FRCFOAMIES DE HAVILLAND MOSQUITO "THE WOODEN WONDER"

Discussion in 'FRCFoamies Plans' started by Boxermad84, Sep 21, 2013.

1. Boxermad84

Boxermad84 Administrator

Wow John, thanks for posting again! Those motors and the props do great on 3s to! Very powerful! Great build, looks perfect

Sent from my galaxy note 3 using Tapatalk pro

2. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

John, this feels like it has a little weight, but with the wingspan and airfoil wing it feels light in the air even in the 2s set up, which looks and flies very scale. I put zip tie landing gear on mine and it just glides right in for landings. A little tough to take off with the zip ties without striking props, but lots of fun to throw it up then land on pavement.

www.youtube.com/gstrysky
    www.frcfoamies.com

3. Boxermad84

Boxermad84 Administrator

JUST FOR FUN! Here are a few sketchup images to show what went in to designing the mossie. A total of 2630 lines make up the cad drawing. MOSSIE1.jpg MOSSIE2.jpg MOSSIE3.jpg

4. s7oneyuk

s7oneyuk Airman

Ooh - i love the little exhaust detailing that you have added to the side of the nacelles!. I have the Mosquito all set to go to the paint shop now, finally got around to installing the motors just the other day. I just need to clear a little space to spray it as my newly built AlphaJet Mk II and SU-34 v4 have been getting some paint action in the last few days!.

JohnFromOz and F1wanabe like this.
  5. JohnFromOz

JohnFromOz Ace Pilot

Thanks Keith, glad you like it. The letters (and other markings) are actually printed on photo paper, then glued on with Foamtac or UHU-POR glue. Holds on fine. If it does start to life, a little dab of glue does the trick again. I create the markings in Photoshop, then print at the required scale. John

Keith_5031 and F1wanabe like this.
  6. JohnFromOz

JohnFromOz Ace Pilot

Jay, my brain hurts just looking at that! And here I was thinking I might have a go at Sketchup...forget it! I'll let smart guys like you figure it out! All that aside, it shows what great work you did with the Mossie. Nice one, mate. John

F1wanabe and Boxermad84 like this.
  7. JohnFromOz

JohnFromOz Ace Pilot

Thanks s7oneyuk! s7oneyuk? Oh, I get it! "Stoney, UK" right? Glad you liked the exhausts, Stoney, which were a late addition. They are nothing more than short pieces of drinking straw and some Depron strips, hot-glued in place. Sounds like you've been busy. Post some photos man! John

Last edited: Aug 22, 2014
    s7oneyuk likes this.
  8. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

John, right on! Jay and I spent 2 hours together on remote desktop doing our next top secret project and I can tell you that Jay has a real talent for sketchup design. You need to see the model in your head before even attempting sketchup because it will not render a 3d image properly unless you have gotten all the angles right in 2d! I'll practice on it, but seeing Jay have at it in sketchup was amazing. Oh, I did move a line or 2 on the tail, Btw ;-)

www.youtube.com/gstrysky
    www.frcfoamies.com

JohnFromOz and Boxermad84 like this.
  9. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Another detail I love are the radiators! They are functional radiators for the escs since there are exhaust vents on the bottom of the wing. So, scale looking radiators and good airflow over the escs!

www.youtube.com/gstrysky
    www.frcfoamies.com

JohnFromOz and Newt like this.
  10. JohnFromOz

JohnFromOz Ace Pilot

Hey Greg, thanks mate! I'm with you regarding the radiators on the Mosquito: a really clever touch. We've got some lousy weather here right now so I still haven't flown the Mossie yet. I added some zip-tie landing skids since posting the pics, to protect the plane and the props.

I watched a couple of tutorial videos on Sketchup and it might be OK for a simple plane, such as a profile job, but complex shapes looks very challenging. But, hey, congratulations on moving a couple of lines in the tail of the 'secret project'! Way to go, Greg!

I take it the top secret project is the "SP3 - Coming Soon" pictured on your website? I'm guess I'm biased but I was hoping for another classic warbird... But if it is as amazing as the Alpha Jet Mk 2 then I'm very keen to see the wrapper come off! By the way, the FRC website actually reads "Cooming Soon". Is that an attempt to replicate Jay's accent?? :D

Cheers mate, John

F1wanabe likes this.
  11. Boxermad84

Boxermad84 Administrator

Haha John! That my English mistake! The sp3 is "coming" soon plus two other projects! One jet one.......... ;-) not a warbird yet though! Can't wait to see your video for the mossie

Sent from my galaxy note 3 using Tapatalk pro

JohnFromOz and Airflow like this.
  12. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

One jet! Yeah! :)

F1wanabe likes this.
  13. JohnFromOz

JohnFromOz Ace Pilot

"One jet", hmmm? "Not a warbird"? Now you've got me thinking... Bring it on, Jay! Bring it on!

F1wanabe likes this.
  14. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

The TGY 3648-1450kv should be a good fit in the back of the sp3 according to what the picture shows. :)

F1wanabe likes this.
  15. s7oneyuk

s7oneyuk Airman

Yes - Stoney from the UK - thats it John!. I'll post some photos of the latest hanger line up soon. The alpha jet mk II is all painted and set to go. Got my latest delivery of 4 x motors yesterday so that i dont have to mess around moving motors from plane to plane!. I still mount them to the wooden mounts using cable ties - that means they can be replaced with ease. A trick i picked up on here a while back.

F1wanabe and JohnFromOz like this.
  16. JohnFromOz

JohnFromOz Ace Pilot

G'day Stoney! Hope the late summer there is still pleasant. I lived in Surrey (at RMA Sandurst) for two years in 1999-2000, a wonderful time although the British Army seemed to have this strange idea that I was there to work!

Cable ties? Interesting idea, might be worth a shot. Got a photo of how they are positioned? Or a link to someone's 'how to' post? John

17. s7oneyuk

s7oneyuk Airman

G'day John! Not so great on the weather front i'm afraid - we have a long weekend now - and have forecasts of torrential rain and strong(ish) winds for monday!. No flying for me!

...a typical british summer....:)

heres a link with some photos i took on my F18 V3. It works well and holds the motor just fine. Means you can experiment with different motors quickly. http://www.rcpowers.com/community/threads/motor-mount-design-question.16094/#post-194384.

JohnFromOz and F1wanabe like this.
  18. CeeKay

CeeKay Ace Pilot

I've already built the Mossie and it's a great model to build and fly.
    Based on my experience with the build, I've started work on 2 new models - A 50% larger version with a 61.5" wingspan and one at 50% smaller than the standard with a 20.5" wingspan.

My current one flies using 2 Turnigy D2826-10 1400Kv motors on 3s turning 8x4x3 props. Power output is 310W. I never go above 1/2 throttle on this setup and I have no problems with performance.

I'm looking for a bit of advice with motor selection for the larger model. I think that the same motors should be more than OK to use and was going to up the props to 10x6x3.

Would that be the best route to folllow? Should I go down to a 1000Kv motor?

19. JohnFromOz

JohnFromOz Ace Pilot

20. JohnFromOz

JohnFromOz Ace Pilot

Wow CeeKay! A 50 percent bigger version would really be something! Can't wait to see that! I'll leave it for more experienced pilots to advise on motor sizes, but I think some extra 'ooomph' might be needed on the up-sized version.