FRCFOAMIES DE HAVILLAND MOSQUITO "THE WOODEN WONDER"

Discussion in 'Scratchbuilding!' started by Boxermad84, Sep 21, 2013.

1. Boxermad84

Boxermad84 Top Gun

FRCFoamies deHavilland Mosquito
    [​IMG]

66e78449a6aa211a5b9ef7f345007576.jpg b6201c0489b21b4c4947304282e34977.jpg c585af4ccf564a0d5042ccc0372fa6f7.jpg c54792dbb1b266660d84c29032b77939.jpg

Hi guys, we are excited to give you a sneak preview of the next frcfoamies installment! The WW2 wooden wonder! The history behind this plane is amazing, back in the late 1930s early 40s steel and aluminium was in short supply and the British was in need of all the scrap metal they could get hold of to produce planes needed in the war. De havilland came up with a crazy idea of making a ply and balsa design, bolt two rolls Royce merlin engines in it and load it up with a mass of bombs! He wasn't crazy, he was a genius! He created at the time the fastest prop powered plane capable of flying at around 430mph.

Not only was the mosquito used as a bomber, it had multiple uses in the war. The mosquito used to fly above Germany armed with multiple cameras and gathered vital information of Germans weapon facilities. Once the information was obtained, the mosquitos would load up for a low level mission only skilled pilots could achieve. The mosquito would fly so low to get pin point accuracy that the pilots reported bringing back telephone cables on the tail wheels!

Here are a few pics of the prototype and a video to show how well the mosquito flys. I'm running this on twin 1534KV motors, 8x3x4 on 2s with two 25A esc's. More information on size will be added soon.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

www.frcfoamies.com

www.facebook.com/frcfoamies

www.youtube.com/jayrothwell

Last edited: Mar 8, 2015
    Red_MGA, gobber, Wsamoset and 3 others like this.
  2. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Top Gun

The stories about this plane are amazing and I wanted to fly one as soon as I heard them! As Jay said, it turned the war for Britain. The plane was made out of wood, had two hopped up motors on it and was so fast that it would outrun all German planes. Because of this, the British left off the defensive gun turrets and machine guns and just plowed right through all the German Defenses. Anyway, the missions these planes were sent on were truly amazing, and to see it as a score and fold plan is also truly amazing! As out motto goes, this is real "score and fold perfection"! I'm tipping my hat to Jay because he has really outdone himself on this one! Just when I think it couldn't get better than the A10 and SU37, he came up with this! I'm building one!!!

Newt likes this.
  3. criznach

criznach Airman

Super cool! I've been waiting for you guys to spill the beans on your new design. :)

F1wanabe likes this.
  4. Argonath

Argonath Top Gun

Very nice build. Great job!

F1wanabe likes this.
  5. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

Great! DH MOSQUITO Is my favorite WWII twinenginge fightet. I saw one in action during an air show at my airbase in the 90's. The engine sound is amazing, because of all the plywood that creates a very special resonance.

F1wanabe likes this.
  6. Boxermad84

Boxermad84 Top Gun

7. Boxermad84

Boxermad84 Top Gun

8. Boxermad84

Boxermad84 Top Gun

It's one of my favourites to! If you watch any on board video of the mosquito you can here the noise travelling through the plane. Awesome machine!

www.frcfoamies.com

9. gm3

gm3 Top Gun

this is gonna be sweet, i had the parkzone um mosquito and i loved the plane. to me it looks a little draggy and slow. also in the video it says it runs off a 2s 1800mah battery, is this a typo of is it really 2s? oh and kinda off topic but what ever happened to the frc f 22?

10. Boxermad84

Boxermad84 Top Gun

11. gm3

gm3 Top Gun

ok cool. on the top of the wing i see that you added an airfoil shape of some kind, does that really make much of a difference in lift, it probably increases strength by a lot though

12. Argonath

Argonath Top Gun

I just sat through the entire video (The last one) and it was very entertaining. I knew a great deal about this aircraft already but learned even more about it from this one. Thanks for sharing it.

13. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Top Gun

GM3, our f22 and the rcpowers f22v3 are similar dimensions and performance. We did not rush to put out the f22 so that we wouldn't be directly competing with the v3. After all, Dave and Scott have been kind enough to host us on this Forum! We have a couple more ideas, one of which will be done shortly, then maybe we can revisit the f22 at some point.

14. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Top Gun

gm3, with this plane its all about scale. I too have a parkzone mosquito (found an open box special for $40 after Jay started his!) and as you know even it flies scale. No bank and yank- rudder is important. So to continue the scale performance, we will recommend 2s power. Plenty of power, speed and performance, and even an awesome three blade prop sound! No Prop drives on this model, haha. That airfoil wing has a reinforcing beam running through it so yes, Jay has made an extremely stiff and durable wing with tons of lift and low drag.

Newt and Boxermad84 like this.
  15. Grabber5.0

Grabber5.0 Ace Pilot

It really is amazing what you guys can do with Sketchup and Depron. The intricacy of the folds and bends are incredible. Another great looking FRC plane.

Boxermad84 and F1wanabe like this.
  16. FatherAndSons

FatherAndSons Top Gun

Wow! What a great looking airplane. This looks really exciting. I don't know how you guys do it, but somehow you come up with multiple new designs faster than i can seem to finish one (from plans) :oops:. You make it difficult to determine which plane to build next :rolleyes: In fact, every time i think i have decided what to build next, you come up with something new and exciting. How do u expect us to keep up with you?!? :confused:

Just kidding guys. I really appreciate your hard work and the fun that you bring to this hobby!

off topic, but i am expecting to have some time off work this coming week and plan to make more progress on my favorite, most challenging build so far, the A-10. You guys have designed some awesome and unique planes!

Boxermad84 and Airflow like this.
  17. Boxermad84

Boxermad84 Top Gun

18. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Top Gun

Glad you like the plans, Bryce! Good luck with finishing up the A10. For me the A10 has a great story behind it too. Fly low and slow and shred stuff! At first look I think of it as a classic ww2 style plane - it doesn't look modern at all. Even the rotary canon looks old. I love twin props though and this plane has the performance and history to make me like it immediately!

FatherAndSons likes this.
  19. Boxermad84

Boxermad84 Top Gun

Haha, thanks bryce! Actually the A10 was almost completed back in June! This has taken most of the time in sketchup! And a week to build it as I was so busy! This mosquito has to be put on your build list or even pushed up to your next build! It's a new type of design for us with scale wings (dihedral and airfoil) and rock solid fuselage. [​IMG]

www.frcfoamies.com

20. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

F&S, You took the right word out of my mind ... Definitely not easy .. rather impossible ...
    to catch everything that comes out from Jay and Greg's Factory .... :-/

Boxermad84, F1wanabe and lawrenceb like this.