FRCFOAMIES F-15 MK2

Discussion in 'FRCFoamies Plans' started by Boxermad84, Jun 18, 2013.

1. e3_Scott

e3_Scott Top Gun

Hi everyone -

FRC Foamies day at the field today:)

2014-03-11 11.26.49.jpg

Got a chance to fly my F15 MK2 in some windy conditions today, one of those early spring days where the wind was kind of swirling around, going from dead calm to gusts up to 10-15 mph with little notice, challenging but fun...:) The F15 MK2 handled exceptionally well in the wind (as I expected it to:)), like with most foamy parkjets as long as I kept the speed up a little more in the turns, say about 60% throttle versus 50% where I might be when it was calm, life was good. It could get a little "waffly" or start to wing rock if I let the speed get down too far in the turns, but other than that it still handled and tracked very solidly.

In my experience planes with perpendicular vertical stabs (F15, Su35/37, Mig29) all seem to handle much better in the wind than planes with angled vertical stabs (F35, F18, F22), but again, that has just been my experience.

I have close to 30 flights on this plane now and I'm really loving how it flies and how comfortable I feel with it already, so the next calm day where wind isn't a factor, I think it will be time for a little 4S fun...:cool:

Cheers,

Scott

Boxermad84 and Airflow like this.
  2. e3_Scott

e3_Scott Top Gun

Hi everyone -

I had a couple of "heavyweight contenders" out at the field today...:) My 25.6 oz FRC Foamies F15 MK2 and my 25 oz RCP Mig29 V3.

2014-03-14 11.25.44.jpg

I did get a chance to have some 4S fun with my F15 today, but a bit of a "fail" on my part as I didn't get any video of it.:oops:

However, I am happy to report that it is very FAST! I clocked 4 good runs on the HK Datalogger app on my phone, getting speeds of 96/93/92 and 90 mph from fastest to slowest as the battery ran down. A tiny bit slower than the Mig as I managed to get to 102 mph with it, but certainly not by much!

The F15 behaved exceptionally well, a tiny bit of torque roll as it really wound out, but nothing that would slow it down or make it unmanageable. It has been rock solid on 3S and I was worried a bit that on 4S I might get some zooming, so I put one click of down trim in the pitch and when I hammered the throttle, it just buried the nose and went straight ahead like it was in pursuit of it's prey!

Without a doubt it is the coolest sounding plane when it goes fast, the howl of the NTM 2700 on 4S with a 6x4 prop coupled with the air rushing through the big long intakes makes for the coolest howling sound, I hope to get video of it soon cause it sounds very cool.:cool:

So still absolutely no bad habits with this plane, rock solid smooth and predictable even at very high speed:) I have left a note for myself on my 4S batteries to remember to take my camera the next time:rolleyes:

Just an amazing park jet all round (at least for the way I like to fly...:))

Cheers,

Scott

3. ReDeYe

ReDeYe Cadet

Well i got almost everything cut out and glued together. The canopy is just sitting on top and the rear stabilizers are not glued in. Just need to add the air foils sand down the nose and rough edges and paint. I used Foam-Tac for the entire build. Cant wait to do the final touches to it and get this beast in the air.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

F1wanabe and ASD like this.
  4. Boxermad84

Boxermad84 Administrator

Wow, great job ReDeYe! Looks very sharp! How will you paint it?

Sent from my galaxy note 3 using Tapatalk pro

ReDeYe likes this.
  5. ReDeYe

ReDeYe Cadet

Thank you Jay. I have a couple of options in mind. I need to stop by Home Depot today and get some more min wax i am out. I want to start sanding tonight and fillling in. I thought of the standard grey with dark gray camo, The thunderbird scheme and one i found where boeing sexed it up... LOL

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

sgmoran likes this.
  6. Boxermad84

Boxermad84 Administrator

Nice! All will look awesome! Keep us posted!

ReDeYe likes this.
  7. e3_Scott

e3_Scott Top Gun

Hi everyone -

Finally got a chance to shoot some flight video of my FRC Foamies F15 MK2 on a 4S battery.:) As you can read in post #202 above, I had already done some flights with the 4S battery, but did not get any video, so here it is. Not the most ideal conditions for doing good solid speed runs as there was a bit of a crosswind, but it still goes wicked fast and every once in a while you might be able to hear the wind whistling through the plane as it zips around. F15 MK2 as I have reported before is rock solid in the wind and is a real joy to fly in any conditions.:cool:

Cheers,

Scott

Airflow, sgmoran and gibby1117 like this.
  8. Boxermad84

Boxermad84 Administrator

Wow, that was definitely hauling! Nice job Scott!

9. e3_Scott

e3_Scott Top Gun

Thanks, Jay.

Cheers,

Scott

10. ReDeYe

ReDeYe Cadet

Great Flight Scott. I cant wait to get mine in the air. Here are some updated pictures. I filled and sanded the nose last night. I shot some paint on it so i can see if i missed any large spots. Now i need to mount my air foils and fill in the rear section and sand it down.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

F1wanabe and e3_Scott like this.
  11. e3_Scott

e3_Scott Top Gun

Thanks so much, that is a very sleek looking F15 for sure! I will probably reshoot that 4S video on a better day, the way the sun was bright and the clouds dark everywhere else, I think it made for some bad lighting conditions, my T50 video on 4S didn't show up so well either, but I'll leave them up until I get replacement videos shot.

I look forward to seeing your F15 completed, good luck with the rest of the build and finish!

What sort of setup are you planning with respect to power system and controls?

I am very, very happy with mine, just has that really locked in feeling in all conditions and it loves to go fast, stays very stable. As you may have read in one of my previous posts, I found stock CofG was pretty much bang on for my maiden, I might have moved it back about 1/4" max to get zero trim in the pitch, it dialed in very easily, took about 6 flights to get it set up just the way I wanted it and I now have about 40 flights on it. Great all round plane for sure...:cool:

Thanks again!

Cheers,

Scott

12. ReDeYe

ReDeYe Cadet

I have an NTM 2700 Prop drive ready to drop in. Controls i am going to run elevon mixing in the rear with the addition to ailerons. I may put the ailerons on a switch. Don't know if it would be to much with them together. I think i want flaps as well not sure about that one yet i can mix them in at anytime.

Thank you Scott

Jake

e3_Scott likes this.
  13. e3_Scott

e3_Scott Top Gun

Sounds great, Jake. Elevons only is definitely a great place to start til you get the feel for the plane and then you can add in ailerons if you want to give yourself a bit more authority in the roll axis. I personally find that ailerons working with elevons makes my rolls and turns a bit smoother as I don't have to have as much input in the sticks to make the plane maneuver. All boils down to personal preference really, so I say find the combination that works for you and how you want your plane to fly:)

I actually don't have a ton of throw in my control surfaces to enable me to fly scale but I can still do some pretty tight turns, loops and rolls when I feel like hammering the sticks the F15 MK2 is definitely up for that when you need it to be. Normally the faster the plane might fly, the less throw I put in the control surfaces as more speed tends to make the inputs happen faster, so in an effort to fly smooth when I am going fast and prevent over controlling, I sometimes will decrease the throws and increase expo, but just my personal technique.

Good luck and if I can be of any help, please don't hesitate to ask!

Cheers,

Scott

14. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Jake, ailerons and elevons are great, and this plane flies great with the 2x4 set up. That is: running an aileron and elevon both off the same servo. That's the way Jay and I had this set up and it's beautiful. We make sure to have the ailerons moving half as much as the elevons. Not only is this a light set up, it's less complicated since you use a simple elevon mix, you have better roll rate than elevons only, and you have a spoileron effect for high alpha. All from only 2 servos. Flaps on this plane really aren't necessary since it flies really well slow. But, if you do use flaps you will need to dial in some up elevator because the nose will drop as soon as you flip the flap switch. This would not be possible if you have a 2x4 set up. But, I really don't think you need flaps. Let me say, though that rudders on this are the best out of any plane I've flown. I'd highly recommend them.
    FRCFOAMIES F-15 MK2:
    Jay Flies our FRCFoamies F15 Mk2:

www.youtube.com/gstrysky
    www.frcfoamies.com

ReDeYe likes this.
  15. ReDeYe

ReDeYe Cadet

Thank you guys hope to have more done on the F-15 by this weekend. I forgot to mention i am doing rudders too. I already have them cut out :). I will do the 2x4 setup than that sounds good to me. I had that set up on my f-22 v2 even though that was a bigger plane. I trust your guys judgment so i will go with no flaps and do the 2x4 with rudders. I can not wait for this weather to break. I know Greg you are dealing with the same thing rain snow than nice but 30 mph winds LOL... AHH just clear up and gives us spring please. Thank you again guys

Jake

16. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

You are right, Jake, from snow and cold to rainy and cold. Good for building though! Good luck! The F15 is really a great plane.

ReDeYe likes this.
  17. ReDeYe

ReDeYe Cadet

Its been a little slow going on this build. With a baby coming in 3 weeks its been hard to find time to build. I painted the rear stabalizers last night. In the eagle picture of the f15 cant really see the stabilizers so i just painted them with a carbon fiber look. Here they are. Have to finish some final sanding on the body and paint the feathers and eagle on
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. e3_Scott

e3_Scott Top Gun

That is an interesting paint effect, Jake, how did you do that to get it to look like a woven carbon fibre? Great job, looking forward to seeing it fly...:)

Cheers,

Scott

ReDeYe and Airflow like this.
  19. ReDeYe

ReDeYe Cadet

Thank you Scott.
    Ancient chinese secret....LOL
    I painted the complete stab black after it dried i took a shelf liner and covered the stab [​IMG] I spritzed it with a standard grey. Left the shelf liner in place while it dried. Once dried I spritzed it again with brushed nickle paint [​IMG] than shot it with clear. Enjoy

Jake

e3_Scott likes this.
  20. e3_Scott

e3_Scott Top Gun

Brilliant, thanks for sharing the ancient secret...:)

Cheers,

Scott

ReDeYe likes this.