FRCFOAMIES F-15 MK2

Discussion in 'FRCFoamies Plans' started by Boxermad84, Jun 18, 2013.

1. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

Yes, replace the nose Grandman. It's just a scratch! I do it regularly! ;-)

RobDavis likes this.
  2. mhall2003207

mhall2003207 Cadet

Grantman,

This looks awesome. What kind of adhesive did you use? I apologize in advance if this has been covered previously.

Mike

F1wanabe likes this.
  3. Grantman

Grantman Top Gun

Mostly 'Elmers Advanced PU', a low-foam variety of Gorilla glue. Epoxy for anything not foam (magnets, bamboo, motor mount......) and hot glue for servo mounting and wiring.

4. mhall2003207

mhall2003207 Cadet

Have you ever tried to sand the Elmers Advanced glue? Is it sandable or does it just gum up?

5. Grantman

Grantman Top Gun

It sands ok, tho the foam sands way faster. I found myself creating glue high spots if I wasn't careful, less so if a hard block was used versus a sanding sponge.

6. mytymedave

mytymedave Airman

Where are the pics?

RobDavis likes this.
  7. whidzee

whidzee Rookie

Hey guys, I am building this plane and so far most of the build has gone super smoothly. I am at the stage where i am starting to think about electronics. my question is in relation to the location of the electronics in the plane. I cant find any info that gives the best location for stuff. it seems many people cut a hatch in the back to house most of the electronics, but with the battery further up front under the canopy.

is this indeed the best way?

Also how should I route my servo wires into the fueslage. I plan on having elevators and ailerons.
    I was thinking of pushing the wires in through the back next to the motor, but the gap around the motor mount just isn't big enough. How did you route your wires? should I cut in the hatch in the back and then just poke some holes through the sides of the fuselage and then into the nacelles so i can get the wires that way? I could cut some more of the motor mount away so i can fit the wires next to it, but i'm fearful that this will weaken the motor mount.

Also do you have any other tips? I am thinking about attaching my motor to the motor mount before glueing it into the plane as i think the screws will be hard to reach once it's installed. What do you think?

This is a 96% sized plane, as the printer i used scaled it down a little bit

Attached Files:

8. ReDeYe

ReDeYe Cadet

Well had a little mishap. So i was working on some things in the basement and had to move my plane. I placed it on top of my trashcan. When i came down the next morning i found this. I had some old insulation supports in my rafters that must have been slowly working there way to falling out. My kid likes to jump around alot. They fell right on to my plane. It looks worse than what it is.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

bogusbandit56 and Wsamoset like this.
  9. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Oops! Reminds me of my last acupuncture visit, haha. Good thing it's the f15. If an f15 can fly like this,
    [​IMG]
    a few puncture wounds won't harm it!

bogusbandit56, Newt and ASD like this.
  10. TomMonton

TomMonton Administrator

Ouch... there's been a few times when I've wanted to beat my kids too.

lol

It looks easy enough to patch up but it's always heart breaking after all that work.

11. shadeyB

shadeyB Cadet

The FRCFoamies F-15
    "Big Red"
    this is by far my Favourite FRC scratchbuild :) its an awesome plane running on all control surfaces
    NTM 2700Kv prop drive
    6x4 APC
    60Amp ESC (Red Brick)
    4s 2200mah
    Turnigy 9x Rx/Tx

dont hink i fly it that good :) i cant help but just smile at it in the Air :)

Attached Files:

malukk and Airflow like this.
  12. shadeyB

shadeyB Cadet

Whidzee :) i'm guessing by now you have built this bird :p
    i've posted couple pics above that may help you if you haven't yet

13. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

That looks like a modern art masterpiece:)

14. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

Stupidity got the better of me today, when even the smaller birds were walking I took my FRC F15 for it`s maiden flight. Was I worried it was to windy? You bet your bottom!. I have got the 2x4 set up elevons ailerons. With the wind nearly taking my cap off I launched the poor sod whilst clenching my bottom. I could here the words of my sage friend Paul in my head"Ian do you really think that`s wise?" My usual reply came back, What could possibly go wrong. Even I thought that was a Cavalier attitude. Oh well I have still got the ALPHA, the Mig29 and f35 I have`nt maidened and with that thought launched. Nose heavy, and a bunch of up trim she was flying but only just. I struggled to keep her head on and then gave her a touch of left and she was racing down wind. It took me all my pathetic flying skills just to stop her from loosing control.
    I did have two minor accidental landings, but no damage at all. When running with the wind I needed rudder to turn but I had not fitted them.
    I managed one 2200 mha battery before sanity was restored and picked up the plane and returned home. I had DR dialed in but it still had a fantastic rate of roll which caught me by surprise. Now I can`t wait for the wind to die down so I can take her out again. If this plane can survive me driving in a wind like that, everybody will have fun with it. I was dead impressed:) Sorry guy`s my paint work does`nt do it justice. View attachment 36174 View attachment 36174

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 15, 2015
  15. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Wow, you wrote that like a novelist, Ian! I was on the edge of my seat while reading. The f15 is a tough one-just like that one that made a safe landing with only one wing!
    [​IMG]
    The lifting body fuselage is great for lift, but in the wind it gets caught up in it a bit. But, nose heavy is a good way to fly it in the wind. Thanks for sharing your story!

bogusbandit56 likes this.
  16. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

Thanks Greg I enjoyed it. Is that the f15 that collided with another and the pilot didnt realise he had lost the wing till he landed? Amazing, both planes, nice one Greg and Jay.

17. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Yes, that's it! He had to make a high speed landing but it made it!

18. jimbosflyin

jimbosflyin Top Gun

I took my F15's out today for thier maidens and they both made it back to base.Blue one has a 2200 kv motor and the brown camo one has a ntm prop drive 2700 kv in it,wow what a differance 014.JPG

Last edited: Apr 16, 2015
    CeeKay, malukk, Airflow and 2 others like this.
  19. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

Very nice builds and great paint job.

20. jimbosflyin

jimbosflyin Top Gun

Thanks for the compliments,I'm so glad they flew so perfect right from the start.On the brown one i moved the motor 1 1/2 inches foward to help with the weight of the prop drive motor and to bring it closer to the cg.

bogusbandit56 and F1wanabe like this.