FRCFOAMIES F-15 MK2

Discussion in 'FRCFoamies Plans' started by Boxermad84, Jun 18, 2013.

1. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

Yes very nice jimbosflyin! maybe I should build one this summer.

bogusbandit56 likes this.
  2. andy_downs

andy_downs Ace Pilot

i want to build it,ive got the planes but i better finish the SU first,it used to be my fav plane untill i got into SUs. so many planes.so little time.nice planes jimbosflyin.

bogusbandit56 and F1wanabe like this.
  3. I love your planes! :rolleyes:
    Nice paint jobs on all - they look so good!

bogusbandit56 likes this.
  4. jimbosflyin

jimbosflyin Top Gun

I have 24 in flying condition,a lot of time on my hands,so i take the time to print and cut out decals.

malukk likes this.
  5. jimbosflyin

jimbosflyin Top Gun

I've been following you,I thought you would already have one.

6. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

I shudder to think of what power plant would end up in there Lars.;)

7. BarryM

BarryM Ace Pilot

Hi Jimbo, I'm busy building a F15 Mk2 at the moment, It's going to have a 2826 2200kv with a 6x4 APC prop, to balance it on the CG point it looks like I will have a 2200mah battery pushed right up under the canopy to the front fuse support (I've removed the middle one) and still going to need about 15g of useless lead in the nose...what is your configuration like?

8. e3_Scott

e3_Scott Top Gun

Hi Barry -

I don't know if this would be helpful to you, I built my F-15 with the NTM Prop Drive motor and placed it per the plans. To get it to balance on the CG, I ended up carefully trimming the canopy off and then securing it with small magnets so I could use that forward part as my battery bay. This allowed me to get the battery (2200 3s) far enough forward to balance it without trying to jam it under the canopy from the main electronics bay. In this picture, this is where my battery ended up to balance properly. With a lighter motor you might not need to go quite as far forward.

2014-02-18 09.05.14.jpg

I had this plane up to close to 100 mph on several occasions using 4S batteries with the NTM motor and never had a problem with the canopy coming off. The magnets coupled with the airflow pressure seemed to hold it there really well. I know it isn't ideal to take the knife to your plane after it is finished, but it might save you the 15 grams in extra weight. In this picture it is hard to tell that I had to cut the canopy off, I just used a nice sharp knife and then touched the paint up afterwards. Once it is up in the air, nobody but you will know... :)

2014-02-18 09.03.42.jpg

Good luck:)

Cheers,

Scott

F1wanabe and bogusbandit56 like this.
  9. jimbosflyin

jimbosflyin Top Gun

here's my results with the 2826 motor and 2200 battery, 014.JPG 013.JPG

F1wanabe and bogusbandit56 like this.
  10. BarryM

BarryM Ace Pilot

Than
    Thanks for the info Scott, I seem to always build my planes tail heavy for some reason...I built a battery box and epoxied it under the canopy as far forward as I could get it (don't want to cut off the canopy unless I have to). The battery fits nicely with a bit of velcro at the back, only need a couple of grams extra in the nose....
    22 Battery box small.JPG

27 battery position small.JPG

I will post more stuff later, hopefully a maiden flight in the morning, weather permitting..

F1wanabe, e3_Scott and bogusbandit56 like this.
  11. BarryM

BarryM Ace Pilot

H
    Hmmmm, my battery further fwd than yours, how many servos have you got behind the cg

F1wanabe likes this.
  12. jimbosflyin

jimbosflyin Top Gun

I'm only running elevovon servo's placed on cg mark and rudder servo's,I didn't use elerons on this one,I did"nt glue my canopy on antisapateing the battery position.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2015
  13. BarryM

BarryM Ace Pilot

Should have done a bit more reading on balancing before I glued the canopy..used epoxy....I'm only using two elevon servo's about in line with the motor, will I ever learn....:confused:

F1wanabe likes this.
  14. jimbosflyin

jimbosflyin Top Gun

this is how we learn,see how see fly's and with easy alterations like moveing the elevon sevro's foward, and filling the old cut outs

F1wanabe and BarryM like this.
  15. e3_Scott

e3_Scott Top Gun

Sure thing, Barry, looking at your pictures you could also make some extension wires maybe and move your ESC further forward. If you tried that, it might put the ESC in the way of getting the battery in and out, but if you put velcro on the ESC, you can move it out of the way when putting the battery in and out and then velcro it back into position before flying. If you can move the ESC forward a bit, it might help alleviate the need to put more dead weight up front. Just food for thought.

Good luck with the maiden :)

Cheers,

Scott

BarryM likes this.
  16. BarryM

BarryM Ace Pilot

Thank you for your help gentlemen, just finished, ran the motor with the prop fitted, wants to lift vertically easily, think there's gonna be enough power to fly hopefully in the morning if the wind dies down a little....:)

17. BarryM

BarryM Ace Pilot

Let me see........what to build next, the A10 was a real challenge, time to look at some pics and find something...this caught my eye, I'm a sucker for red/white/blue color schemes for two reasons..they look good and it's easier for my tired old eyes to lock onto them:)
    F15 landing small.jpg
    Had the F15 Mk II plans since FRC released them but never got around to building one, time to change that..:D
    I have lots of build pics but I wont bore you with those, the F15 went together without a hitch and finishing it was a real pleasure, just a couple of hiccups at the end with the balancing which eas resolved yesterday with help from Jimbo & Scott-E3.;)
    24 Front top view complete small.JPG
    23 Rear top view complete small.JPG
    25 Side view complete small.JPG
    Saturday 6-30am, crisp cool morning blue skies with only a slight breeze...perfect, loosened the fingers up with the Mig & the SU30...ready....this is when things didn't go exactly to plan as seen in the following very short video clip :confused:
    I think what happened was, it launched perfectly straight but could have done with a little more up elevator, I grabbed for the stick and must have moved the aileron to the left, the F15 obeyed and
    the rest is history. Clean break on the nose, damaged left air intake and left wing..once repaired I'll get someone else to launch it for me...:(
    28 Maiden crash small.JPG
    And here's a really short video...

18. Wow, love the detailed job on that plane! Very nice :)

BarryM likes this.
  19. jimbosflyin

jimbosflyin Top Gun

love it when a plan comes together,great job,I launch mine from the side so i don' have to worry about the prop or vertacle stabalizers hitting my hand and alowes my hand to get to the controles quicker

Last edited: Apr 20, 2015
    bogusbandit56 and BarryM like this.
  20. BarryM

BarryM Ace Pilot

I used to launch the F35 & SU37 that way but since then I've gotten so used to holding them on the top I even the F35 like that as well, always had a phobia about side launching but as far as I remember never had a failure with it, maybe time to re visit it.
    Have you or do you know of anyone who has used a say 7 x 5 prop on the F15, watching my vid the plane drops considerably after launch, my SU30 used to do that with a 6 x 4 I had a 7 x 5 lying around and tried it...problem solved...more torque at the lower end I think?