FRCFOAMIES DE HAVILLAND MOSQUITO "THE WOODEN WONDER"

Discussion in 'FRCFoamies Plans' started by Boxermad84, Sep 21, 2013.

1. CeeKay

CeeKay Ace Pilot

You'll get more than enough thrust from that setup. . I never used more than 1/2 throttle and it was still very quick

2. ptybill

ptybill Rookie

Thanks Jay. Since belly landing is my only option it seems 2 blades are far less likely to snap off. Also just a tip/point. I did get 3 packs Of 3 bladed from HK and they break if you look at them too hard. I have some 8" props for my quads that swing both ways si I will give that a shot. With the stock setup on 3 s it was seriously fast :).

F1wanabe likes this.
  3. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

I was using 8040x3 gws props on 2s and never had any breakage until I put it in the van! Haha. 3 blade counter rotating is the way to go, but good quality is important.

Our Website :www.frcfoamies.com
    My youtube :www.youtube.com/user/gstrysky

Airflow likes this.
  4. Flybyknight22

Flybyknight22 Top Gun

Very nice looking Mosquito Eric!
    Those spinners make it pop!
    Do you have the size and source for your spinners that you can share.
    I would like to get some of those for my build when I can get to it.
    I have had the FRC Mosquito plans for awhile but have been working on other projects it's about time I got started on this one.
    What a great scale looking airplane of this famous legend.

5. EricR

EricR Ace Pilot

2" Dubro spinners from my local hobby shop

6. Marshall06

Marshall06 Airman

I see this thread has not been active for a while ... read the entire thread, purchased the plans and now just waiting to maiden the Mosquito ... it is my first dual prop in my fleet. Mosquito1.jpg Mosquito2.jpg

JTiger, jimbosflyin, homey666 and 8 others like this.
  7. ptybill

ptybill Rookie

For the record this thing is seriously fast and fun to fly BUT it seems that little vertical stabilizer is the weak point. I yanked it a one point and of course it broke and the aircraft experienced a rather serious encounter with mother earth. Way beyond salvage except for parts. Be careful and I would recommend reinforcing that stabilizer with something.

Wildthing likes this.
  8. TomMonton

TomMonton Administrator

Very nice.
    .. a nice scale look and ready for battle.

9. Marshall06

Marshall06 Airman

Thanks for the comments and I'll keep a serious eye on the tail stabilizer.

F1wanabe and Wildthing like this.
  10. Boxermad84

Boxermad84 Administrator

Very nice, marshal! We didn't have any issues with the tail in any of the prototypes or the final version, although we did use depron. Maybe if you use somthing a bit thinner or weaker than depron it could cause an issue, we flew ours on 2s originally but I used a 3s and flew really quick with no problems. Good luck with the maiden! You know what would look good next to that mossie?.......... [​IMG]

Jay, from www.frcfoamies.com

11. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Yes, I found no issue with the stabilizer except while driving down to see JettaManDan and FED50H and somewhere along the way it must have been cracked by the f22 that was next to it in the van. Even with a cracked stabilizer it flew but a little squirrely. If it were not for the stability of the cr props it probably would have been a goner. Do you have counter rotating props ptybill?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

hwilton, malukk and Wildthing like this.
  12. Marshall06

Marshall06 Airman

I'll be initially flying the Mosquito only on 2S ... I've always perfer slow scale flying with the warbirds. Yes, I've been eyeing that bad boy. I currently have a 63" B-17 that is awesome ... purchased, not scratchbuilt.

F1wanabe, Wildthing and Boxermad84 like this.
  13. solentlife

solentlife Cadet

Has anyone fitted retracts ?

Nigel

jimbosflyin likes this.
  14. Boxermad84

Boxermad84 Administrator

Yes, I did on the original prototype but didn't get a chance to fly it with them on.

jimbosflyin likes this.
  15. jimbosflyin

jimbosflyin Top Gun

I'll be installing fixed landing gear on mine,installing the pods and wireing today.This one will be stock but will probably be doing another with the upper wing plates extended to include the elevons and lower wing plates dimension thinned up to end just behind the elerons.I'm also going to give it a rolled upper fusalodge giveing it a more smooth scale look.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2019
    Wildthing and Boxermad84 like this.
  16. solentlife

solentlife Cadet

Thats good to hear ... I have the Hobby King Lancaster and the retracts for that are available separately and i think ideal size. I don't think the leg sets are available though ... I will also not do doors ...

I have a whole hoard of 3S packs and thinking to drop back to 1000- 1100kv motors and maybe 7x5 on 3S ...

One question ... when I printed the tiled plans ... instead of 26 pages - I had 50 pages in each set. I see that page 26 is a full plan and then it subdivides to print.
    While taping the first printed 25 pages together - I have found that the right hand end of nacelle spine and fuselage parts do not line up. So I had to cut the sections out to align properly.
    Which set of pages are we supposed to stitch together ... the first 25 (which I have trouble with) or the second set of 25 from the full page 26 ? I hope you can understand what I mean ...

Nigel

jimbosflyin likes this.
  17. Boxermad84

Boxermad84 Administrator

Actually you lost me on this one...... Those Lancaster retracts sound a good size though, I have the hobbyking Lancaster to!

Sterling101 likes this.
  18. I read it as,
    Nigel has a store bought Lancaster from Hobby King which has retracts in it, the retracts are available to be purchased separately but without the legs. the retracts appear to be ideal size to fit the FRC Lancaster.

Sterling101 likes this.
  19. Boxermad84

Boxermad84 Administrator

I got that bit, the part about the plans confused me a little.

Wildthing likes this.
  20. That part sounds like he is trying to print tiled and full plans at the same time. ;)