FRCFOAMIES DE HAVILLAND MOSQUITO "THE WOODEN WONDER"

Discussion in 'FRCFoamies Plans' started by Boxermad84, Sep 21, 2013.

1. TomMonton

TomMonton Administrator

I like the background music feature but use headphones to block the background noise. ...one with the bird.

I like the quality time it offers me tuning out the outside world for a few minutes. Play something on the mellow side on warm sunny day and tracking your plane in the air. It honestly does help me to concentrate on working patterns.

Was it you that run audio through a piggy back guitar amp ?

OpenTx simply rules ;)

CeeKay likes this.
  2. CeeKay

CeeKay Ace Pilot

I have a variety of different tracks programmed for different flights. I like to try and practice my aeros on the Sbach to a dance track and I have a very moving instrumental piece that I like to fly my big warbirds to.
    I haven't used a guitar amp (yet) but I do have a very loud speaker that I keep in my pocket ;)

Last edited: Mar 9, 2015
  3. TomMonton

TomMonton Administrator

Fun isn't it. .. like indoor competitions runs you perform out a floor routine to the music.

The temperatures finally come up some and I was thinking cool. ..gotta get out there. Everything is mush right now and really don't want to put me or the equipment through all that. ....it's not worth getting anything wet. Once it actually thaws the water will go down.

....so I wait.

CeeKay likes this.
  4. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

I went sloshing across my field today as well. Warmer air temperature doesn't mean much when your shoes are wet and frozen! Luckily, no wet electronics!

CeeKay likes this.
  5. CeeKay

CeeKay Ace Pilot

I know that feeling. Even wearing waterproof boots doesn't always help, I've found myself enjoying a relaxing long flight only to find that as I've been standing in one place so long, i never noticed my feet slowly getting stuck in the mud

F1wanabe likes this.
  6. Newt

Newt Administrator

Found this old video!
    It offers a sneak peak behind the scenes at the FRC Corporate Headquarters.

Airflow, CeeKay and EricR like this.
  7. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Nice Mark! I remember building those when I was younger

CeeKay and Newt like this.
  8. aritchie71

aritchie71 Cadet

Woohoo!!!!! The electronics have arrived, I can now get on with it and get it in the air, I am hoping to make another one with the white depron though as I think that the grey stuff is very soft compared to the white so this one will be the tester and the next one will be the real one haha!!!
    Thanks guys for all the support on these forums and by private messages, I really appreciate it and I hope to have some sort of video or at least a report of the maiden soon!!

Regards,

Andy.

CeeKay, F1wanabe and Boxermad84 like this.
  9. jacktores69

jacktores69 Airman

all you guys make your planes so well. when I make mine, they look a little bit rough on the edges, glue strings some places to lol. i now its important to change out the blades on the exact o knife but........oh well, practice makes perfect I guess.

Flybyknight22 likes this.
  10. pileit1

pileit1 Ace Pilot

That's exactly right jack. Practice makes perfect. Having the right tools helps too. Some on this board have been building model planes for DECADES!!!!
    It also helps not to rush. Take your time. After all, it's supposed to be a relaxing hobby.

Flybyknight22 likes this.
  11. aritchie71

aritchie71 Cadet

i have been finding the same problem Jack, the edges on my depron is often rough, I change my blades very regularly but I have been using the grey stuff which is a lot softer than the white, I am going to finish the first one with it and then make a second one with the white foam which is a lot stiffer and takes a cut very well, I will cut my teeth on the rough one and then have the one to keep lol!!
    I have a few things to do today before I can get onto finishing the plane and I can't wait to get down to it lol!!

F1wanabe and CeeKay like this.
  12. CeeKay

CeeKay Ace Pilot

Have to agree with the thoughts on the white depron. I was using grey depron as the sheets were larger and slightly cheaper but I found that the thickness wasn't always uniform between sheets bought in a batch, and it was always slightly thinner than white depron. My original Mossie, and the large one were built with grey and I found it to be ok but having used white in the last 3 builds, I'm going to stick with it from now on.

F1wanabe likes this.
  13. aritchie71

aritchie71 Cadet

I totally agree CeeKay, I am using the grey as I had a box of it here which I got at the right price(free)! I now have a box of white but I will try to use up the grey stuff before I start on the white, I have also bought a box of 3mm grey which actually cuts really well, interestingly though, when I ordered it online I went through their website and I noticed a listing for depron aero, I phoned them up to find out about it and the guy told me that it's about 15% lighter than the normal depron and it's white, after some more discussion I went to order one sheet from them and the guy told me that he would put one into the box there and then personally and it would be free for me to try out! I am now looking for a plane that needs 3mm sheeting haha! I think I have about 5 models on the go now in various stages of completion so I shouldn't start another one right now, we are going to be moving house sometime soon and I don't want to have too many models on the go as I don't really trust the movers to get them there in one piece lol!! I am wanting to build a 80" Vulcan which needs skinned but got to hold off from starting it!!

F1wanabe likes this.
  14. CeeKay

CeeKay Ace Pilot

When i scaled up the mossie to 150% I needed 9mm depron. Rather than pay a fortune for 9mm aero, I made up laminations of 6 & 3mm grey. I agree that the 3mm was a better quality.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2015
    F1wanabe likes this.
  15. aritchie71

aritchie71 Cadet

that's a good idea, did you use the 9mm all round or just for the formers etc and then skin using 6mm? I love seeing big models and when I was in the hobby many years ago I never had anything smaller than 72" span! Not sure I can afford to do that this time round but with the price of foam it's a lot more affordable so I will just have to see how much spare cash I can scrape together lol!

16. CeeKay

CeeKay Ace Pilot

If you go back to my earlier posts about the build you'll be able to see the progress. I used 9mmfor all the structural parts and some of the fuselage sheeting. 6mm was used for the wings

17. aritchie71

aritchie71 Cadet

excellent, I will go and look at that, I love the idea of it being enlarged though, big birds have such a great presence in the air!

18. aritchie71

aritchie71 Cadet

well, I have spent all afternoon going through the whole thread and gone through all your photos of your big build CeeKay and all I can say is wow! You have got my juices flowing for a big mossie, I am almost finished the standard one and I reckon that there could be a bigger one on the table before the flue has dried on the standard one lol!! I must hold back from starting any new builds until the house move is over and done with, I must not build, I must not build, I must not............lol!!

Boxermad84 and CeeKay like this.
  19. aritchie71

aritchie71 Cadet

ok guys, I am almost done, I will not post any pics yet, I just want to run my set up past you lads that know about this sort of thing! If the maiden goes well then I will post pics and hopefully some video! I have fitted 2 x 2822-14's, 2 x 30Amp esc's and I have a choice of either 1300 2s, 1800 3s or 2200 3s, I have either 8x5 or 7x4 props, will this set up be enough to power this bird, she comes in at a heavy 21oz, I can't remember if that is very heavy or almost on track though lol!!
    My humble apologies if I have asked a stupid question but as they say, if you don't know, you don't know lol!

Regards,

Andy.

20. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

aritchie71, it says that those motors are spec'd for 7x4 on 3s, so I'd go for the 1800 3s on 7x4 to start, as long as the cg is obtainable with the 1800. That'll give you over 30 oz thrust. You have counter rotating props? If not, id go with the 8x5 on 2s for less torque.