FRCFOAMIES DE HAVILLAND MOSQUITO "THE WOODEN WONDER"

Discussion in 'FRCFoamies Plans' started by Boxermad84, Sep 21, 2013.

1. JohnFromOz

JohnFromOz Ace Pilot

Hi Jay, and thanks! It really is a lovely aircraft.

You know, I think I accidentally put a 3S 2200 battery in there, instead of the 2S I meant to use. I was flying an RCP Su-34 before the Mossie maiden and now I think back I'm sure I used a 3S in the Mosquito too. Seemed to go OK, although its obviously a little heavier. I'll make sure I use 2S next time, to assess the difference.

The NTM 1350kv motors are fine, with a muted whine as the plane goes past. I found she needed plenty of throttle, most of the time. The use of rudder is important in this plane, isn't it? I really do need to get some more flights in to get a good feel for the whole set-up. With luck, as early as tomorrow!

Cheers, John

2. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Beautiful John! What a nice tribute to the Mossie! As usual, great commentary. The rudder keeps the plane flatter through the turns and therefore less likely to tip stall. As with any straight wing aircraft, you can only bank them soon much before they tip stall, so this allow you to get sharp crisp turns with less banking. In fact, I was flying the Mossie with rudder and elevator at one point in an early flight. In your smaller field using rudder will allow you to make shorter turns and allow you to fly slower since keeping the plane flat increases the wing efficiency. 2s gives it more scale flying characteristics so give it a shot! Great work as usual ! Beautiful!

www.youtube.com/gstrysky
    www.frcfoamies.com

3. CeeKay

CeeKay Ace Pilot

I'm looking at that very option John. One of my Club members has a home-made one which is quite effective.

I'm also looking at a fixed u/c as Greg suggested.
    I've got a chance of getting a hold of a set of main u/c from an ASM DH Comet kit which (I think) would be ideal for her. Just waiting on a note of the dimensions to get sent to me and I'll take it from there.

F1wanabe likes this.
  4. CeeKay

CeeKay Ace Pilot

Great video John and a beautifully finished model.

The more I see the great weather in Australia, the more I think about filling in those emigration forms I have in my desk drawer...

JohnFromOz likes this.
  5. mytymedave

mytymedave Airman

Just make sure you land in Queensland.... Unlike the USA in Aussie land they go South for the winter weather.... LOL

CeeKay likes this.
  6. mytymedave

mytymedave Airman

Quite a stable you have there John.... I only have a Suzuki S50 but looking to get a Goldwing and trike it.. When you get over 60 then 3 wheels are better than 2.... LOL Keep the p[ic coming....

JohnFromOz and F1wanabe like this.
  7. broski

broski Airman

nice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

F1wanabe likes this.
  8. CeeKay

CeeKay Ace Pilot

That's OK, I'm in Northern Ireland so anything has to be better than our weather! :D

Boxermad84 likes this.
  9. CeeKay

CeeKay Ace Pilot

150% Mossie project: Update #1

Plans laid out and taped together. the size of this model is a little daunting even at this early stage.
    The ruler at the top of the photo is 600mm to give an idea of scale. Sheet 2 of the plans is just as big.
    Next is the laminating of 6mm & 3mm Depron sheets.

2014-08-30 09.04.44.jpg

JohnFromOz likes this.
  10. CeeKay

CeeKay Ace Pilot

Update #2

Slight change of plan. I cut the parts out and arranged them to see how much Depron is required before laminating.
    Going to take 4 full sheets (and these are the larger 1250x800mm sheets).

Now for the laminating, sticking down the parts and a well-earned coffee.

2014-08-30 11.36.25.jpg

JohnFromOz, F1wanabe and Airflow like this.
  11. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

CeeKay likes this.
  12. s7oneyuk

s7oneyuk Airman

I cut all my planes in a similar way to how CeeKey has them laid out at the moment. I find it easier to simply cut the (tiled) plans into each individual shape. I then lay them as i want on the foam (getting a tight-ish fit between pieces) and then draft cut them out with a sharp knife. Then i take each piece in turn and cut them by hand. I tried the sticking the paper over the foam method- but found that the glue was too tacky (maybe had the wrong glue here in the UK) - or that the foam got damaged as i cut through the paper into the foam. Doesn't take too much longer to do it in this fashion - plus i get the paper stencil shapes to keep in case i need to re-cut a piece after a break!

F1wanabe likes this.
  13. Boxermad84

Boxermad84 Administrator

Wow, that is big! I have a 67" p47 and that is huge! This is not far behind it....... Good luck! [​IMG]

Sent from my galaxy note 3 using Tapatalk pro

F1wanabe, apklug and Airflow like this.
  14. Boxermad84

Boxermad84 Administrator

This is the repositionable spray I use, not cheap! Asda sell it for about £8 and staples for about £10[​IMG]

s7oneyuk likes this.
  15. s7oneyuk

s7oneyuk Airman

Thanks Jay - i'll see if i can pick some up for the next model. Already have the Mosquito to paint - and the A10 is all cut and ready for assembly. Just need my carbon rods that i ordered yesterday to turn up before i can continue on that one.

16. Boxermad84

Boxermad84 Administrator

You should give it a go, just leave it dry for a minute before sticking it down. It's the best stuff I've found, used it for a couple years now.

F1wanabe likes this.
  17. TomMonton

TomMonton Administrator

Impressive. .. you guys are right. It's gonna be huge. :)

I've had my eye on the mossie as well but I've already committed to the cargo twin first. I have to sometimes force myself to stay on track and finish the one I'm on before starting another.

I'm eager to this one come together so keep those updates a coming.

Boxermad84 likes this.
  18. CeeKay

CeeKay Ace Pilot

Update #3

A productive afternoons modeling.
    All parts roughly cut out and ready for trimming and assembly. It makes a BIG pile of parts!
    2014-08-30 14.18.48.jpg

Fuselage and wing pieces joined, CF spar fitted to tail.
    See the second picture for comparison between this and the original.

2014-08-30 18.01.19.jpg 2014-08-30 18.02.14.jpg

JohnFromOz, apklug and Airflow like this.
  19. CeeKay

CeeKay Ace Pilot

This is the stuff I use. £4.49 from Homebase. Works in exactly the same way as the 3M stuff but at a fraction of the price.

2014-08-30 19.43.53.jpg

s7oneyuk likes this.
  20. CeeKay

CeeKay Ace Pilot

It was. The cinnamon and raisin bagel that accompanied it was pretty nice too! :p

F1wanabe likes this.