FRCFOAMIES DE HAVILLAND MOSQUITO "THE WOODEN WONDER"

Discussion in 'FRCFoamies Plans' started by Boxermad84, Sep 21, 2013.

1. GrumpyBear

GrumpyBear Airman

Hey, hey there Christo get in line! If Jay doesn't do a Lanc next then I am going to be very disappointed. (Note name here; GrumpyBear, bear without cubs not friendly, need to avoid at all costs,cubs=airplanes)
    Really Jay, you have already done most of the work. The fuselage and formers are only slightly different and all the same until you get forward of the cockpit; straight wing profile until outboard of the inner wing nacelle, then a tapered wing with dihedral to the outboard nacelle and wing tip. The biggest challenge will be to modify the nacelles you have already designed for the rads on the Lanc.
    And before you say it, I do not have the skills in "Sketch Up" to do this but I know you do. Hobby King could not come up with a workable design for the Lanc or the Mossie but you did at least for the Mossie.
    My build of the Avro Arrow is well under way, next is the Mossie. I hope to show case the Mossie at "Maiden Fest" this year at our local club, then at the "War Bird" rally here at our club later this year. I would love to let everyone who was interested know that a Lanc was on the way! Cheers, GB.

2. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

We have a fan named Neilo who has sent us pictures of his FRCFoamies de Havilland Mosquito. What an amazing job, and we appreciate the time he took to finish this plane the way he did.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is the email we received from him....

Jay and Greg,
    Here it is. I finally finished my mossie. I really like to thank you guys so much for designing this plane. I had to put LGs because our flying field is not suited for belly landing, but I'm loving every bit of it. Again thank you and hope to see another phenomenal airplane(pls. another warbird)design from you soon.

Neilo

So, you say you would like to see another war bird from us in the future? ;-)

www.youtube.com/gstrysky
    www.frcfoamies.com

3. Argonath

Argonath Top Gun

P-38 would be relatively easy to nearly clone from these plans. The front wing is nearly the same and it would just be the tail and electronics layout that would be different really.

F1wanabe and Newt like this.
  4. Newt

Newt Administrator

I was thinking the exact same thing.

F1wanabe likes this.
  5. Boxermad84

Boxermad84 Administrator

could not resist taking the mossie out in the great weather we had over the weekend. must of put 15 lipos through it!

6. Keith_5031

Keith_5031 Airman

I would love to see someones rendering of a P 38. Love that plane. Could someone try to put out some plans for one?

7. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

You fly that like a parkjet, Jay! Great work!

www.youtube.com/gstrysky
    www.frcfoamies.com

8. TomMonton

TomMonton Administrator

I noticed there it's some nice snap having the two propellers.

As far as balance...how bottom heavy is the frame on this? I did notice out was quick to right itself on a roll.

9. Boxermad84

Boxermad84 Administrator

It's actually got pretty much all its weight above the centre line, the wing has a slight dihedral so that's what you can see maybe.

Sent from my galaxy note 3 using Tapatalk pro

10. Maestro

Maestro Ace Pilot

It looks great jay! Are those turns by rudder or differential?

11. Boxermad84

Boxermad84 Administrator

Thanks, just rudder.

12. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

You can feel the dihedral in the wing when you fly. That plus counter rotating props makes this super stable! The original mossie had counter clockwise rotation on both motors, which Jay already tried, but with cr props it's is super stable!

www.youtube.com/gstrysky
    www.frcfoamies.com

13. Jaxxxx

Jaxxxx Airman

This is incredible work! Did he happen to mention where he got the wheels that he used?

14. Red_MGA

Red_MGA Rookie

You guys should have a look at Kermit Weeks "Kermit Cam" about his mosquito.

It's done in hd, and is two parts. Lots of interesting things to see.

15. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Thanks, Red MGA! Jay and I watched those while working on the mossie. I posted a separate thread on here about Kermit Weeks and Fantasy of Flight.
    http://www.rcpowers.com/community/threads/kermit-weeks-fantasy-of-flight.16147/
    I was in Disney in February when my wife and I visited my daughter who was interning at Art of Animation resort there. Fantasy of Flight was 20 min away. Unfortunately they reduced hours to Wed - Sunday and then closed altogether, so I was not able to get there. I've Facebook with Kermit about our Mossie and thanked him for his inspiration. He really does so much for preserving the history of aviation!

www.youtube.com/gstrysky
    www.frcfoamies.com

Airflow, Newt and lawrenceb like this.
  16. JohnFromOz

JohnFromOz Ace Pilot

Hi guys,

I previously started a post on my FRC Foamies Mosquito build elsewhere in the forum before realizing this thread was already active, so I'm posting here instead of continuing my 'orphan' thread.

I completed the painting over the last two days. I used a cheap airbrush to spray the dollar-store acrylic paint, rather than one of my good airbrushes. I also used a bit of scrap foam as a quick way of get the shapes on the upper fuselage, rather than all the time and effort to mask it up with tape. The finish is therefore not as clean as I'd prefer, with a few blurry colour boundaries, but it's come up OK. I've painted the Mossie in the colours and markings of No. 1 Squadron, Royal Australian Air Force, while they were based on Morotai Island in the South West Pacific in 1945.

We've got some unattractive weather moving in tomorrow so I won't get to fly her for a few days at least. Curses! I'm really keen to send her on her maiden flight! In the meantime, here are some photos of finished Mosquito.

Cheers, John

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Nice John! Looks perfect from here! I like how you kept the bottom white. That really helps me maintain orientation. Looks like it's ready to fly! This is another plane that loves rudder input. You kick the tail around for a quick turn or a smooth flat turn. In fact, you can fly this with rudder and elevator only if you want, although ailerons do add a lot of control. It's not crazy sensitive like the 3d beast though. Good luck!

www.youtube.com/gstrysky
    www.frcfoamies.com

JohnFromOz likes this.
  18. Boxermad84

Boxermad84 Administrator

Wow John! I love it, very nice work! I didn't see your other post so glad you posted here. How did you find the build? Oh, are those the ntm 1350 motors?

F1wanabe and JohnFromOz like this.
  19. Keith_5031

Keith_5031 Airman

Nice job, looks great. That's a cool scheme, I like how you painted the letters on. Congrats.

F1wanabe and JohnFromOz like this.
  20. JohnFromOz

JohnFromOz Ace Pilot

Thanks Greg and Jay! Congratulations to you both for an outstanding and original design. It must have been an epic job in Sketchup, Jay! I really am keen to fly her. I love the solid feel of it, a little bit of weight but nicely balanced across the spar. I'll certainly take your advice on the use of rudder, Greg.

For Jay: I used NTM Prop Drive 28-26 1350kv motors. Here's the original build post. I've copied it here for the sake of completeness, even though it's not in chronological order. Doh! I'll delete the other thread or if I can't do that I'll just let it wither.

Cheers guys, John

Hey guys,

I've just finished building the FRC Foamies de Havilland Mosquito fighter/bomber, an amazing British aircraft flown by many countries during WW2. If you'd like to see some great footage of the real thing, a beautifully restored Mosquito flying in New Zealand, check out this video:

Designed and developed by Jay Rothwell (Boxermad84) and Greg Strysky (F1wannabe), this is an advanced build that rewards care and patience. The result is 'score and fold' excellence, with a great scale look and lovely lines. Brilliant job, Jay and Greg!

I followed Greg's lead by deviating slightly from the stock build, placing the servos for both rudder and elevator within the fuselage. This makes for a cleaner look and less drag. I took Jay's advice on the choice of motors and props, namely: two NTM 28-26 1350kv motors turning counter-rotating three-blade 8x4.5 props. Electronics include an OrangeRX 6-channel receiver, a 2S 2200mah battery, two 25A ESCs and four metal gear servos. Jay has published a very useful build video, the first part (of three) can be found here:

Here are a few photos of my build.

Cheers from Down Under, John

Main plates joined and carbon fibre reinforced wing spar installed
    [​IMG]

Fuselage formers in place and control surfaces hinged with fibreglass mesh
    [​IMG]

Engine nacelle formers; take care, they are different, one for port, one for starboard
    [​IMG]

Captain! Klingons on the starboard bow! Oh, wait, they're just Mosquito engine nacelles...
    [​IMG]

Weapons of choice: NTM Prop Drive 28-26 1350kv motors
    [​IMG]

Right engine nacelle plus motor and ESC installed, lower fuselage done
    [​IMG]

Left engine nacelle installed
    [​IMG]

Fuselage almost done, electronics and servos installed
    [​IMG]

Upper wing aerofoils in place, and she's ready to fly
    [​IMG]

RobDavis likes this.