FRCFOAMIES DE HAVILLAND MOSQUITO "THE WOODEN WONDER"

Discussion in 'FRCFoamies Plans' started by Boxermad84, Sep 21, 2013.

1. BarryM

BarryM Ace Pilot

I'm going to use the same colours as I painted my big Mossie, top will be Forest Green & 96 Grey, underside Cloud Grey together with invasion stripes, have to take a pic of them together when the paint job is finished...

ASD and F1wanabe like this.
  2. BarryM

BarryM Ace Pilot

Almost finished, It's been raining all day so there was no excuse, only got the control rods to make, fit the props & battery then check the CG, hope to fly next weekend at the club when there's lots of help around:)

Almost finished small.jpg

3. GrumpyBear

GrumpyBear Airman

Barry,
    That is looking great. I'm still waiting for the motors and ESC's from HK to arrive, talk about a slow boat from China! I was looking at the same props for mine with 1200kv motors.
    The snag I ran into was sourcing 3 blade spinners. The only ones I could find where du-bro and they 2" in diameter. I don't know if they are going to throw the scale look off so much that I remove them. I can get smaller ones but for 2 blade only again throwing the scale look off. If you don't mind I think I'll copy your paint scheme, looks like the real thing, great job! GB.

4. BarryM

BarryM Ace Pilot

Hi GB,
    I ordered a couple of 3 blade 2,5" spinners from HK, they are aluminium and I think too heavy (haven't got them yet same problem as you're having) for the Mossie. I plan to use the backplates after drilling a bunch of holes into them to reduce the weight then either vacuum forming the spinners or making them from foam....by the way no copyright on the colour scheme.
    Barry

5. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Barry looks beautiful! I Bought the 2 inch dubro spinners too but the mjv3 shaft is not long enough!

www.youtube.com/gstrysky
    www.frcfoamies.com

6. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

Wow, looks amazing! BarryM:)

7. GrumpyBear

GrumpyBear Airman

Hi Greg,
    I don't have any experience with Grayson's products but as you know NTM's have that odd prop adapter. When I did some reverse engineering, I found that the nacelles may need to be extended about 5mm in order to install the spinners. The thing I am stuck on is the spinners look too big, throwing off the scale!
    I keep thinking that if I could get a spinner small enough I could modify the nacelles to give the model a really scale look.
    It is such a great design; it deserves to be made as close as the real thing as we can make it. On the other hand, you guys have a great design so why mess with it. Only time will tell. GB.

8. Boxermad84

Boxermad84 Administrator

Hey Barry, that looks like a store bought plane! Wow, amazing, love it!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

9. BarryM

BarryM Ace Pilot

Thank's for the kind words guys, I thought the SU37 was a big paint job but the Mossie has just taken that first place by a huge margin. After yesterdays rain we had great weather this A.M. so no more work on the Mossie but spent quality time trimming the SU37, I never knew it could fly this good :).
    I did find time to take a pic of the FRC Mossie next to it's big brother though........

FRC Mossie & Big Brother small.jpg

ASD, Airforce101, Newt and 4 others like this.
  10. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

11. Boxermad84

Boxermad84 Administrator

excellent! i love it Barry, will look so realistic flying past!

12. GrumpyBear

GrumpyBear Airman

Barry you done good,
    They both look great; a tribute to the builder; I just hope mine will be to your standard! Well done Sir.

F1wanabe likes this.
  13. criznach

criznach Airman

I've seen at least one reference to the NTM 1200kv motor here. Are you using those on 2s or 3s batteries? They all seem to say 3s or 4s on the product pages. Will they work on 2s? Is that motor with 3s a lot to handle on this plane?

14. okolloen

okolloen Airman

I'm among those that have used the NTM 1200kv motors on this plane. I didn't even notice that the spec on the motor says 3c or 4c. I used a 2cell battery and it worked like a charm, offering plenty of power. I remember that Greg and Jay have said that a 3cell will give unrealistic flight performance. Having flown it with a 2cell I would have to agree, giving a Mosqutio unlimited vertical would be close to crazy.

I would really recommend using a 2cell battery on this plane.

F1wanabe likes this.
  15. criznach

criznach Airman

Awesome. I'm thinking about building one after Thanksgiving. I've been playing with a balsa glider for a few weeks, but I feel the urge to get back to my foamies. :)

16. BarryM

BarryM Ace Pilot

Got the maiden in at last, after lots of wind and rain found a gap yesterday lots of cloud cover on and off rain but zero wind..........
    Needs a bit of engine management much too much power, I'll trim it back on the transmitter.

Airflow, F1wanabe and ASD like this.
  17. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

18. Boxermad84

Boxermad84 Administrator

Nice Barry! To much power will pitch the plane up, you can shim your motors down to compensate.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Airflow likes this.
  19. BarryM

BarryM Ace Pilot

Greg it flies dead straight with the counter rotating props and turns nicely but as you say Jay with those supercharged Merlins under the hoods it does pitch up when power is applied, I was going to play with the CG but I think your idea is better. I'll do the mods and try it out this weekend that's if if the weather man co-operates.

F1wanabe likes this.
  20. GrumpyBear

GrumpyBear Airman

Wow Barry,
    She climbs like a home sick angel, maybe the 8x6 is a little much. After your maiden I might go to 8x4's.
    The order from HK finally arrived, 20 days exactly, from time of order, to my door. That boat could use your 8x6's!
    Funny thing happened though, I received a second order from HK. I knew that I did not order anything else but I got a box with 2 copters in it! Upon closer examination I found 2 shipping labels, mine and another guys. So I phoned the other guy, he had been waiting for his order for 6 weeks! The story ends with the real owner of these copters picking them up from my place, a happy camper, finally. Man I wish HK would get their s**t together.
    As always Barry, a tribute to the builder, great job Bro. GB.

Airflow and F1wanabe like this.