phone to the strap on the cap.

www.youtube.com/gstrysky
    www.frcfoamies.com

18. Boxermad84

Boxermad84 Top Gun

Thanks Mark, that's the idea with this one. Keep it sleek!

F1wanabe likes this.
  19. Boxermad84

Boxermad84 Top Gun

I agree! I do like both variants but this is sleek!

F1wanabe likes this.
  20. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

No one can guess what Motor I will mount in the butt on this aircraft ( He,He!! ;-D ) If Greg and Jay decides to launch it .... Remember the FRC F-22 ;-)

salted2006705, Wsamoset and F1wanabe like this.