FRCFOAMIES DE HAVILLAND MOSQUITO "THE WOODEN WONDER"

Discussion in 'FRCFoamies Plans' started by Boxermad84, Sep 21, 2013.

1. jimbosflyin

jimbosflyin Top Gun

When ever you get stuck on a build ask first with a picture of what you are referring to if you can.:cool:

2. solentlife

solentlife Cadet

Hey Guys ....

Lets go step by step ...

I paid and downloaded the zip file. Unpacked and found 2 parts to the plan pack. On opening each part - the PDF pages were listed as 26 pages. I printed but was surprised to see 50 pages printed. Scrolling through the PDF - I had not noticed that page 26 is a full size plan that then gets printed up in split pages. So the 'tiled' first 25 and then another 25 from the split full size plan page 26.

I accepted this because I have never seen a tiled plan go together perfectly - I have always had to print odd sections again to fill in a margin area or skewed line.
    On taping the tiled (first 25 pages) together - 'Part 2' ... the main spine and fuselage ends at the far right did not line up. I've hit another area just now ... lower fuselage right end .. part 2 ... row 4 column 4.
    So my question is ... is it designed that the final page 26 which prints as actually 25 pages is the one to stitch together ?

3. solentlife

solentlife Cadet

Correct ... in fact they are the small servoless retracts sold as general units by HK. Just a pity that the H legs are not sold as well ...

Wildthing likes this.
  4. hwilton

hwilton Airman

You can waste a lot of paper with tiled plans, getting pages trimmed and lined up correctly. Its possible with patience, but way easier to take the full size pdf on a usb stick to a copy shop, and you don't accept until you have checked the printed scale markings against a ruler.
    Have you done that on your tiled pages? Getting the printer settings all correct for 100% scale output.

Red_MGA and Wildthing like this.
  5. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

If you are having trouble , this is the way to tile full sized plans.
    https://www.rcpowers.com/community/...ed-plan-into-tiled-a4-or-letter-papers.20157/

Wildthing likes this.
  6. solentlife

solentlife Cadet

Trouble is my local town does not have copy shop capable of greater than 2x A4 size ... I am trying to find an industrial company who can do me a favour.

I've done the measurement checks and all fine ... I've been tiling and printing many plans over years and understand the pitfalls such as 'fit to size' vs actual, as per PDF setting etc. etc.
    But I have never seen a plan in such form as now - with 25 tile pages and then a 26th page which is a full size plan at the end ...

7. Boxermad84

Boxermad84 Administrator

Ah ha, now I understand what you mean, that last page number 26 is just to show you where each tile goes, it's not intended to be used for the plan and cut out.

Have you tried looking at online printers? I found a great place that prints and sends them in the post.
    Jay, from www.frcfoamies.com

Red_MGA and jimbosflyin like this.
  8. solentlife

solentlife Cadet

NOW I have the answer I was looking for.
    I'm used to having a full plan but in reduced A4 size ... not full scale showing each tile placed.

Many thanks ...

jimbosflyin likes this.
  9. Boxermad84

Boxermad84 Administrator

No problem, sorry it took a while for me to get it......

10. solentlife

solentlife Cadet

Interested to know what modification you made to fit retracts ?

11. Boxermad84

Boxermad84 Administrator

It was pretty much a cut and fit, I glued in a piece of plywood I think if I remember rightly, wasn't to difficult. I did it as a after thought after I already built the model.

12. solentlife

solentlife Cadet

Just asking ... as you appreciate - if someones invented the 'wheel' no point in inventing it again.

FYI ... main fuz spine cut ... just cutting the wings now.

Cheers

13. solentlife

solentlife Cadet

About 90% done with cutting out ... soon grab the UHU Por and PU ...

Hoping that I can find STL files to give me motor nacelle fronts to close up between spinner and nacelle.

Pal handed me the full size printed plans today ... we now have a friend with a 500 Series plotter can print any plan basically we need ... FREE ... well actually a bottle now and again.

Nigel

FED50H and Wildthing like this.
  14. solentlife

solentlife Cadet

jimbosflyin likes this.
  15. Boxermad84

Boxermad84 Administrator

That might just work if you can get the scale right! Nice find.

16. jimbosflyin

jimbosflyin Top Gun

Attached Files:

F1wanabe likes this.
  17. solentlife

solentlife Cadet

After many years of adjusting motors / spinners to have close up to cowl ... I find todays E offerings often have too large a gap for my liking ... So I often end up moving the motor back a touch to correct.

Please do not imagine I am saying about the models here !! Ever seen the Precision Aerobatics Mini Katana ? Gap is about 1/3rd inch !!

Nigel

F1wanabe and jimbosflyin like this.
  18. solentlife

solentlife Cadet

I note that the videos for building the Mossie :

1. Elevators cut straight across without the tip counter balance ...

2. Plan indicates CF spar across the stabiliser but video does not fit one.

OK ... simple things that really will not cause any problem .. I have included a CF spar into stabiliser and will cut elevators as balanced.

Motor Mounts ... Thingiverse have an excellent X mount specifically for X foam board 6mm. Does away with need for spacers and doubling. I use it on all my foam board models - its designed for the standard 28 size RCtimer / Turnigy motors.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2466778

[​IMG]

On the subject of folding the foam for fuselage / nacelles ... i notice that the folds leave significant trenches due to folding outward from the scores ... has anyone V'd the scores and folded inward so foam joint is outside ?
    Just questions ...

F1wanabe and jimbosflyin like this.
  19. jimbosflyin

jimbosflyin Top Gun

Some asked that question before,mesurements get thrown off and you would have to bevel the inside of the scores.

F1wanabe likes this.
  20. solentlife

solentlife Cadet

Does anyone ever fill in the 'trenches' ?

OK ... another question ... (is this guy never going to stop ?) ....

What do people cover their Mossie in ?

1. Nothing - just paint ?
    2. Paper and watered down PVA - then paint ?
    3. Ultra Light Nysilk and PVA ?
    4. Tissue ?

I'm considering #3 ... which I covered my Badius F3A in ... very light ... strong skin created ... matt finish that takes paint really nice.

Nigel

F1wanabe likes this.