FRCFOAMIES DE HAVILLAND MOSQUITO "THE WOODEN WONDER"

Discussion in 'FRCFoamies Plans' started by Boxermad84, Sep 21, 2013.

1. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

CeeKay, I think you will need to up the motors for the 150% version. The weight never scales up like the size, so the weight will not be 150% of the standard size, it'll be more due to the need for extra reinforcement and larger batteries for balance and flight time on larger motors. I built mine light and its at 24 oz on 2s. I can imagine you'll be closer to 40 oz. Those 1400kv motors will be working close to 100% for a good portion of the flight, and would not be able to handle the 10 inch three blade props that I'm guessing you would like to use for scale looks? Something like these NTM's would give you more than enough thrust on 3s, 10 inch props and can even use 4s with 8 or 9 inch props if necessary:
    https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking...e_Series_2830_1100KV_Motor_US_Warehouse_.html
    This would give you maximum flexibility and would last a lifetime. I have not used props larger than 8 inches so maybe someone else would have better advice?

2. CeeKay

CeeKay Ace Pilot

Thanks for the advice. I've seen those motors used on a similar size aircraft and they do look impressive.
    I'm starting the build this weekend and I'll hopefully have it flight ready within the week.

As it's difficult to get 9mm Depron in the UK, I was initially going to build it from 6mm but to make things easier with the tabs and slots etc I'm going to laminate 6 & 3mm sheets . I'll take some photos of my progress and keep you all informed.

RobDavis and JohnFromOz like this.
  3. JohnFromOz

JohnFromOz Ace Pilot

That'll be an awesome project to follow, CK. Good luck! John

CeeKay likes this.
  4. Boxermad84

Boxermad84 Administrator

Or sure if they post it or if you are near to this hobby shop but you can get 9mm depron here
    http://www.stevewebb.co.uk/index.php?pid=DEPA9MM&area=ACCS

Sent from my galaxy note 3 using Tapatalk pro

RobDavis likes this.
  5. Boxermad84

Boxermad84 Administrator

6. CeeKay

CeeKay Ace Pilot

Thanks Jay,

I looked at this supplier but the unit cost is too much. I have to buy in 10's which would make it almost £100 even before I pay the ludicrous postage fees to get it sent over here.
    I can get 10 sheets of 6mm & 10 sheets of 3mm for under £50 including shipping. A tin of spray glue is £4.49 so it's a no-brainer really. I wouldn't have much use for the 9mm sheets after building the Mossie but I will definitely use the other stuff. My Mini-Mossie is going to be made from 3mm for example.

7. Boxermad84

Boxermad84 Administrator

Yes, I see your point! I would do the same I think! Good luck with the build!

CeeKay likes this.
  8. CeeKay

CeeKay Ace Pilot

ordered those motors today. Going to be running each through the same 35A ESC I used in the standard size Mossie.

I'll have a play with props to see what works best

9. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Cool! I have found the best stability from counter rotating props turning inwards and three blade props feel really good on the mossie. And look good. Jay did his first one with both turning clockwise like the original plane did, but he said he felt the torque roll just like the original had. Good luck!

www.youtube.com/gstrysky
    www.frcfoamies.com

RobDavis likes this.
  10. Boxermad84

Boxermad84 Administrator

The ground felt the torque roll more than I did! Haha!

RobDavis likes this.
  11. CeeKay

CeeKay Ace Pilot

I've got counter rotating props on my Mossie. It flies like its on rails.

Attached Files:

12. CeeKay

CeeKay Ace Pilot

BIG BUILD UNDERWAY

The Depron arrived this afternoon. Plans are ready, electronics will be here by Saturday. Should have a 62" wingspan Mossie by next weekend.

I must confess to being a teeny-weeny bit excited :D

JohnFromOz, Boxermad84 and F1wanabe like this.
  13. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

14. JohnFromOz

JohnFromOz Ace Pilot

Good point Greg. CeeKay, you might want to consider a pedal-operated bungee baunch system like this?

[​IMG]

I got one from HobbyKing a while ago, when I was flying a fairly heavy modified Bixler 2. The system is dead simple and makes launching a breeze, with the added bonus that you don't need a friend to help and both your hands can be on the controls when you launch. I plan to try it with my Mossie shortly. If you go ahead, I can give you a few pointers about setting the tension correctly for a smooth launch. Here's the HK item, for around $25. Cheers, John
    https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking...Assembly_.html?strSearch=Bungee Launch System

Attached Files:

CeeKay and F1wanabe like this.
  15. JohnFromOz

JohnFromOz Ace Pilot

FRC Foamies Mosquito - Review and Maiden Flight

I managed to make the maiden flight of my FRC Foamies Mosquito a few days ago, and it was wonderful to see such an attractive plane in the air. I had a little set-back on the very first launch, because I only gave it half throttle (the normal deal with RCP planes) but I should have given it full juice. It sank quickly when I threw it and instinct made me pull up sharply: the inevitable result was a stall from a few feet above the ground. No real damage, just a crease in the nose. I learned the lesson and the second launch went fine.

I've attached a short review and some maiden flight commentary in this video. Unfortunately I forgot to set my GoPro back to narrow view (a more zoomed in setting) so the plane is a little small at times but you'll have no trouble understanding that I like this plane a lot! I'm looking forward to another flight in a bigger area, with the camera set correctly. Congratulations on a really great plane, Jay and Greg!

Cheers, John

Newt, CeeKay, F1wanabe and 1 other person like this.
  16. s7oneyuk

s7oneyuk Airman

wow - nice work John. She looks beautiful (or is that "a beaut" ;)) in the air and in hand. It looks like you could have done with a bit more expo there - might have smoothed out the flight a little (but in a confined space like that - maybe you need a sharper response ?).

Great job.

JohnFromOz likes this.
  17. JohnFromOz

JohnFromOz Ace Pilot

Thanks Stoney. Yep, she's a beaut all right! Good point re the expos---currently on 30%, I'll bump it up to 40% and she how she goes. John

18. mytymedave

mytymedave Airman

I always look forward to seeing your build pics and videos... You do a great job with the detail on your builds.... When you did the Alpha Jet I saw the tires of a couple machines in the background... What do you ride?

JohnFromOz likes this.
  19. JohnFromOz

JohnFromOz Ace Pilot

Thanks Dave. I'm a bit spoilt for choice in the motorbike department:
    • Moto Guzzi V750 Classic - 2010
    • Moto Guzzi Bellagio 940 - 2011
    • BMW R1200 GS - 2013
    • Harley Davidson Electra Glide Ultra Limited - 2014
    We have magnificent twisty mountain roads in my part of the world, or coastal roads, or off-road tracks, or a combination. It's a wonder I find time to do any building or flying!

On that note, I'm almost finished painting my RCP V4 Mig-29 and I have the foam cut for the V4 F-18 (my second one after one too many bingles). I'm flying the Su-34 regularly, as you know, so I only have to tackle the Su-30 to have a the full set!

Cheers, John

20. Boxermad84

Boxermad84 Administrator

Excellent job John! Glad it went fairly smoothly for you! Was that on 2s? What do you think of those ntm 1350kv motors?