FRCFOAMIES F-15 MK2

Discussion in 'FRCFoamies Plans' started by Boxermad84, Jun 18, 2013.

1. e3_Scott

e3_Scott Top Gun

I just measured, one stabilizer is slightly larger, the leading edge is about 0.5 cm longer. Per your directions in a recent post, I will use the larger size. Thanks.

Cheers,

Scott

2. e3_Scott

e3_Scott Top Gun

Hi everyone -

Parts are all cut out for my FRC F15 MK2, total weight of the raw foam including Kf4 airfoils is 189 grams/6.7 oz. All ready for glue and gear:)

2014-01-27 17.49.08.jpg

My plan is to use the NTM Prop Drive 2700 motor with a 6x4 prop, 60A ESC, 2200 battery. I will be setting it up with six servos for elevons, ailerons and rudders.

Weather forecast looks like more building will be done over the next few days than flying, so hope to have it finished up on the weekend, still need to find one paint color for my planned paint scheme.

More to follow.

Cheers,

Scott

Airflow, FatherAndSons and F1wanabe like this.
  3. Boxermad84

Boxermad84 Administrator

Great, hope you like the changes over the original design, Scott! My elevons have broken a few times on mine now, so I've just replaced them with new ones and moved them up to wing level to see how it performs. Be careful on landing you don't give to much up elevator.
    [​IMG]

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Airflow likes this.
  4. e3_Scott

e3_Scott Top Gun

Thanks, Jay, I have already made that mod, that is the way I build my F15 MK1s as well, the build process has started now, but the weather has been good for flying, so no surprise I have been at the field:) I hope to pick up the one color of paint I need for my paint scheme today and today's weather looks more like building than flying weather. Will post pics when complete.

Cheers,

Scott

5. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

Wow Scott, you always have something going on, lots of flights on a single day! while you always have something going on in your planeshop. Looking forward to your F15 Maiden! :)

6. e3_Scott

e3_Scott Top Gun

Thanks Airflow, I am always keeping a close eye on the weather and have my lipos charged and ready to go, so even if it means just getting out for an hour, I will go fly:cool:

I did manage to find the last color of paint I needed for my planned paint scheme, so nothing holding me back on the build now but time! I hope to have her flying by this time next week:)

Cheers,

Scott

7. e3_Scott

e3_Scott Top Gun

Hi everyone -

Just wanted to post a quick picture showing a couple extra reinforcements I put in my F15 MK2 to help it stand up to the speed and punishment I will be handing out with the NTM Prop Drive 2700 motor:cool:

2014-01-29 15.55.43.jpg

My wing spar is 4mm carbon rod, I know this is a little heavier than 3mm carbon tube that is popular in most foamie parkjets, but in recent builds I have been finding the extra weight is well worth the additional strength and stiffness it gives my wings.

The rest is all 3mm carbon tube in the elevons and vertical stabilizers as well as a piece across the back deck behind the prop slot to give a little extra strength there.

Hinges on the elevons and ailerons are Foam Tac and fibreglass mesh drywall tape. Build is progressing well, hope to have it in the air by early next week.:)

Cheers,

Scott

Staller and Airflow like this.
  8. e3_Scott

e3_Scott Top Gun

Hi everyone -

Been awhile since I did any work on my F15, been too busy flying :), but mother nature has other ideas for the next few days, so I hope to get the rest of it finished if I can. The airframe is together (vertical stabs are just dry fitted for now for the picture) and all bevelling and sanding has been done, just need to install the motor, ESC, servos and the other electronics and then paint. I am estimating with the NTM Prop Drive 2700 setup and a 2200 3S battery that my AUW will be in the neighborhood of 25 oz. I included a picture of the bottom of the plane as I will be installing/recessing the ESC in the bottom to make more room in the narrow electronics bay up top.

More to follow when it is completed and ready for maiden. :)

Cheers,

Scott

Attached Files:

9. s7oneyuk

s7oneyuk Airman

Nice job so far Scott. This one is in the build q for me too (behind a half finished mosquito and the alpha jet mk2) so will be looking forward to your detailed analysis as per all your builds. Love the detail that you put into all your write ups and I can't wait to see the paint scheme you have planned!

Hope the maiden goes well.

Paul.

e3_Scott likes this.
  10. e3_Scott

e3_Scott Top Gun

Thanks, Paul, I do have what I hope will be a pretty cool paint job planned, it won't be exactly the scale colors of the scheme I found, but fairly close with hopefully enough contrast that I can keep track of the plane in the sky! Hope to have things finished up for maiden later this week or the weekend.

Thanks again for your kind words...:)

Cheers,

Scott

s7oneyuk likes this.
  11. Boxermad84

Boxermad84 Administrator

Im interested to see your paint scheme Scott, going by your past planes this should look awesome! What do you think so far?

gibby1117 likes this.
  12. e3_Scott

e3_Scott Top Gun

Thanks Jay -

The build was good, I found that the nose took a bit more time to get formed together just right than other designs like the Su37 MK1 and MK2s, I found the three pieces on the bottom section that help form the bottom part of the nose could have been a bit larger to get the shape just right, but I was able to get it to look the way I wanted afterwards with my knife and sandpaper.

I do appreciate the sleeker more scale look of the F15 MK2 over the F15 MK1. I have made a few of my own tweaks that I will probably speak about in a walkaround video when it is all complete.

Overall, very good design. Haven't even started the paint yet, been too busy flying or taking care of other things, but I hope by the end of this week at the latest.

Cheers,

Scott

s7oneyuk, gibby1117 and Newt like this.
  13. e3_Scott

e3_Scott Top Gun

Hi everyone -

I finally got the finishing touches put on my FRC Foamies F15 MK2:) My paint scheme is inspired by/loosely based on a paint scheme I found of the Israeli Air Force (IAF) version of the F15E, the F15I Ra'am (Thunder). My camo scheme is not quite as muted as the real thing, but that is a bit better for me to help my poor old eyes keep track of it in the sky! I left most of the bottom unpainted for contrast and to save a little bit of weight.

2014-02-18 09.01.43.jpg

Here is my "Weapons Officer" eagerly awaiting the maiden flight!:cool: He always tries to get in the pictures when I take pictures of my planes!

2014-02-18 09.04.19.jpg

My build -

• 6mm depron for the airframe with 4mm paperless dollar store foam making up the Kf4 airfoils. Construction primarily with Foam Tac, with a few dabs of hot glue, epoxy, Gorilla Glue and 3M Super 77 spray adhesive where needed. Elevon and aileron hinges made with Foam Tac and fibreglass mesh drywall tape, rudder hinges made just with Foam Tac;
    • Power setup is the NTM Prop Drive 2700 Kv motor with a 6x4 APC prop, Turnigy Plush 60A ESC, 2200 3S battery (I will also occasionally run it on 4S for fun:D);
    • control setup is elevons, ailerons and rudders with a 6ch receiver compatible with my Turnigy er9x setup, rudders are connected with a Y harness, all other servos have their own channel. Using 9gr metal gear servos for the elevons and 9gr nylon gear servos (sorry metal gear servo gods...:rolleyes:) for the rudders and ailerons. Ailerons are mechanically reduced by 50% through positioning the pushrod halfway down the servo arm;
    • all leading edges are bevelled and sanded as well as a thorough sanding of the nose, intakes, etc for shaping and aerodynamic sleekness, paint is acrylic craft paint from the dollar store/Walmart/craft store; and
    • AUW with a 2200 Mah battery is 725 gr/25.6 oz.
    Having already build two versions of the FRC F15 MK1, this build was fairly similar although more scale and sleek looking in my humble opinion which is what FRC was shooting for I remember reading when this plane was first released.

A few mods I made to the build -
    • as I did on the F15 MK1 and as Jay recommended in a previous post, I installed the elevons on the wing plate rather than lower. It might not look quite as scale, but this saves a piece of foam that would have been in the prop wash, gives a little more clearance for the elevons on landing and makes (for me anyway) positioning of the elevon servos much easier;
    • I extended the prop slot back about 5/8" to 3/4" and then bevelled it to help with smoother airflow;
    • I went with one 4mm carbon spar in the wing and did not use the other two spars that parallel the leading edge in the plans;
    • I reinforced my elevons and vertical stabs with some 3mm carbon tube as they will get a lot of punishment in the prop wash from the NTM Prop Drive. I also put a bit of reinforcement in the back deck behind the prop slot with a section of 3mm carbon tube to help prevent flex in the back end;
    • I cut some small triangular vents behind the canopy and on the back of the electronics bay door to encourage airflow through the electronics bay. As such and because I ended up with my battery so far forward, I did not install the "middle fuse support" piece from the plans;
    • I put my ESC on the bottom of the plane, I cut a hole and recessed it into the fuse as much as I could, it will get great cooling there and hopefully will not cause any interruption of airflow to the prop. I secured it with a zip tie and as you might see in the picture of the electronics bay, I stole an idea I saw once on Flitetest and glued in a little piece of popsicle stick so that the zip tie wouldn't cut up the foam too bad...works great!:);
    • Since with the way I built I ended up with considerable weight behind the CofG, I had to put my battery very far forward and I wouldn't be able to get at it through the electronics bay, so I ended up cutting the canopy off:oops:, but now as you can see in the picture, my battery is easily accessible and where it is now gives me good balance on the stock CofG. I will do more tweaking on this after I start flying it. It also makes it easier for me to mess around with the battery as with my big "sausage fingers", moving stuff around in the narrow electronics bay is a bit difficult...:rolleyes: Canopy is secured with a couple magnets; and
    • on the plan, there is a section of Kf2 airfoil that continues back to the prop slot along the fuselage, I cut this off and just went with the airfoil on the wing and along the top of the nacelle/intake, I also did not use the "upper engine nacelle" piece from the plans.
    Overall I am very impressed with this plane and it's looks, very sleek, much more scale than the MK1 and it looks fast just sitting on the work table! I will probably do a walkaround video in the next day or two since the forecast does not look great where I will discuss my build in more detail.

Maiden will happen when the weather gods allow!

Cheers,

Scott

Attached Files:

Dave748, s7oneyuk, Airflow and 2 others like this.
  14. gibby1117

gibby1117 Ace Pilot

That's one seriously good looking build there, Scott!!

15. e3_Scott

e3_Scott Top Gun

Hey, thanks Gibby!:)

Cheers,

Scott

16. tomernassi

tomernassi Rookie

Wow! Great work Scott! Im a soldier at the IAF and its really nice to see that finally someone painted a plane in the IAF scheme here :) Go Thunders!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

17. e3_Scott

e3_Scott Top Gun

Thank you for the kind words, Tomernassi:) I hope that I did the paint scheme some justice anyway, I know it is not exact, but when I saw the pictures of it when I was searching for F15 paint schemes, I knew it had to be the one I went with.:cool: I served in the Canadian Air Force for 29+ years and have been a fan of jet fighters from all over the world since I was about 3 yrs old:)...which now is almost 50 yrs ago...:rolleyes:

I had the privilege to visit and travel through your beautiful country in September of 1994 when I was visiting my now ex-wife when she was doing UN duties in the Golan Heights. I had an amazing time and got to see some once in a lifetime scenery and historic places and swam in the Med, the Red and the Dead Seas:) I remember well hearing, but never seeing F15s fly overhead on occasion while there, the camouflage your Air Force used was the best for the desert skies for sure. We also got a couple of nice airshows while driving down the highway in the Negev Desert on our way to Eilat. We had a white Toyota Land Cruiser with UN written on the roof in huge black letters, so very easy to see, so we made a great target of opportunity to be buzzed by one formation of A4 Skyhawks and then another formation of F4 Phantoms...AWESOME!

Perhaps you can help me since I am not fluent in Hebrew, I put these two patches one on each intake that I found when I was doing my research. I assumed (hopefully correctly) that this first one was an Israeli Air Force patch for the F15I?

54e8_35.JPG

This second one I found for 69 Sqn "The Hammers" who as you know fly the F15I, so I hope I have represented them and the Israeli Air Force well with putting these patches on my plane.

1100200436204040_0.jpg
    They might not show up in the other pictures that well, I put the F15I patch on the left intake and the "Hammers" patch on the right intake in tribute.

2014-02-19 08.48.18.jpg

2014-02-19 08.48.00.jpg

Thanks again for the kind words, I hope to unleash the "Thunder" in the next day or two if weather permits!:cool:

Cheers,

Scott

tomernassi likes this.
  18. tomernassi

tomernassi Rookie

Hello Scott!

I really Glad that you like my country :)
    Thank you for sharing with me your great story about your visit in israel and if you going to visit israel again we have to go fly togheter!
    the first patch is not the IAF patch for the F15I "Thunder" is the patch for the 69 Sqn F15I, in the blue circle you can see the word "(Patishim)??????" Thats means "The Hammers" the name if the 69 Sqn.
    The Second patch is an old patch of the 69 sqn.
    They are both looks amazing on your F-15 ;)
    you inspire me to build one too :)

Thanks
    Tomer Nassi :)

gibby1117, Dave748 and e3_Scott like this.
  19. e3_Scott

e3_Scott Top Gun

Tomer -

Thanks so much for the info, that is awesome, now I know what those patches represent and I will be even more proud as I fly my FRC F15I "Thunder". I hope to do a build/walkaround video in the next day or two to discuss the build steps in general and some mods and techniques I used on the build.

Would be great if you built one and painted it to look like the real thing and then get a picture of you beside the real one holding your model, very cool...:cool:

Thanks again for your response and all the great information!

Cheers,

Scott

tomernassi likes this.
  20. Dave748

Dave748 Ace Pilot

Scott,
    A great tribute to the IAF! I'm looking forward to the walk around video. Nice work!

Dave

tomernassi and e3_Scott like this.