FRCFOAMIES DE HAVILLAND MOSQUITO "THE WOODEN WONDER"

Discussion in 'FRCFoamies Plans' started by Boxermad84, Sep 21, 2013.

1. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

You are too kind GB! That guy will be getting 2 more copters when he tells HK he never received them! Haha! 8x4's should do the trick too!

2. BarryM

BarryM Ace Pilot

Lucky copter guy GB and lucky he was close enough to you to pick them up. If I order 8x4 props now the chances of receiving them with the Christmas postal rush on before Jan if at all are pretty slim, I either wait until Jan to order or explore other routes:confused:

3. Newt

Newt Administrator

Heads up rc has 8x4x3 gws props in stock. Standard and counter rotating.

4. its actually HeadsupHobby.com now... no longer headsuprc.com but both will get you there

Newt likes this.
  5. GrumpyBear

GrumpyBear Airman

"You are too kind GB!"
    Thanks for the pat on the back Greg but I wouldn't that to get out. It might ruin a perfectly good "bad" reputation! GB.

6. Boxermad84

Boxermad84 Administrator

So i managed to get out and "maiden" the mossie. i actually flew it for about 15 seconds about a month ago in strong winds and two standard rotating props. It didn't end well! easily repaired as soon as i got home. I replaced the props to with a standard and counter rotating props to cancel out torque roll and iv been waiting for a calm day ever since! I got to the field very early to make sure the wind didn't pick up as it has been doing lately.
    so, we definitely recommend using a 2s lipo on this bird, such scale looks and performance from the 3 bladed props, it climes just like the real thing. very scale. I did try a 3s in the prototype testing and found it wanted to pitch up when full throttle was applied. I wanted to try a 3s again today and find out why it was pitching up. After the first flight i had it dialed in to where it would fly level on a 2s and 3s, even at wot. In the end i was using a 2200mah 3s and maybe 1 click of down trim to compensate the huge about of lift from the air-foiled wing. With the power of a 3s on twin 3 bladed props, the wing would generate so much lift it would just pull the nose up to the sky, added weight and slight down trim corrects the pitching problem.
    After a few flights i ended up adding more expo to the elevator as it was very twitchy at high speed. Over all i am very pleased i got it dialed in on 3s and 2s and still able to fly slow with no adverse affects. Here is this mornings flight. Enjoy!

20131228_092609.jpg

7. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Looked excellent Jay! You forgot to mention the swivel mount for your onboard camera! Did you have that on a pot? I was curious how you got that back to center without seeing it up close?

www.youtube.com/gstrysky
    www.frcfoamies.com

8. Boxermad84

Boxermad84 Administrator

Top secret information Greg!

Shhhhhhh, 3 position switch ;)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

9. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

10. FatherAndSons

FatherAndSons Top Gun

Jay, u definitely send a good reminder of my desire to build the Mosquito. Loved the swivel camera mount and the scale looks of the plane. I will be building mine in a few months, but due to lack of 2s batteries and a current lack of funding...i have been planning to build and fly on 3s and maybe buy one 2s battery just to give it a try. I was glad to hear that u were able to get it dialed in on both battery sizes. Look for mine in the coming months!!! Thanks for your incredible contributions to this hobby!!!

Airflow likes this.
  11. Boxermad84

Boxermad84 Administrator

Thanks very much bryce, you will be able to fly easy enough on 3s, I'm looking forward to seeing your mosquito built, will be amazing for sure

12. Newt

Newt Administrator

Such a beauty she is.
    Nice job.

13. Boxermad84

Boxermad84 Administrator

thanks mark, im going to fly again tomorrow if the weather is as good as today!

14. Newt

Newt Administrator

We flew yesterday too. 55F sunny and almost no wind.
    Now it is 32F and 3" snow on the ground! Ha sounds like winter in GB.

Posted your video on fb and now my friends are bugging me to hurry up and get my mossie built.

I think I will need to get you to paint it for me though.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

F1wanabe likes this.
  15. Boxermad84

Boxermad84 Administrator

Haha, fly me over and I'll paint it no problem! ;)

F1wanabe likes this.
  16. Newt

Newt Administrator

Wish I could Jay.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

F1wanabe and Boxermad84 like this.
  17. christobarnard36

christobarnard36 Cadet

Well, I got the plans all ready just waiting. I ordered a few things directly from China and because I sit in the middle of the desert it takes for ever to arrive. I want to do an experiment with this baby. I ordered a set of slow retracts from Freewing for the Mosquito specifically, with the tail wheel. Got scale counter rotating props with spinners. To be able to actually get the weight off the ground I got two 50 ESC with separate SBEC and two 15 size E-Flite 850Kv out runners. Will run two 3s 2200mha juice packs ( If I can fit them) Like I said, gonna try. If it works great, if not one of those things and we try again ;) That is what it is all about, try, fly, crash and try again

FatherAndSons likes this.
  18. christobarnard36

christobarnard36 Cadet

Oh hell yeah, I can't agree more. Warbirds rock. I was fortunate enough to have a flight in one of the very last Avro Shacleton's before it was crash landed a while ago ( I am not sure how many airworthy frames are left in the world today). Although not a WW2 bird but close enough. What a ride, counter rotating props the lot ( And yes, I did walk the prime walk on the motors before start up :D What a pleasure it was.)

19. christobarnard36

christobarnard36 Cadet

Jay, my last post was a hint :):D Some people love the Lanc, others…………………well other love all planes but a Shack can be fun

20. s7oneyuk

s7oneyuk Airman

20140111_093712.jpg 20140111_094949.jpg 20140111_093712.jpg 20140111_094949.jpg
    Let the fun commence! Looking forward to this build a lot..

F1wanabe and Boxermad84 like this.