FRCFOAMIES F-15 MK2

Discussion in 'FRCFoamies Plans' started by Boxermad84, Jun 18, 2013.

1. Boxermad84

Boxermad84 Administrator

2. schome1

schome1 Airman

I was just reading up on the F-15 variants and came across this one.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/F-15SE_Silent_Eagle

I like the slanted stabilizers. Is that something that would be easy enough to implement in the mk2 - or something you would consider adding to the mk2 plans.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

laveuglette likes this.
  3. e3_Scott

e3_Scott Top Gun

Just spitballin' a bit here, but it would be a mod that you could probably make yourself, I think if you cut the hole that the vertical stab is supposed to go down into a little bigger and then put a small piece of foam on the inside of the bottom fuselage to push that bottom tab inwards more, it should make the vertical stab angle out somewhat. The larger slot will allow the vert stab to angle without putting too much extra stress on the tab that goes into it. It doesn't look like too drastic an angle when I look at the picture in the link above. The vert stabs are a bit different shaped too, but I'm sure if you find a good 3 view picture of the Silent Eagle you could fabricate something very close to it.

I'm not sure if I'm explaining it well enough, but I think that would be a good start after looking at my F15 MK1. Just my $.02 worth.

Cheers,

Scott

Boxermad84 likes this.
  4. satt01

satt01 Cadet

This dude build wickage models

Wsamoset likes this.
  5. satt01

satt01 Cadet

when you get done with that f-22 or in your spare time...make one of these.
    Im light years away from how that guy built it.lol
    It can work for mid mount pushers....

Attached Files:

6. Boxermad84

Boxermad84 Administrator

That will be a easy mod for you to do. Scott had a good idea to use a piece of depron under the tab yo kick the stabilisers out.

www.frcfoamies.com

www.facebook.com/frcfoamies

www.youtube.com/jayrothwell

7. Boxermad84

Boxermad84 Administrator

8. Airforce101

Airforce101 Top Gun

Hi Jay and Greg,

I do not mean to push you in any way, but what's the ETA on the F15 Mk2? My F22V2 is (finally) beyond repair after it crashed hard when one elevator servo came off in mid-air, so I'm plane-less at the moment! :eek:

I've had my eyes on the F15 (Mk1) for quite some time now, but wanted to learn how to fly first before building something new. Now, that moment has come...

9. e3_Scott

e3_Scott Top Gun

Airforce 101 -

I would recommend giving the FRC Foamies F15 a try while you are waiting if you need a plane to fly right away and are looking for something that will take you to the next level in building and flying. I built one at 100% with elevons only and have flown it with both the NTM Prop Drive 2700 and the SMJV2. I used Kf4 airfoils and some extra reinforcement over the plans as I originally built it for pure speed and got it up into the high 80 mph!

With the KF4 airfoils, it flies like it is on rails yet is amazingly nimble, responsive and durable. It is smaller than the F22 V2 and with the swept wing you will find even with the exact same power system you used in your F22 you will automatically get much more speed which will make it seem more agile and aerobatic right away.

It is a fairly straight forward build and easy to setup. All your electronics fit up top and in addition to the removable canopy for easy access to your battery, you can also make a hatch in the back part of the fuselage to make access easier to everything.

If you decide to use Kf airfoils, there are not templates in the plans, I measured at the wing root and the wing tip and took 40% of those measurements to make my Kf airfoil (I just started with the Kf2 and then used that as my template for the bottom airfoil). That measurement seemed to work great, I had not elevon flutter or speed wobble even at the amazingly high speeds I was getting with the NTM Prop Drive.

The great thing about the size of the F15 MK1 is that it will handle power systems right from the D2826/6 2200 from HK (or equivalent) up to the NTM Prop Drive with no problem (as long as you don't build too heavy with the smaller motor).

Anyway, just my humble opinion, but I think you would have a lot of fun with the F15 MK1 while you are waiting for the MK2.

Cheers,

Scott

Airforce101 likes this.
  10. Airforce101

Airforce101 Top Gun

Hi Scott,

thanks for that! I'll take these tips into account when building my new F15. I have the NTM 2700 so that should make it a fast plane (I hope not too fast for my flying skills, but I can always throttle down a bit).

I might just do that: build the Mk1 while waiting for the Mk2, but *IF* the Mk2 is only 2 days away from being released (which might very well not be the case, when is this fly-in due?), then I'd wait for the Mk2 because it's said to be an improvement over the Mk1.

11. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Airforce, the f15 mk1 is such a quick build you would not be wasting your time building it! Jay and I will be building the prototype in 12 days (on July 18) and if anything needs to be adjusted then it'll be on the fly until Jay can get it adjusted in sketch up. So, it still may be 3 or 4 weeks? Like Scott says, the mk1 is still spectacular, the mk2 is more polished.

youtube/gstrysky
    frcfoamies

Airforce101 likes this.
  12. Airforce101

Airforce101 Top Gun

Thanks for that, I had a feeling it would be 'a while'. No worries though: it will give me the opportunity to compare the two when I build Mk1 now and Mk2 in a few weeks although I have to admit I like to build a plane only once, and then move on to something else. So I'm not sure I'll get to building the Mk2. Maybe I'll be back for the Mk3? :D

13. e3_Scott

e3_Scott Top Gun

Is the NTM 2700 the only motor you have? If you have something in the HK D2826/6 range (2200 Kv), then you have lots of options, the FRC F35 600 is also an amazing little plane, very tough and durable, I have over 130 flights on mine and it is still holding up very well. It is an even quicker build than the F15 MK1 and just an amazing all round flier. You can have it built and flying pretty much in a day if you don't get too crazy on your paint job and just go with elevons only.

Again, just my humble opinion.

Cheers,

Scott

14. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

Which aircraft will hit the market first, FRC F-15 or FRC F-22 ?

15. Airforce101

Airforce101 Top Gun

Nope, all I have at the moment is the NTM 2700kV

Airflow likes this.
  16. Airforce101

Airforce101 Top Gun

Oh and: I'm a sucker for the F15, it's a COOL plane! :cool:

17. Maestro

Maestro Ace Pilot

He airforce,

If you take the hour and a half drive you can have mine.

Gotta make some room...

Airforce101 likes this.
  18. e3_Scott

e3_Scott Top Gun

OK, if you decide to build it with the NTM Prop Drive, I posted some info on tweaking the motor thrust angle to get best performance when I was doing my speed testing. The wing and fuselage create a lot of natural lift and with the thrust the NTM puts out, if you don't compensate a little bit by tilting the motor down, it will want to "zoom" on you all the time...:(

http://www.rcpowers.com/community/threads/boxermad84s-f-15-not-profile.13215/

Here is the video I shot doing some serious speed runs with it...:)

Cheers,

Scott

Airforce101 likes this.
  19. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

It should be close, but my guess is the f15 mk2. My mid mount is a pure prototype since Jay designed it as a rear mount first. It won't take long for him to mod, but that still needs to be done, especially the lower fuselage which needs to be widened for the prop clearance. If the f15 mk2 goes without hiccups it should be easy (easy for Jay! ) to button up the plans and I can get documentation done.

youtube/gstrysky
    frcfoamies

20. Airforce101

Airforce101 Top Gun

Thanks Scott, I read all the way through the F15Mk1 thread already, and took notice of your post and the rivets you used to tilt the motor.

One thing I forgot though: your Kf4, is that 6mm top and bottom or 3mm top and bottom?