FRCFOAMIES CARGO TWIN

Discussion in 'FRCFoamies Plans' started by Boxermad84, Oct 25, 2011.

1. TomMonton

TomMonton Administrator

It was a beautiful day. A gentle breeze out of the NW (not a good turn), sunshine and in the 50's.

I run the Cargo Twin a few times around the park leveling it off. I'm close but I need to trim everything in a little more.

I did manage to dump 3 foam golf balls out the bomb bay doors. I even dropped a green army guy paratrooper to prove that it would work. It doesn't fly too bad considering it's essentially a mailbox with wings.

Taking off in grass was about impossible and had to settle for the left arm wing toss to launch my flight. I haven't thought much about landing gear because the motor's ride so high.

I'm going to tape a half moon like sleigh to the nose with hopes to raise it just enough for the wind to catch on a take off.

Oh the thing with the screwdriver ... I wanted to show where the servo's mounted and that there was an access hole to get to the arms. Then the battery bay itself is setup for dual batteries.

I feel a need to open a window into the nose area to move some air around when it gets warm out again.

20150119_223151.jpg 20150119_223517.jpg

Last edited: Jan 19, 2015
  2. Boxermad84

Boxermad84 Administrator

F1wanabe likes this.
  3. TomMonton

TomMonton Administrator

Lol. ..my color was good that way. I have enough contrast to stand out well.

I've ordered a Sony as20 since they're on sale right now. I've lost two of those stupid little keychain cams because they keep falling off my hat in the hot sun. So i decided to get a real one finally.

Yes the wifi version too.

F1wanabe likes this.
  4. Boxermad84

Boxermad84 Administrator

5. whatmovesyou

whatmovesyou Top Gun

Tom:
    Got two easy suggestions for you to try for getting off the ground.

One-- try a lighter battery
    Two- Grab a Popsicle stick (stick in front section of wing) or something and get the wing so it is a positive angle of say 1 to 2 degrees. Looking at the force vector diagram, now it provides an up force which should lighten the nose wheel so it bounces up and goes into the air.

Used this trick on student pilots when they built the plane wrong and would lift off the grass. Got my transport to hover real easy. See dave's 3d article.

Between controlling throttle and rudder, it will not jump into the air.

F1wanabe likes this.
  6. TomMonton

TomMonton Administrator

I was thinking slats. ..and you're doing this using a popsicle stick(s) if I read this right?

F1wanabe likes this.
  7. whatmovesyou

whatmovesyou Top Gun

Tom:
    Yes. All you need to do is elevate the chord angle. At the field, having no supplies, went to garbage can and pulled out a Popsicle stick. Put in up under the wing by the leading edge. Gave a degree or so(+) and it took off the grass real easy.

Here is my "portable Popsicle stick". Pot servo rotates wing, got up to about 25 degrees for takeoffs and landings(gets hairy-scary) on asphalt as well as grass. It is basically a "STOL" transport. One or 2 degrees won't hurt

Try yours and set up battery like mine and I bet that that transport will do the same.

8. TomMonton

TomMonton Administrator

My mind has been working on this as to ... what is my better approach.

I also thought an Osprey approach, lean the rotors upward slightly for take off. Flip a switch on a slow rate back to level flight once in the air.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2015
    Flybyknight22 likes this.
  9. TomMonton

TomMonton Administrator

I had to put the SU-37 on hold for parts. I need some little tinker toy connecting rods yet.

I wanted to revisit my "ground lift" issue I created when trying to lift off with the Cargo Twin.

Option 1: Add some leading edge slats.
    Option 2: Tape or glue a block underneath to slide on and lift the nose up slightly when on the ground.
    Option 3: Add another layer of 3mm atop the first layer and build a chamfer this direction.

Personally I prefer to use option 1. The wing anatomy is a 6mm XPS with spars and a KF layer of 3mm skin on the top side. Once in the air this plane flies like a dream. Plenty of thrust and comfortable to handle.

The photo is simply pinned on and it looks a little too steep to my eye, I'm going to thin that up a little more. The picture on top would be a side of view to show what flap deflection this will give me. End result will be a fixed slat similar to the f-18v4 leading edge.

Since you folks have played with this frame and so to my question.... am I going the right way before I tac all this down ?

20150221_114152.jpg

Last edited: Feb 21, 2015
  10. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Leading edge flaps are really helpful for slow lift- that should do well for you. The plane looks so good, Tom!!

TomMonton likes this.
  11. JoeBee

JoeBee Rookie

Cool plane!

TomMonton likes this.
  12. Newt

Newt Administrator

Hope to see it fly soon.

13. Boxermad84

Boxermad84 Administrator

14. TomMonton

TomMonton Administrator

I've come to revisit the Cargo Twin today. I built this little FPV thing to hang on something and decided to put it on my heavy hauler.

IMG_20150612_220043nopm.jpg

Simple enough but I took away a few things.
    1) focus it 'smore
    2) need a little down tilt.
    3) move the cam forward to clear the canopy.

This was a practice run to see how things lined up and all points considered ... not bad. All simple adjustments. The plane was running 1- 3s 1000 ma battery in the back, Dual 3s 2200 ma batteries in the front. I made her heavy to see how things played together.

I'm very impressed with the plane and it didn't struggle at all with the added weight.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2015
  15. whatmovesyou

whatmovesyou Top Gun

After watching and listening to the video, you talked about the flaps improving flight(more lift). Have you thought about adding a kf lift on the wing?

I just finished using a kf2 for the first time and it actually made the plane fly stable and slow. Perhaps you should think about experimenting with it, for my transport is super slow with a curved wing and real stable..

Flybyknight22 and TomMonton like this.
  16. TomMonton

TomMonton Administrator

I did add a kf2 skin on the top side using 3mm depron.

The leading edge slats I had added to help with slow flying.

17. TomMonton

TomMonton Administrator

found it

Sent from my SM-T537V using Tapatalk

malukk likes this.