FRCFOAMIES DE HAVILLAND MOSQUITO "THE WOODEN WONDER"

Discussion in 'FRCFoamies Plans' started by Boxermad84, Sep 21, 2013.

1. aritchie71

aritchie71 Cadet

thanks so much for that quick answer F1! I don't have the counter rotating props, how do i do that please lol?! I will try with the 8x5 on 2s initially and then can have a go at the 7x4 on 3s once i get a bit more used to the feel of it!

2. CeeKay

CeeKay Ace Pilot

My original (standard) Mossie flew with twin turnigy 2826 1400kv and 30a ESCs on 8x4x3 props. It flew beautifully on a 2s 2200 (very scale-like) and was ballistic on 3s 1800s. In hindsight I should probably have gone for 2 blade props but I wanted the scale appearance

Flybyknight22, F1wanabe and Airflow like this.
  3. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Aritchie, I'm not sure where you are located but here's a screenshot of heads up rc where you can see the standard and counter rotating 8030x3 props...
    [​IMG]

Flybyknight22 likes this.
  4. aritchie71

aritchie71 Cadet

Hey CeeKay, thanks for that pal, I think I have a couple of those motors in the drawer, I can swap the motors over if I need to, I am limited to the size of battery I can use though as the ones I have are the only ones I have been able to afford so far!
    F1, thanks for that, I will have a check on ebay for some of those, I am in the North East of Scotland! I am hoping that we get a calm day sometime soon though as I have built your AlphaJet2, The Beast and your F-15 and of course the Mossie and I have to maiden them all lol!! I just love the designs that you guys are putting out, how about a DC-3 or an old biplane like a Gypsy Moth or that sort of ilk? I would love to see something like that coming out, I bet you guys could really raise the bar even higher for score and fold designs with something like that!!

Regards,

Andy.

CeeKay likes this.
  5. Boxermad84

Boxermad84 Administrator

Hey thanks Andy, Really appreciate it. i think another war-bird will be on the cards in the future, not sure what or when though.

CeeKay likes this.
  6. aritchie71

aritchie71 Cadet

Ha-Ha Jay, thanks for that, I will just have to keep buying your files until then lol!! I really love what you guys are doing, it has made it a lot easier and cheaper for me to be able to get back into this great hobby again after a lengthy break! I need to stop building models for now as I am currently waiting to hear about a house move and I am not sure that I can trust the folk helping not to break anything lol!! Please keep up the great work guys, I know that it's not just a handful of folk who appreciate it, there are legions of guys out there who appreciate it!!

Regards,

Andy.

7. EricR

EricR Ace Pilot

spinners and landing zip ties extended forward 20150411_211301.jpg 20150411_211217.jpg

8. TomMonton

TomMonton Administrator

The spinners are a nice touch. Offers a nice scale look.

9. EricR

EricR Ace Pilot

Tom, I'm going to get used to flying without them first then put them back on. Probably paint them gray too. I'm heading out today to fly this plane, Mig -29 V4, F-18 V4, Mig 2.88, and maybe a few others! Beautiful day here! Hope you all have a great day too!

F1wanabe, malukk and TomMonton like this.
  10. TomMonton

TomMonton Administrator

Tear up the sky's this afternoon Eric.

We will be expecting a report after all this too ya know.

11. EricR

EricR Ace Pilot

Great day of flying! No video to show as my camera did not cooperate.

Mig 29 V4 (with Power Up 450 Zoom motor and Kf4 ) flew great with tremendous speed! F-18 V4 flew well on elevons but I need to dial in the flaps.

Mig 2.88 (with activated canards) performed tremendously with some rock solid high-alpha... great maneuverability and a blast to fly.

FRC Mossie flew great for a stretch and then I tip stalled it, recovered and almost pulled it out :) but instead belly flopped from 4 feet up. Only one cracked wing at the fuse. Easy fix.

I tried my FRC A-10 MK 2 but I believe I under-powered it on the take-off, recovered enough to land it flat. Several cracks in the fuse and one wing pod dislodged. Should be an easy fix too.

Flew a scratch-built 70mm EDF Viggen on 4s, 40c battery. That plane was amazing as well. Low passes on WOT was a rush.

Tried another small scratch-built delta wing plane and learned first-hand about the notorious torque roll :). Torque rolled it into the ground nose-first on the first hand launch. Minor hot-glue repair necessary.

Someone had rolled the flying field runway grass with an asphalt roller. Best ground ever for practicing touch-n-go's with my Apprentice trainer plane :) .

The day was enjoyable and I learned a ton of new things. One lesson - you will crash... learn from it, repair or rebuild and keep at it.

Dave, Scott, Jay, Greg thanks for your designs and input! Everyone else who contributes their knowledge and experience, thanks! This is a great on-line community!

F1wanabe likes this.
  12. Boxermad84

Boxermad84 Administrator

Wow, what a day! Very eventful! The mossie flys very scale so keep your speed up in the turns or do the slow stuff up high. Glad it's a easy fix though!

F1wanabe and EricR like this.
  13. Boxermad84

Boxermad84 Administrator

Wow, look at this! I missed these pics some how. That looks awesome with the spinners! Nice work.

F1wanabe likes this.
  14. YKFlyer

YKFlyer Airman

Hi. I'm almost done my build. Scaled this one up to 120% which is as big Staples could print :) . So just noticed left airfoil Is a bit narrower than the right on the chord. Almost a quarter inch. So now I'm thinking the prints I got where off. And these are the last two pieces to go on :eek:
    Please someone tell me this was in the design on purpose. So much work just to fail at this point is hart breaking :( 1435420770685.jpg

EricR likes this.
  15. MIG

MIG Airman

wow, I got that tshirt as well/. Mine still flew with trim. You did great job with detailed build. Congrats..

miggy
    if ya aint crashing, yer not flying

16. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Ykflyer, they should be symmetrical, but all you have to do it shorten the longer one to match the shorter one. You'll have plenty of lift with the 120 percent build! Looks good!

YKFlyer likes this.
  17. jacktores69

jacktores69 Airman

after crashing the Guppy and the SU-34 and my slow flyer, ive built this slow flyer called " the fish". ill let you know what happens, hip this one flies and not crashes. I used dollar tree foam board and this plane is pretty solid and strong, should take a crash pretty good. this thing even has removable wings, never did that before. Door opens on the side for electronics to. should fly pretty good with the dyhedral of the wings but we will see.

Attached Files:

18. YKFlyer

YKFlyer Airman

Hurray! It flew :) Maiden my 120% last night was great. What an awesome looking plane. Had to put a 3300mah in to get cg in the shop but it still felt like it was a little tail heavy while flying. I could put two 2200mah but she's already a tad heavy coming in at 1100g. It's got lots of power though so maybe I'll try it.
    Got to say it was a good build. Everything fit pretty good with the only mods I did was on the tabs. Although some times I wish I had a third hand. Next paint. My nephew says it needs the old shark teeth and eyeballs.
    Thanks to the guys at FRC for a great plane.

20150629_172040.jpg

Last edited: Jun 30, 2015
    Boxermad84 and TomMonton like this.
  19. bsymons

bsymons Cadet

Greetings. I see you said you should probably have gone for 2 blade props. I have so far managed 2 flights with 3 bladed and broke blades on both landings. Using the 1400 motors and 2 blades do you get enough thrust? I had way more than needed with the 3 blades and how serious is the counter rotation. I only have a stock of 7 x 4 standard rotation props. Your thoughts would be appreciated.

20. Boxermad84

Boxermad84 Administrator

I would definitely go with counter rotating props, on one of the prototypes I used two standard props and on take off it rolled severely and landed inverted.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk