FRCFOAMIES F-15 MK2

Discussion in 'FRCFoamies Plans' started by Boxermad84, Jun 18, 2013.

1. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Plans are now available! Download it Here:
    http://frcfoamies.com/F-15_MK2.php

This is the quickest we ever went from plan to plane and that's because Jay and I built this plane together when he visited the US last month. What a great experience! We cut, build, test and unveiled it together at the JettaManDan's fly in.
    If you've seen the videos of this plane you may have noticed that not only does it look good, but it flies great! As Jay said in his intro, the MK2 treatment was meant to do just this. The redesign has also made this plane weight and power friendly, so load it up with servos and motor and go to town! The FRCFoamies F15 MK1 was a hit on Parkjets.com, and we hope that the MK2 will knock the SU37 MK2 off the top spot! We hope you enjoy.

2. Boxermad84

Boxermad84 Administrator

ASD likes this.
  3. JettaManDan

JettaManDan Administrator

I'm not here to endorse these guys..nope..not doing it ;)...BUT..

Having witnessed this plane in person and flying it myself...i have a few thoughts....

it looks AMAZING...i don't think i have seen a flat foam F-15 that looks as good as this...it is the real deal...these guys did an amazing job on it....it is also a tough bird...they had a crash or 2 (result of pilot error...not plane issues) and this thing held up amazing...the construction is well thought out and with the pilot in mind...it's performance envslope was teriffic....it will fly slow or fast.....i would not call it a "floater" per se..it is really a high performance parket....very deliberate on the controls....i watched Jay throw this in the air with no airspeed and just punch it from 2 feet up and have it rocket away....i was impressed...it you want a very scale looking and great flying F-15..I really think these guys set the Bar very high....and i don't give praise like this if it wasn't deserved! lol ....

nice job gys! And thanks for debuting it at my little GTG!

Dan

MKaiser, F1wanabe and Boxermad84 like this.
  4. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Thanks for the great review, Dan. Actually, I didn't even fly it at the fly in! Only you and Jay! Good thing too - the paint doesn't have enough contrast for me! (see a10 footage). It really tames the ntm prop drive 2700. Torque roll is non existent and the rudder authority lets you fly in all types of wind! We put this together in one day, but 2 more hours of detailing would make it look even better.

dsoleil likes this.
  5. Boxermad84

Boxermad84 Administrator

Airflow likes this.
  6. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

...Just got to get passed the wife first! ;) BTW Can I build it with just one sheet Jay?

7. Boxermad84

Boxermad84 Administrator

8. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

Thanks Jay! well, I need to visit the hardware store to get more foam for the autumn builds anyway ...

Boxermad84 likes this.
  9. fishwhisperer83

fishwhisperer83 Ace Pilot

great looking plane guys, looks so scale in the air and on the ground. hoping to build one maybe in the next few weeks before school starts. i have a ntm prop drive 2700 and a 2826 2700kv motor an im wondering what motor you used on yours. its sounds like a prop drive but i couldnt tell. also, did you use ailerons on this or just rudders and elevons. in the pictures the ailerons looked cut out but i didnt see them moving in the video or see any servos attached to them.

10. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Thanks fishwhisperer, this is one good looking plane in the air, as you said. Dan got some great dslr pictures of it at the fly in.
    We have the linked ailerons and elevons on this and it works really well. The real magic is the rudders. They are so responsive. We do have the ntm prop drive 2700 on this. It'll cone in around 26 oz with 1800 battery and paint, so the 2826 would be a little lacking. Either the ntm, smjv2 or zoom 450 would be good for this. Keep us up to date on the build!

11. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Here's a remix of Jay's flight...

12. fishwhisperer83

Almost have all the pieces cut out. Just the wings left. Im going to switch my foam supply to mpf because the dollar tree foam is just to much of a hassle to work with for me. It looks to be pretty simple to build. Is there a specific order of what parts to build first. I can get it together but any tips would be greatly appreciated

13. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

I do main wing, cf tubes/rods, hinge the control surfaces, backbone, install nacelles, install nose and fuselage braces. Install bottom of fuselage /nose, top of fuselage/nose then stabilizers last! We only have a couple pictures since we were moving so fast!

14. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

15. Boxermad84

Boxermad84 Administrator

F1wanabe likes this.
  16. fishwhisperer83

Ok thanks guys. I should have it built tomorrow if all goes well

F1wanabe likes this.
  17. Boxermad84

Boxermad84 Administrator

18. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

19. JettaManDan

JettaManDan Administrator

here are a few high res pics of this awesome plane..

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. Boxermad84

Boxermad84 Administrator