FRCFOAMIES DE HAVILLAND MOSQUITO "THE WOODEN WONDER"

Discussion in 'FRCFoamies Plans' started by Boxermad84, Sep 21, 2013.

1. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

On my 2s set up the plane was rock solid on pitch and gives it an extremely scale look when its flying all out. If you are using a 3s set up, a degree or 2 of down angle on the motors will make it less pitch sensitive.

Flybyknight22 and CeeKay like this.
  2. charles52

charles52 Cadet

Well, I maiden-ed my Mosquito today and it did not go well. Calm winds, clear sunny day, everything on the plane was set up to spec. It just would not fly at all. It pitch up to the right then the left then upsidedown and a nose dive to its death. I have not a clue as to why. I have yet to get an frc foamies plane to fly. The only thing I can come up with is, does it matter which way the counter rotating props are turning? I had mine turning, if looking at the plane straight on, prop at 12 oclock it was spinning away from the fuselage.

3. Boxermad84

Boxermad84 Administrator

Last edited: Jan 12, 2015
  4. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

First, sorry to hear that you didn't have a good experience, Charles52! One thing we warn pilots about is that we design the scale looking and flying planes like the Mossie, SU37, X32 Guppy, F18 and especially the X31 is that they are for the advanced builder and pilot. As Jay asked, have you flown warbirds? The straight wings can stall easily, and if CG is off, this is like a double whammy! They are much less forgiving than a parkjet.
    If you are experienced with Warbirds, please forgive me. But here are a few tips: Flying warbirds and any plane which is rudder dependent like these planes does take a different approach than parkjets. Although you can bank and yank this plane, you only have full control by using rudder to turn and using ailerons to keep the plane flat through the turn. Its critical to keep the wing flat until you get experienced with the stall characteristics. As the straight wing banks, the wings loose all lift and stall dramatically. So, until you get the hang of turning with rudders and keeping the plane level with ailerons it can be a little harry! Some newer pilots who have built The FRCFoamies Beast have had a similar experience since these planes are flown with heavy rudder input, and using ailerons to keep the plane flat through turns. In fact, a couple have called the Beast unfliable! Then you have someone like NEWT who is experienced and can take the BEast and make it dance.
    To answer your question about counter rotating props, I have found that the real stability comes from props spinning inwards towards the fuselage. Hopefully the damage is not too great and you can fly again soon! Also, did I remember seeing you are on a 3s set up? I definitely recommend a 2s set up even if it means propping up.
    Good luck! PM me if I can help further!
    Greg

CeeKay and Boxermad84 like this.
  5. charles52

charles52 Cadet

F1, I actually have an rc pilot with 40 years of experience maiden my builds until I gain enough experience as I have been flying only one season. He is kind of the local test pilot for a lot of rc guys and a wealth of knowledge. Mostly he just trims the birds out then helps me get them in the air after.
    The cg was a slight nose heavy and I was using Jays power set up on 2s 1800 battery, weight was 26.5 oz. I did not get video footage it would have been very short maybe 10 sec. It would not fly at all it just twisted and pitched all over the place, he could not get control over it. The plane was totaled. Anyway, I have fresh plans printed, ready for number 2, which I will try and make better then the first. There was a time when this would really bother me but rc flying has taught me patience and self forgiveness.
    Keep moving forward. Thanks for the imput.
    Charles52

F1wanabe and Newt like this.
  6. CeeKay

CeeKay Ace Pilot

Charles52,

when I first flew my Mossie, it was very twitchy and it always wanted to climb on even 2s power.
    As I said earlier,, for the next one make sure you dial in LOTS of expo and possibly reduce your throws on the surfaces.

Try mixing rudder with your ailerons for a more balanced turn as you'll very easily tip-stall if you give it too much bank.

I had it set up like this:

Aileron:
    Low rates = 100 % throw, 40% expo
    Mid rates = 100% throw, 20% expo
    High rates = 100% throw, 0% expo

Elevator:
    Low rates = 80% throw, 40% expo
    Mid rates = 80% throw, 20% expo
    High rates = 80% throw, 0% expo

Rudder = 100% throw, 40% expo

Ail-Rud mix = 30% (this was switchable on/off but it was usually left ON)

I never really flew the model on high rates as it was agile enough on the low settings. I tried medium for a while and it was pulling some very nice aerobatics! I think on high it would have been able to do a full 3D routine!!

Even my large Mossie (150%) needed the same setup as my smaller one (although I've since upped the elevator expo to 60%).
    Don't be disheartened with this setback though, it is a great model to fly once you get it dialed-in.

Flybyknight22 and Boxermad84 like this.
  7. charles52

charles52 Cadet

Thanks CeeKay, I will set my number 2 Mossie up with those specs and see what happens.
    Charles52

CeeKay likes this.
  8. CeeKay

CeeKay Ace Pilot

You're welcome.

I should have added that you shouldn't need any more than 50% throttle to take off. That will help to reduce the twitchiness during the launch phase.

9. CeeKay

CeeKay Ace Pilot

Craig\'s-mosquito-1.jpg

EricR and FED50H like this.
  10. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Wow Charles, that's unusual. From the first throw (at 1/3 throttle) the plane flew very stable in testing. However, Jay was at the Spocktra Fest last fall and put in a spectacular demo flight of the mossie. He handed Chimp the controls and exactly what you described happened to him. Too much throttle and over compensation.
    Here is my maiden flight raw footage.
    Mosquito Maiden Raw:
    As you see, rock solid and this was my first warbird flight. One thing that I said during this gave me an idea. Did you set your throttle ranges on each motor? Each esc must be calibrated individually on twin prop set up or you will have the plane yawing and banking like crazy as each motor produces different thrust. And it can be non linear too so that one motor puts out less thrust at lower setting but it puts out more at a higher setting because the range is different. So at launch the plane yaws to the left, and as you decrease throttle it'll start yawing to the right.

CeeKay likes this.
  11. aritchie71

aritchie71 Cadet

hey guys, totally love this plane, I used to fly a mossie years ago when I was originally in the hobby, I am just getting back after a lengthy break of almost 6 years and I have bought every one of your plans and have them all printed out and the beast is almost finished, just waiting for the electrics to arrive then a day without wind, it can be blustery here in the North East of Scotland lol!! I was wondering if you very talented guys are planning on producing any more warbirds plans in the future?! I love the warbirds lol!! Thanks for producing such great plans for us lucky folks to play around with!!

F1wanabe and CeeKay like this.
  12. CeeKay

CeeKay Ace Pilot

I spent many a happy year up in the North east. Where abouts are you located?

13. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Warbird are always on our radar, so we'll let you know aritchie!

14. aritchie71

aritchie71 Cadet

that would be great, I started to build a large spitfire some years back from depron but my life turned to sticky smelly stuff and all my model stuff got sold to a guy who swore blind that he was going to look after it all and pretty much sold it all before he was less than 5 minutes away, so I would love to see your take on a spit!!

Regards,

Andy.

F1wanabe likes this.
  15. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Ok, we'll make a note of the spitfire!

Flybyknight22 likes this.
  16. aritchie71

aritchie71 Cadet

That would be awesome F1! I have printed out the plans for your alphajet mk2 and I am now looking forward to making a start on it as soon as my delivery of depron gets here later today!

Flybyknight22 likes this.
  17. aritchie71

aritchie71 Cadet

I am just outside Mintlaw, about 25 miles from Aberdeen, where about were you staying Haggis Hunter?

18. CeeKay

CeeKay Ace Pilot

I know the area well. I lived in Lossiemouth.

19. aritchie71

aritchie71 Cadet

my partner and I go up to Lossie every year just to get away for a few days, we love it up there! Were you at the airbase?

20. CeeKay

CeeKay Ace Pilot

It's lovely up there. I really miss the area. I spent 8 years working there